• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to disable that damn system write protection

Masterchief87

Android Expert
System write protection can now be disabled indefinitely with a simple shell command. You can enter it with a PC and adb shell or a terminal emulator app on your phone. If you use terminal emulator you need to run it as root or else you will get permission denied. Ready for it? Here it is.
reboot disemmcwp
That's it. Once your phone reboots you will have system rw(the ability to mount the system partition as read/write) that wont go away after a reboot or even a factory reset! Its that easy. No more need for switcher zips, scripts, or apps to get system rw.

All credit goes to @hroark13 for finding this. Here is a link to his thread with more information including how to turn the system write protection back on if you should ever want to.
http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7317521

Last edited:
Before I post these zips publicly I need someone who can follow directions to test them for me one last time. I will explain how to do it without any risk to your device. You need to be on the stock Kitkat ROM with root and TWRP recovery installed.

If you are looking for a tester, I can help out. I have Kitkat stock rooted with TWRP. I need to be sure and keep root, though.

I'm using the pre-rooted stock plus wifi fix. I'm still good to use the new zips?
Yes that's what I went back to use and I have flash this file several times to help masterchief87 test them also I'll recomen you do a nandroid before installing the switcher zip. Onces the switcher is flash twrp will be install but you won't be able to create a back up or restore. In order to be able you have to zip the restore zip.

Please don't be offended and I'm not being critical but why have full root but not have twrp fully working at the same time. With script I have full r/w access and full working twrp, I'm just trying to understand the advantage of these new switcher zips...

Please don't be offended and I'm not being critical but why have full root but not have twrp fully working at the same time. With script I have full r/w access and full working twrp, I'm just trying to understand the advantage of these new switcher zips...
Think that with the scrip once we boot we loose rw and we have to do the scrip again and once we boot we have to install twrp to have it working and rw is along as we don't turn of the phone again

So in order to use twrp, you have to flash restore zip and you lose r/w?
Yes but after when your done you can just flash the switcher back and rw is back. But also the rw and the twrp are not able to be working at the same time because it has something to do with the bootloader that's how I see this problem

I don't know, I think I like having r/w and twrp working at the same time, which the script provides. That's just me though. What would happen if you ever tried to flash something without flashing restore zip first? Possible brick?

I don't know, I think I like having r/w and twrp working at the same time, which the script provides. That's just me though. What would happen if you ever tried to flash something without flashing restore zip first? Possible brick?

To get both r/w and twrp working the same time, find a way to unlock the bootloader. If u flash without restore u do brick, throughout the forums u can read where people did forget to restore and messed up their phone

Yes I think so

Correct what I do is leave a note on the home page reminding me that I have to restore twrp tobavoid that problem

Well in order to use the script and keep twrp you have to reinstall it as soon as you reboot after running the script. Also, you can only run the script every other boot cycle because if you run the script every time you reboot you risk getting caught in a bootloop with no recovery installed. With the zips, you can keep system rw indefinitely without having to run a script over and over. All you have to do is hold the volume up button when you reboot. And if you do happen to get caught in a bootloop you just flash the restore zip, reboot recovery, and restore a nandroid or whatever you have to do in order to fix the problem. Then once everything is fixed you can just flash the switcher again and have system rw again for as long as you need it.

To be honest, either way you risk a brick. Both the script and the zips have their pros and cons.

To get both r/w and twrp working the same time, find a way to unlock the bootloader. If u flash without restore u do brick, throughout the forums u can read where people did forget to restore and messed up their phone
Yeah unlocking bootloader is the ultimate goal here, it has proven to be elusive thus far...

I have read that bootloaders have been bypassed and even replaced with custom ones. It was done on the Galaxy S3. Could this possibly be done for our phone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom