• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo 2.2 Overhyped?

For the price of admission I got:
1 Smoother operation, and faster loading of my apps/manager
2 Enhanced camera options with better quality
3 The ability to move apps over to the card
4 Flash, big improvement

without rooting (my warranty is all important to me)
I personally bought the phone based more on specs than anything. and it exceeded my expectations in most areas at the outset. (exception being the camera)
I vote : WIN
AND I like the name Evo....

Even though we will still have to wait for the jetpack.

Maybe expectations for some people were a little inflated. just a thought.

Nobody sees a difference because of HTC's crappy Sense UI. Honestly, if you want to see what a TRUE Android experience is, get your hands on a Nexus One, or watch this:

Stop with the ginormous font. Jeebus!

I didn't lose root (would NEVER have done that), flashing was painless, and it's MUCH faster. What's not to like?

I get the sense that many were expecting a hologram to appear above their EVO's calling them Obiwan.

This isn't an eye-candy update, it's a guts updates. And yes, it is MUCH faster.

If you don't believe me, nandroid it and flash back to 1.47. It will seem SOOOO slow.

Also, those of you who bailed on your root for this, you do realize that once CM, Toast and all those guys get their hands on HTC's code their mods are going to be 2.2 on steroids, right?

Anyway, just re-root. It takes, what 10 minutes?

Also, 98% of EVO users have NO IDEA how the thing even works (nor do they care). It is just a magic little box that makes calls and tells them how to get places. HTC Sense is for them. Only those of us who make sport of seeing how much we can mess with our phones without bricking them care about this stuff.

Reactions: rsa
I kinda like Sense, myself. As much as I loved ADW on my MT3G, I'm sticking with Sense for the time being.

But the guy yelling GET AN N1! a few posts back needs to get a clue: Sense is easily removed if you don't like it.

Think it just ploishes some things... rounds them out a bit.. hence the moving up a mere .1. Haven't really explored the camera upgrades that much.

Nice to see we got some EVO specific tweaks. I just wish they would have changed the name if the phone. It really is a stupid name.

Why? It really is an (EVO)lution

I still don't understand why people feel it was 'hyped'. There was a lot of coverage, of course...JIT is a big deal and so is native flash support and Cloud 2 device. Everything promised has been delivered (ok, we didn't get the 3D gallery...we'll get that soon enough). So, where exactly was the 'hype' that's being claimed?

I think 'hyped' is code for 'I didn't bother understanding what was being promised, I just read the headlines on forums'.

For me... it wasn't as huge of a difference as I thought it was going to be.

This having been said... the phone just seems to run better since 2.2. Add to this the increase I'm seeing in battery life and I'm WAY happy with Froyo.

If you knew what to expect you wouldn't think it was overhyped.

It's an update to the Android 2.0 Family, so you shouldn't expect a drastic change in UI or functionality. What has been hyped since the beginning, and IMHO has delivered, is JIT and Flash. 2.2 delivered.

JIT is the big change and just the fact that Linpack scores are 5 + times higher, and quadrant scores are 2 + times higher shows that JIT is truly what they advertised. Take a look at Phone Storage before and After Froyo. Availability grows, because the space android needs shrinks!

So here is my question to everyone that says it was overhyped...... what were you expecting? The phone to Grant you three wishes even if one of those wishes were for an iPhone 4? Where you hoping for the one with more g-b-s?

Hyped or not, its a free update.(you don't have to pay for updates like apple :-p) Google had the intent of making things better. Download it if you want, if you don't like it, dont download it. Simple as that

Back
Top Bottom