• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Having Difficulty Flashing Amon-RA

Borat38

Dec 31, 2010
Ok, so I've rooted w/ unrEVOked 3.31 and S-OFF'd w/ ALphaRev 1.8. My next step would be to flash Amon-RA (I don't want ClockworkMod).

I've been instructed to put the flash_image file into my SD card root directory, and then to chmod it. Problem is, I'm a total noob to Android/ Linux, and don't know how to chmod.

I tried to follow the instructions given, but when I type "adb shell", it comes out: "adb: permission denied".

So I type in "su," and I become Superuser (#), and proceed to type the command "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system [then hit enter]"

And then the instructions say "In a new terminal window (don't close the original one)":

adb push flash_image /system/bin [hit enter]
exit
[hit enter]

"And then in the original terminal window, type":

chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image [hit enter]

And then "exit all terminal windows and reboot your phone"

PROBLEM IS: How do I create a second terminal window (am using Terminal Emulator) w/out closing the first one? And how do I switch between windows?

Also, what might I be doing wrong that I keep getting denied?

Thanks for any help, guys =)

I've tried the seemingly easy PC36IMG.zip method of flashing Amon_RA, but despite ClockworkMod showing that the zip file is on my SD card, the bootloader won't automatically detect and unzip it. Am I doing something wrong there?

Also, what's the difference between Amon_RA 2.0 and Amon_RA Supersonic v.2.2.1?

Is the latter just a newer version?

Upvote 0
this worries me as the method im reading is from the early days and nothing to do with the new types of desire/root/s-off methods

make sure your amonRA is 2.0.0 or 2.0.1

its really very very simple and you have 2 ways of doing it

1. if you have sdk installed then put the recovery (2.0 or 2.1) into the tools folder of the android sdk, boot to fastboot and the type fastboot flash recovery amonrablahblahblah.img

2. use the android flasher utility
boot to fastboot and run this
[UTILITY] 1-click Android Flasher(Recovery, splash1, Radio, HBOOT)[V1.5.5](UPD!) - xda-developers

job done

Reactions: Borat38
Upvote 0
Whoooaa! Yesss! After much trial and failure (turns out I downloaded defective Android Flashers before; this new one worked its full charm in less than 3 minutes.)

Attachments

• Amon-RA snapshot.jpg
    Amon-RA snapshot.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones