• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gas prices?

What are gas prices looking like where you live? They've been creeping up here in SoCal--to ridiculous heights:

gas-prices.jpg

Crazy! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well since i drive all over LA for my job, i see a lot of different gas prices. luckily i have a company gas card with Arco and their gas is cheaper. but lately it has risen from 3.99 to 4.99 with in the last few weeks. i think my boss would flip if i paid for gas that was over $5 per gal.!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
man the cost of living in LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just think of all the money we don't pay for heating 6, 7, 8 months a year, like other people!

It's been 13 years since I moved back here from Dallas. I have yet to see utility bills as high as I was paying there--13 years ago! I still chuckle when my gas or electric bill comes, and I remember what they were like in Dallas.

So, yeah, some things cost more here--but others don't. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So in the US the prices are determined by the State you happen to be in?

FWIW this is gas prices around the world.
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Priced in USD/litre, convert to gallons if required.

I'm in Virginia and I have family in California and they are always at least a $1.00 more, if not higher, than us.

Also, hurricanes, blizzards and other natural disasters affect gas prices. All the price gouging during Katrina along the East Coast was insane.

What is going on now is just crazy

Upvote 0
~$2.50 here in Mass

So in the US the prices are determined by the State you happen to be in?

Yes and no. The US learned in the 1970s to keep their thumb of the lever of fuel prices, so they are now mostly market driven.

Each state sets a tax rate per gallon and uses the money to maintain their roads or other infrastructure needs. California and Massachusetts have very high fuel taxes while other states have very low fuel taxes. So if states are buying fuel at the same bulk rate, the price at the pump may vary based on the level of taxation. There may even be county and / or municipal levies, but I'm not aware of any off the top of my head.

The other big source of variation is proximity to refineries and the means by which it gets from the refineries to the pumps. So if fuel comes out of a refinery costing $2.00 a gallon, the price at the pump will vary depending on if it is hauled 1000 miles by 18-wheeler vs 50 miles, or travels via pipeline for 900 miles and trucked the final 100.

As a last wrinkle, many homes in the Northeast rely on home heating oil for winter heat. Home heating fuel is simply diesel fuel with a dye added (dye is added to home heating fuel to signify that no fuel taxes were paid, don't get caught on a highway with dyed fuel ;) ), so it has a regional affect prices due to supply and demand.

Upvote 0
$7.36542 per UK gallon at todays average of £1.299 per Litre (low 1.239 - high 1.349 - exorbitant Park Lane / Sloane Ave 1.469 per litre.
(ref Waze standard 95 unleaded local prices)

USD 7.36542 per Imperial gallon divided by 1.201 (it says here) is

6.1327 USD per US gallon here around London.

I'm possibly off with my math and knowledge but end result:

Yeh US fuel not as cheap as it was.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
$7.36542 per UK gallon at todays average of £1.299 per Litre (low 1.239 - high 1.349 - exorbitant Park Lane / Sloane Ave 1.469 per litre.
(ref Waze standard 95 unleaded local prices)

USD 7.36542 per Imperial gallon divided by 1.201 (it says here) is

6.1327 USD per US gallon here around London.

I'm possibly off with my math and knowledge but end result:

Yeh US fuel not as cheap as it was.

taxes?

Upvote 0

Well,... apparently 57.95 pence per litre of petrol /gas /diesel (say £1.29 ltr gas at the pump) is Fuel Duty, while the price also includes standard rate tax (VAT) at 20% for pump fuel.

You may be in the UK as well and I'm not very smart so I guess that accounts for a lot of the price differential across the pond.

I'll let others work it out or explain better :p

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/fuel-duty

Upvote 0
Well,... apparently 57.95 pence per litre of petrol /gas /diesel (say £1.29 ltr gas at the pump) is Fuel Duty, while the price also includes standard rate tax (VAT) at 20% for pump fuel.

You may be in the UK as well and I'm not very smart so I guess that accounts for a lot of the price differential across the pond.

I'll let others work it out or explain better :p

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/fuel-duty

i guess u peeps pay for health insurance in your fuel. ok.

Upvote 0
~$2.50 here in Mass

Yes and no. The US learned in the 1970s to keep their thumb of the lever of fuel prices, so they are now mostly market driven.

Each state sets a tax rate per gallon and uses the money to maintain their roads or other infrastructure needs. California and Massachusetts have very high fuel taxes while other states have very low fuel taxes. So if states are buying fuel at the same bulk rate, the price at the pump may vary based on the level of taxation. There may even be county and / or municipal levies, but I'm not aware of any off the top of my head.

The other big source of variation is proximity to refineries and the means by which it gets from the refineries to the pumps. So if fuel comes out of a refinery costing $2.00 a gallon, the price at the pump will vary depending on if it is hauled 1000 miles by 18-wheeler vs 50 miles, or travels via pipeline for 900 miles and trucked the final 100.

As a last wrinkle, many homes in the Northeast rely on home heating oil for winter heat. Home heating fuel is simply diesel fuel with a dye added (dye is added to home heating fuel to signify that no fuel taxes were paid, don't get caught on a highway with dyed fuel ;) ), so it has a regional affect prices due to supply and demand.

It's similar with agricultural diesel in the UK, that's also dyed, and sometimes it's called "cherry". And is intended for agricultural vehicles like tractors. There are regulations on it, like it can be used on the road, but only within a couple of miles of the farm where the vehicle is registered. The police and/or HM Revenue & Customs have dipped tanks of suspect diesel vehicles, to determine if dyed, untaxed fuel is been used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OT -
That's the theory in part I guess. Mine and others' experiences of our "free" health services leave a LOT to be desired, but it's a polarizing subject.
Being a United States of American, I am curious. What are your experiences that leave a lot to be desired? I'm genuinely curious to learn.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones