• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much did you pay for your phone?

How much did you pay?

• $0-49

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • $50-99

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • $100-150

Votes: 30 23.1%
  • $151-200

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • $200-250

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • No Contract $350-500

Votes: 20 15.4%

• Total voters
$104 or something after tax and upgrade fee with at&t, did it over the phone

Ditto. I asked if I could upgrade 8 months early since I wanted a smartphone (was using a Razr 2). The first lady I talked to was really nice and offered the Captivate for $99 and no early upgrade fee. Didn't have the money so I called back the next day and literally had to fight tooth and nail and tell them I was going to jump ship to Verizon if they didn't honor their word since the people on the day shift were being complete asses. "We don't offer early upgrades here, sir. I don't know why she offered you that..." Heh.

Upvote 0
Is the Captivate due for a price drop from AT&T anytime soon?

If I buy it tomorrow and they drop the price $50 in two weeks, will I have any recourse to get a credit?

AT&T does not "price match" but if you call their retention department and speak to them nicely you might be able to get yourself a credit equal to approximately one month's bill or the price difference depending on who you talk to - they're not required to do it but sometimes they will. That's how they ended up paying me $375 but my situation was a little extreme with going through 5 phones to get a working one.

Upvote 0
How is $400 with no contract a value? AT&T doesn't give discounts for off-contract hardware (TMobile does).

The ETF is only $325, so it seems like someone made $75 here.

I got mine for free, yet i don't know if I'll keep it just because AT&T's call quality, 3G speed and customer support suck so bad. Combine this with a nonfunctional GPS and unknown FroYo update, and I might want to be paid to keep it.

pretty screen, tho.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones