• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S7 Unresponsive

Something to bear in mind- the voltage on a USB cable when plugged into a standard charger/supply is 5V. A fully charged phone battery is 3.7V. So if you directly connect a USB supply to the battery terminals in the phone you will be applying excess voltage and possibly cause damage.

Something to bear in mind- the voltage on a USB cable when plugged into a standard charger/supply is 5V. A fully charged phone battery is 3.7V. So if you directly connect a USB supply to the battery terminals in the phone you will be applying excess voltage and possibly cause damage.

The phone is all ready dead. Trying to revive it if only for a short time to get info off the system memory.

Replace the battery? If the wires (USB) are taking the place of the battery to power the device, how am I replacing the battery?

I mean reinstall the battery.

Are the battery connections made with wires or contacts?

Either way, make the connections with the charger wires there.

Tap into the wires, or if it is contacts then tie the wires around the contact points on the device.

Reinstalling the battery makes contact points like this secure, and also allows any chip or control device built into the battery to work again.

Be sure to notice the + and - polarity of the charger and the connection points.

Here's how this great franken-experiment is going. At this point. I've ripped off the connection board from the previous old battery. To this board, I've connected the leads from the USB wires. Then I've connected the plug from the old battery board to its place on the phone's motherboard. Polarity is correct, at least from what I've seen online. So when you say reinstall the battery, I don't understand because there's no place to put/connect/attach said battery because the connection(s) from the USB wires and plug from the old battery board are taking its place. Dig? Is there anther way to try this? So effectively, there is no battery, just straight juice from USB power. I've tried from both computer and charger. Got nothin'. No joy. So sad. Oh, wait, there was that "unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply," warning coming from the computer is that means anything. I'm searching for other things to try. Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm really doing which kinda makes this fun if not very futile and frustrating. Ha!

Here's how this great franken-experiment is going. At this point. I've ripped off the connection board from the previous old battery. To this board, I've connected the leads from the USB wires. Then I've connected the plug from the old battery board to its place on the phone's motherboard. Polarity is correct, at least from what I've seen online. So when you say reinstall the battery, I don't understand because there's no place to put/connect/attach said battery because the connection(s) from the USB wires and plug from the old battery board are taking its place. Dig? Is there anther way to try this? So effectively, there is no battery, just straight juice from USB power. I've tried from both computer and charger. Got nothin'. No joy. So sad. Oh, wait, there was that "unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply," warning coming from the computer is that means anything. I'm searching for other things to try. Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm really doing which kinda makes this fun if not very futile and frustrating. Ha!

Well, it sounds as though you have made a great deal of progress, actually.

So, we know that there is not enough power via USB to power the device.

This is common.

You will need a real charger hooked up.

As far as transfering files, use NitroShare to do it wirelessly.

It may be that you still need to integrate the battery, maintaining polarity.

It does not need to be inside the device, but most likely will need to be connected even if it is dead.

The device is designed to run from a battery, and there is circuitry in the device and in the battery to try to ensure that this is the only way to run a device.

Yes, it sucks when faced with this, but look at what you have learned so far, and the skills and experience from some hands on DIY work.

Even if the end result is a failure, it really is not.

The lost data as a price paid for the knowlege?
Most likely quite a deal, although it may not seem to be right now.

Believe me, I have lost data.
It is crushing.

But in the end, life tomorrow is whatever it would have been anyway- data lost or not.

I dig what you're sayin', but...I still want my data back! Ha! I suppose if it's not charging from a new battery being charged from the phone's USB port, why would trying to franken-mod it work? Trying to think back as to why I thought this would work in the first place. You many be right in the that the battery needs to be integrated, but I don't see how that's possible seeing that there's no place to hook the battery into when its port on the motherboard is being used by the wired modification. I'll keep trying some other things for a bit longer before I give up.

you want to replace the battery because there are some additional hardware that helps with communicating with the phone.
But, if I replace the battery like you suggest, then there's no doing this supposed wired trick because there is but one plug for the battery/power supply. That being said, it looks as if this alternate power method doesn't work anyway. And, a new battery doesn't work either as it's not charging up or able to power the device. So, looks like the phone may just be a brick. Maybe there's some sort of hybrid approach. I'm missing. Probably not. I will press on for a bit more.

Not sure I know what you mean. The plug into which the battery connects will be taken by said battery. Extending the wires from the chopped USB to the former dead battery's header board also connects to the plug. Unless I'm missing something, only one can connect at a time. So, I'm confused how they can connect at the same time.

Not sure I know what you mean. The plug into which the battery connects will be taken by said battery. Extending the wires from the chopped USB to the former dead battery's header board also connects to the plug. Unless I'm missing something, only one can connect at a time. So, I'm confused how they can connect at the same time.

Add some wires to make the additional connections.

I think that may be a bit beyond me bailiwick. May have to try and look that up 'cause I can't see how that's done. Could be good, though. On a related note, someone mentioned sending this thing into ubreakifix. Horrible name. Know anything about them? I really don't care what kind of chop suey I get this phone back as, I just want the damn info. May be a lost cause be I'm still fighting. For now.

I think that may be a bit beyond me bailiwick. May have to try and look that up 'cause I can't see how that's done. Could be good, though. On a related note, someone mentioned sending this thing into ubreakifix. Horrible name. Know anything about them? I really don't care what kind of chop suey I get this phone back as, I just want the damn info. May be a lost cause be I'm still fighting. For now.

Do whatever you can.
At least you learned a lot about these devices that you didn't know before.

Hands on experience is the best teacher.

Back
Top Bottom