• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]S-OFF and ROOT HTC Desire with Revolutionary - Windows (published 4th November 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dan,

I originally changed it to what you suggested, then I thought "Hang on, I did this when I was on 2.2, so the title shouldn't imply it's only for 2.3" so I just put for HTC Desire.

Tell me, what happens if you've upgraded to 2.3 official yet not one of the two HBoots currently supported by Revolutionary? Are you unable to S-Off and root?
revolutionary is the only way to root a 2.3.3 official rom due to the hboot versions.
there is not a higher hboot than the current ones supported by revolutionary and i dont believe that will changed as htc seemed to have stopped updating desire now.

revolutionary is the only way to root a 2.3.3 official rom due to the hboot versions.
there is not a higher hboot than the current ones supported by revolutionary and i dont believe that will changed as htc seemed to have stopped updating desire now.

Ah, so upgrading to 2.3 changes the hboot to one that revolutionary can soff?

revolutionary and s-off all hboots for desire
it was alpharev that could only s-off up to 0.93

Im sure i read on the revo site it can only do 0.93 and 1.06 hboots for the desire....but im too lazy to check!

Edit: checked

Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:

HTC Desire (bravo) 0.93.0001, 1.02.0001 HTC Desire CDMA (bravoc) 1.06.0000

Im assuming the official 2.3 upgrade makes you 1.02.0001 as i was on 2.2 with 0.93

Im sure i read on the revo site it can only do 0.93 and 1.06 hboots for the desire....but im too lazy to check!

Edit: checked

Im assuming the official 2.3 upgrade makes you 1.02.0001 as i was on 2.2 with 0.93
1.02 is the gb official afaik

Just before I attempt this the power on/volume down doesn't seem to work to check the version number ?

Do I need a minimum about of space on my storage card ?

Can I do a full back before doing it ? If so, what is the best app to use?

Oh and now i understood that if i want to flash recovery I should use Android Flasher and this would make my life a lot easier. Thank you very much, I've solved all of my problems, ClockworkMod is running :). Next time I'll read FAQs more carefully :)

android flasher is good but sometimes you need fastboot knowledge for other things like erasing certain data outside of recovery if you change a hboot
its still worth looking at the faq
i always use fastboot

Finally got my version, removing the battery did the trick PVT1 - HBOOT 1.02

Can some please confirm can you backup the phone prior to the process ? If so, what do you use ?

Do I need a minimum amount of room on my sd card ?

How do I check that all the contacts on my phone are stored in my Google account and not on the phone ? If on the phone will they be retained ?

Prior to being rooted i do not know of any app that will backup everything.

I used appsaver to backup the apps. It doesnt backup the data though so its like installing the app from scratch.
I backed up contacts in the htc people app (it stores it on your sd card) by pressing menu and export to sd, as well as google sync backing them up. You can then restore on any Android contacts app.

If you chose to sync now your contacts, they will be backed up in google, and will restore when you log in and sync your phone for the first time.

Never bothered backing up sms but there are apps for it.

Once s-off and custom recovery installed you can make a nandroid backup in recovery before running the root zip, although i didnt bother. That will backup everything.

The beauty of revolutionary and unrevoked is, from my experience, that if they cant do what they want, they tell you and stop trying and your phone will be ok still. Its when you start disconnecting while its running or flashing corrupted files outside of these programs that you run into trouble.

Of course they put up disclaimers just in case, but ive not heard of their programs harming a phone.

If on the phone will they be retained ?

If the process is successful you will not notice any difference other than a pink revolutionary label above your hboot info and a superuser app in your app drawer.

Everything will still be retained on your phone.

It's getting late and i'm getting tired here in the UK.

What am I doing wrong trying to get s-off
C:\Documents and Settings\wac>"fastboot flash Recovery C:\recovery.img"
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Ok moved on my fault for not downloading the SDK Tools. Now done but

C:\sdktools>fastboot flash Recovery C:\recovery.img
sending 'Recovery' (3936 KB)... OKAY [ 0.797s]
writing 'Recovery'... FAILED (remote: partition does not exist!)
finished. total time: 0.797s

C:\sdktools>C:\sdktools>fastboot flash Recovery C:\recovery.img

C:\sdktools>

Help pleaseee

Ok moved on my fault for not downloading the SDK Tools. Now done but

C:\sdktools>fastboot flash Recovery C:\recovery.img

C:\sdktools>C:\sdktools>fastboot flash Recovery C:\recovery.img

C:\sdktools>

Help pleaseee
why are you using a capital R in recovery?
no one told you to do that

Yeah I sussed that, now happily run DGB.It's breathed new life into my desire.

Looks like I'll be looking for sim only deal in June!

Do I still need to trick the desire to use the SD as internal storage ?

I've installed move2sd enabler and my internal space is currently 80mb. Will any
app I install now have the ability to move to the SD card ?

Yeah I sussed that, now happily run DGB.It's breathed new life into my desire.

Looks like I'll be looking for sim only deal in June!

Do I still need to trick the desire to use the SD as internal storage ?

I've installed move2sd enabler and my internal space is currently 80mb. Will any
app I install now have the ability to move to the SD card ?

dgb doesnt have any a2sd so the only way to really benefit from this rom is to flash the 60/65 hboots and use the internal apps2sd (move 2 sd controls it)

if you want to have the affect of a2sd while using dgb you will need to partition the sdcard with a ext3 partition and then install an app called link2sd
that will give you loads of install space (it wont look different but will install to the ext partition)

hello i have a problem. i use windows 7 and it doesn't recognise the command [FONT=&quot]"fastboot flash recovery c:\" can u help me please?
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom