• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Free wifi tether? Oh yes.. here's how

Spiicytuna,

The only change I would recommend to these instructions is, if you're just looking for WiFi tether, is to use Unrevoked root:

unrevoked

It's a dead-simple 1-button root.

Here's a condensed step list:
  1. Install and run Unrevoked root.
  2. Install HTC Sync from SD Card
  3. Install Android SDK
  4. Install Wifi-tether
  5. Perform my short list of steps above.
  6. Enjoy.

Hah.. ya that is easy. I want root for other things too. Good Catch....

Spiicytuna,

The only change I would recommend to these instructions is, if you're just looking for WiFi tether, is to use Unrevoked root:

unrevoked

3. Install Android SDK
  4. Install Wifi-tether
  6. Enjoy.

Can anyone confirm that built-in USB cable tether still doesn't work? A few people mentioend getting vision error 67, which is what I get. I called sprint and the rep told me I have to pay for the hotspot feature, but she coulda just been ill informed...

I am crazy excited about this!!! Must root first? Which method?

I am waiting to see which is the best method of rooting to enable tethering?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

Spiicytuna,

unrevoked

3. Install Android SDK
  4. Install Wifi-tether
  6. Enjoy.

When u say "Insall HTC Sync from CD card, you mean download from here? Moce it to the root of the SD card and then use a file browser on the Evo and install?

USB Tether still will not work...

For anyone interested I did a short write-up on the process I went through while working on this problem, if you'd like to get a better window into what the issue was and debugging something like this I've documented it in pretty good detail:

Fixing android-wifi-tether - Go, Forward

Well I personally did something a whole lot different then the most of you

I

installed the OTA update
d/l and installed the latest unrevoked that sticks
uninstalled it
d/l and installed wireless tether pre 14 (which is very important to get this one)

Tried it on my laptop and worked like a charm. Speed was slow but it worked flawlessly with no problems at all.

make sure you have root. install the latest prerelease 14. setup your config options. i had to restart tether in order to get my PC to associate with it.

I have root, but please explain this "setup your config options" as I'm having the same problem as the last guy there.

Followed all instructions on first post and "Unable to start tethering. Please Try Again!" If you guys get it to work, some detailed instructions on what you are doing would help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom