• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

TBH, although I may be warmer, I'm sure you'll have a better time with friends and family than I will surrounded by strangers.

Of course, if I could smuggle you on my plane I'm sure we could get into some serious trouble together and tear the island apart.

Maybe , but with strangers you don't have to worry about being judged for any behavior. ;)

[Hide]I do believe you are correct. And I've never been to Hawaii so it would be that much more fun. too bad you aren't gonna be in NYC ..... [/spoiler]

Upvote 0
Just flashed both and yes (other than the horrible bootanimation which I immediately changed) it looks pretty good.

Since it's a nightly I take it that it's not deodexed so I can't flash the "autobrightness" patch?

It is deodex but I wouldn't recommend flashing it on top of a modded rom

Reactions: CaptainRon
Upvote 0
I just got back from a get-together with friends, and I was pleased to see that one of the gang also had a Galaxy Nexus. Naturally we had to try Android Beam, since neither one of us knows anybody else with an NFC-capable phone.

Kinda surprised to find that there actually aren't many actual uses of Android Beam implemented yet. She successfully sent me a map location using Google Maps, but that was it. No way we could find to share contacts or photos, at least not with the stock apps. I can only assume that as more people get NFC capability, app developers will start using it.

Another one of the group was trying to flash an ICS ROM on his Captivate. (It was that kind of party.) Unfortunately it didn't go well, and now his phone is bricked. Won't even boot into recovery. That was painful to see... hopefully he'll find a solution!

Upvote 0
I just tried Netflix on my Nexus and it is great in HD. :cool:

And using Google Wallet is priceless to see the expressions on peoples faces.:D
^^^^ Hey, look at him, he just hacked the debit card reader...;)

My boss got mad when I tried to use Wallet at a Mickey D's at lunch. Apparently their machine was broken so it would never receive the payment. He was behind me in line and all the cashiers had stopped taking orders to watch me try to buy a cheeseburger with my phone.

He even blasted me on twitter for it. The old dude is learning.

Upvote 0
I count three boxers and a...?

I had 2 boxers and a bassett at once. I certainly wouldn't want to up that ante. You gotta be on your game to handle four dogs like that. Props to whoever can pull it off successfully!

I can't tell what the other is. I thought maybe a rottie but I can't tell. Regardless, they are definitely 4 powerful dogs and as much as I love the idea I know I couldn't do it on my own. I'd like to go visit them though!

Upvote 0
Morning everyone! It's the New Year's super crazy jumbo-sized RSRSS! The biggest stuff is towards the top, human interest and funny stuff at the bottom, but every link is worth reading, trust me. :) We've got apps and launchers, ROMs and reviews. The RSRSS is chock-full of Android goodness, so dig in!

Let's start off with the big story: Verizon drops $2 payment fee after severe customer backlash | TheNextWeb

Second biggest: Verizon explains December LTE outages, says IP subsystem was the culprit | The Verge

The Top 30 Android Apps and Games of 2011 | TechCrunch

Android Central Editors' Most Used Android Apps of 2011 | Android Central

GNex CM coming soon: First Look at CyanogenMod 9 on the Galaxy Nexus (Video) | Pocketnow

GNex MIUI also imminent! MIUI custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus | Android Community

TNW's Top 10 Gadgets of 2011 | TheNextWeb

Good start! Now let's get the others: HTC Unlocks Bootloader for All of Its Devices Released Since September 2011 | Phandroid

CyanogenMod 9 to feature revamped music player | Droid Dog

The Highest Rated Mobile Apps of 2011 | TechCrunch

GBM Editor Chris Leckness' Custom Galaxy Nexus Setup [How To] | GottaBeMobile

Check Out Some of These Unique Smartphone Homescreens | TheNextWeb

Galaxy Nexus Browser & Video Editor (Video) | Pocketnow

A Google-a-Day Puzzle for Dec. 31 | Wired.com

Is Verizon's LTE network more problem-filled than AT&T's? | IntoMobile

Pro Tip: Take Photos During Video Recording with the Galaxy Nexus | Phandroid

CyanogenMod's Trebuchet Launcher hurtles itself into 4.0.3 devices | Droid Dog

[Video] An Android Launcher That'll Wow You – The TSF Shell Pro! | Land of Droid

Swype Beta for Android Now Has Dragon Voice Recognition | Android Authority

Interesting piece: There Is No Such Thing as Android, Only Android-Compatible | Wired.com

Anyone have a smartphone and a tablet? Tablet Remote Lets You Control Your Tablet At Long Range Using Your Smartphone | Phandroid

Are phones bad for your health? [Infographic] | IntoMobile

Most Popular Android Apps and Posts of 2011 | Lifehacker

Most Popular Chrome Extensions and Posts of 2011 | Lifehacker

Want Some Android Apps? Check Out All Android Police App Roundups From 2011 + Bonus: Tablet Apps | Android Police

Gameloft Offering All Android Titles For Just $0.99 Starting December 29 Through January 5 – Droid Life

Introducing the Android Central Wallpaper Gallery! | Android Central

Google Books for Chrome now lets you read offline | The Verge

Does WiFi Help or Hurt Battery Life? (Editorial) | Pocketnow

AirDroid competitor, anyone tried it? Splashtop Remote Desktop Is Free At GetJar | Android Police

CyanogenMod Compiler project allows Android tweakers to easily make custom blends -- Engadget

Moving files through the cloud: your favorite free file-sharing services | Ars Technica

Confirmed to work on the GNex: MotoACTV Applications for Non-Motorola Devices – droidpirate.com

Android Returning to Linux Kernel | Land of Droid

Insync cloud storage service uses Google to undercut Dropbox | The Verge

From the "lolwut?" column: Patently ridiculous: Apple applies for iOS face unlock patent | PhoneArena

DJ Earworm Crams 2011's Pop Hits Into 5-Minute Jam | Wired.com

I'm not sure about you all, but I know I was wondering when they'd do this: At last! A sci-fi brothel near Vegas - CNET News

Following GoDaddy's lame SOPA reversal: GoDaddy Now Making Phone Calls Begging Customers to Stay | TheNextWeb

Time to Upgrade Your Parents - SlashGear

How the Hashtag Is Ruining the English Language | Gizmodo

Enjoy guys! Took me a while to sift through the thousands of posts on my RSS feed... who knew it would get so big in a week? :p

Upvote 0
Morning everyone! It's the New Year's super crazy jumbo-sized RSRSS! The biggest stuff is towards the top, human interest and funny stuff at the bottom, but every link is worth reading, trust me. :) We've got apps and launchers, ROMs and reviews. The RSRSS is chock-full of Android goodness, so dig in!

[Hide]
Let's start off with the big story: Verizon drops $2 payment fee after severe customer backlash | TheNextWeb

Second biggest: Verizon explains December LTE outages, says IP subsystem was the culprit | The Verge

The Top 30 Android Apps and Games of 2011 | TechCrunch

Android Central Editors' Most Used Android Apps of 2011 | Android Central

GNex CM coming soon: First Look at CyanogenMod 9 on the Galaxy Nexus (Video) | Pocketnow

GNex MIUI also imminent! MIUI custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus | Android Community

TNW's Top 10 Gadgets of 2011 | TheNextWeb

Good start! Now let's get the others: HTC Unlocks Bootloader for All of Its Devices Released Since September 2011 | Phandroid

CyanogenMod 9 to feature revamped music player | Droid Dog

The Highest Rated Mobile Apps of 2011 | TechCrunch

GBM Editor Chris Leckness' Custom Galaxy Nexus Setup [How To] | GottaBeMobile

Check Out Some of These Unique Smartphone Homescreens | TheNextWeb

Galaxy Nexus Browser & Video Editor (Video) | Pocketnow

A Google-a-Day Puzzle for Dec. 31 | Wired.com

Is Verizon's LTE network more problem-filled than AT&T's? | IntoMobile

Pro Tip: Take Photos During Video Recording with the Galaxy Nexus | Phandroid

CyanogenMod's Trebuchet Launcher hurtles itself into 4.0.3 devices | Droid Dog

[Video] An Android Launcher That'll Wow You – The TSF Shell Pro! | Land of Droid

Swype Beta for Android Now Has Dragon Voice Recognition | Android Authority

Interesting piece: There Is No Such Thing as Android, Only Android-Compatible | Wired.com

Anyone have a smartphone and a tablet? Tablet Remote Lets You Control Your Tablet At Long Range Using Your Smartphone | Phandroid

Are phones bad for your health? [Infographic] | IntoMobile

Most Popular Android Apps and Posts of 2011 | Lifehacker

Most Popular Chrome Extensions and Posts of 2011 | Lifehacker

Want Some Android Apps? Check Out All Android Police App Roundups From 2011 + Bonus: Tablet Apps | Android Police

Gameloft Offering All Android Titles For Just $0.99 Starting December 29 Through January 5 – Droid Life

Introducing the Android Central Wallpaper Gallery! | Android Central

Google Books for Chrome now lets you read offline | The Verge

Does WiFi Help or Hurt Battery Life? (Editorial) | Pocketnow

AirDroid competitor, anyone tried it? Splashtop Remote Desktop Is Free At GetJar | Android Police

CyanogenMod Compiler project allows Android tweakers to easily make custom blends -- Engadget

Moving files through the cloud: your favorite free file-sharing services | Ars Technica

Confirmed to work on the GNex: MotoACTV Applications for Non-Motorola Devices – droidpirate.com

Android Returning to Linux Kernel | Land of Droid

Insync cloud storage service uses Google to undercut Dropbox | The Verge

From the "lolwut?" column: Patently ridiculous: Apple applies for iOS face unlock patent | PhoneArena

DJ Earworm Crams 2011's Pop Hits Into 5-Minute Jam | Wired.com

I'm not sure about you all, but I know I was wondering when they'd do this: At last! A sci-fi brothel near Vegas - CNET News

Following GoDaddy's lame SOPA reversal: GoDaddy Now Making Phone Calls Begging Customers to Stay | TheNextWeb

Time to Upgrade Your Parents - SlashGear

How the Hashtag Is Ruining the English Language | Gizmodo
[/spoiler]
Enjoy guys! Took me a while to sift through the thousands of posts on my RSS feed. :p

Thanks Razor

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Meh, he's probably due for an upgrade. Just tell him to get a Nexus :cool::D

Unfortunately he's on an AT&T family plan, so switching to Verizon isn't financially feasible. I did tell him that I've heard good things about the Galaxy S 2, though. :)

I don't think he's given up on his Captivate yet, though. He's bricked it before (though not quite this badly) and brought it back.

Upvote 0
I've searched other threads and just haven't found the info I need. Some people are returning their phones and others don't think it is a big deal...

First of all, I love my GN! I can deal with the issues of button placement, battery drain, heat, speaker volume... Those issues will get resolved with updates or I'll get used to them.

The issue that has kept coming up over the past two weeks is call clarity. I know lots of people don't even use the phone part of a smartphone. I do. I keep having to ask people to repeat themselves - over and over! It is not a volume issue, the person comes across a bit garbled.

Is call clarity an issue that will improve with updates or not? Unfortunately, this might be a deal breaker if it is a hardware issue. Again, I love this phone and want to find a way to keep it - if at all possible. Could this be a defective handset?

Thoughts?

TIA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones