• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Going to flash CM7, quick question about builds

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
I am going to flash CM7, I am coming from a sense rom. I am going to do a full wipe and use caulkins. But this is probably a stupid question, but I see there is a bunch of different "builds" for CM7. I have the "stable" build. Should I flash the latest "nightly build"?

nightlies are not the stable versions. they are tweeks that the cyanogen mod team are working for the next stable release. some of them might have bugs some may not. i had issues in the past with cm6 so i'm a little gun shy about the nightlies. but many people here uses them. i usually wait for them to release a stable version. try them out and let us know how they are.

I am going to flash CM7, I am coming from a sense rom. I am going to do a full wipe and use caulkins. But this is probably a stupid question, but I see there is a bunch of different "builds" for CM7. I have the "stable" build. Should I flash the latest "nightly build"?

flashaholics(like myself,lol)-nightly builds if you wanna test/play around
just looking for a nice,stable rom-latest stable version for sure.
im running the latest CM7 and i love it.:D

Cool,thanks guys. After reading more they say that I should use rom manager to flash cm7. Would it be ok if I just flashed it through recovery like I do everything else?

Also they say to use amon recovery, i use clockwork. is that cool?

ok so clockwork mod 3.0.0.5 uses a script called edify. most roms and other flashable .zip files uses a script called amend. both clockwork mod 2.6 and amon ra 2.3 has support for both scripts. so you should be good to go.

I have used amon ra 2.3 since rooting last year. Works great. Just flashed cm 7.0.3.1. Its really something.

If this helps, with that version I had to do a GPS and mms fix. And if you use sprint vvm get and install the latest version for cm7 from xda and then flash the Google apps dated 5/4.

nightlies are not the stable versions. they are tweeks that the cyanogen mod team are working for the next stable release. some of them might have bugs some may not. i had issues in the past with cm6 so i'm a little gun shy about the nightlies. but many people here uses them. i usually wait for them to release a stable version. try them out and let us know how they are.

Funny, I've always felt the stable releases for the Hero and the Evo were worse than the nightlies, but that's just me. Usually you can find a bug if a nightly has one, fairly quickly.

Ok I am flashed to CM7 Stable. I wanted to mess around with this a bit before I went to a nightly release. I really like it, my battery life is pretty good with the kernel that comes stock with CM7. I will probably flash a new kernel by this weekend, whats a good one?, I've heard the "titamat" or whatever its called is supposed to be good?

I only had one issue when after I flashed the rom. I did the visual voicemail fix that they suggest on xda. After I did that I couldn't call out and when I tried to call my phone it went straight to voicemail. But a reboot fixed that issue.

Also has anyone had any luck with that new google talk with the video chat? I havent kept up on the progress over on xda. I know it works, but does anyone have any idea of which one works best with cm7?

Thanks for everyones help!

Just throwing it out there: I've flashed CM7 from ROM manager plenty of times out of sheer laziness. It works just fine.

As long as you do your NANDroid backup before you flash anything, you don't really have to worry about shit hitting the fan.

Ok I am flashed to CM7 Stable. I wanted to mess around with this a bit before I went to a nightly release. I really like it, my battery life is pretty good with the kernel that comes stock with CM7. I will probably flash a new kernel by this weekend, whats a good one?, I've heard the "titamat" or whatever its called is supposed to be good?

I only had one issue when after I flashed the rom. I did the visual voicemail fix that they suggest on xda. After I did that I couldn't call out and when I tried to call my phone it went straight to voicemail. But a reboot fixed that issue.

Also has anyone had any luck with that new google talk with the video chat? I havent kept up on the progress over on xda. I know it works, but does anyone have any idea of which one works best with cm7?

tiamat all the way!! i love this kernel. my only hope is that it works just as well for you as it does for me. give it a try and see.

glad you got the sprint vvm fixed and working.

i do not use video chat so no help there sorry.

tiamat all the way!! i love this kernel. my only hope is that it works just as well for you as it does for me. give it a try and see.

glad you got the sprint vvm fixed and working.

i do not use video chat so no help there sorry.

Thanks man! I really like the tiamat kernel. Maybe its a placebo effect but it seems like my phone boots up quicker now that i've applied the tiamat kernel. So now I am researching what I can do with cm7.

Thanks man! I really like the tiamat kernel. Maybe its a placebo effect but it seems like my phone boots up quicker now that i've applied the tiamat kernel. So now I am researching what I can do with cm7.

check this out:
YouTube - EVO-Tainment DIY Kit

cm7 is the only one that supports bluetooth for the wii remote!:D

also check this out as well:
YouTube - ‪Lokifish's HTV Evo "Desktop PC" Demo (UPDATE-CM7 IS A GO!!!)‬‏

as a desktop computer. are you kidding me. here is the link for the info: Use your EVO as a "Desktop PC", Now With CM7 Goodness!!! - xda-developers

both of these are on cm7!!!!!

Just throwing it out there: I've flashed CM7 from ROM manager plenty of times out of sheer laziness. It works just fine.

As long as you do your NANDroid backup before you flash anything, you don't really have to worry about shit hitting the fan.

I flashed CM7 this morning using Rom Manager and things seem to be working great. Only issue was GPS and I followed the posted steps to fix that. Now I am dialed in and I think the phone is better than with stock or Fresh ROM. And my GPS is the best it has ever been.

I flashed CM7 this morning using Rom Manager and things seem to be working great. Only issue was GPS and I followed the posted steps to fix that. Now I am dialed in and I think the phone is better than with stock or Fresh ROM. And my GPS is the best it has ever been.

My man. It doesn't get any better.

If I'm not mistaken, since you flashed the stable release of CM7, you will still have 2.3.3;) 2.3.4 are in the nightlies and this along with the correct gapps will give you GTalk video chat

Back