• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to disable that damn system write protection

Any thoughts on cracking this one open? It's a tough one...

Unlocking a bootloader is possibly the toughest and most dangerous task that one can attempt. One tiny misstep and your phone is bricked and almost impossible to fix without the professional software and firmware that the manufacturers use to program the phone.

My zmax is bricked right now because I saw the OEM unlock option in the grand x max+ lollipop update and made a zip that flashes the bootloader update from the official ota thinking it might unlock the bootloader. One of the devs I talk to found someone who after being explained the risks said that they were willing to try it. I was told that after he flashed it, his zmax kept kicking him back into twrp. I figured that I should try it myself to see if I could figure out what was going on so I flashed it too. It turned out that the person who allegedly tested it first never really did because as soon as I tried to reboot, my phone would not boot and has been stuck in emergency download mode ever since and the only way to fix it is to use software made by Qualcomm that communicates directly with the CPU. The one person with the know how to unlock the bootloader, @jcase, has no interest in helping anyone with the zmax or grand x max+ because several people who owned the zmax when he was working on it were very disrespectful to him so much that he permanently stopped all development for the zmax. The odds of either of these devices ever getting the bootloader unlocked are slim to none.

Well if @jcase knows how to unlock this bootloader, which I doubt (no offense), why wouldn't he he help us. I'm just being realistic. Nobody knows how to unlock this bootloader. If they did it would be online somewhere just for bragging rights...

Well if @jcase knows how to unlock this bootloader, which I doubt (no offense), why wouldn't he he help us. I'm just being realistic. Nobody knows how to unlock this bootloader. If they did it would be online somewhere just for bragging rights...
And I don't think anyone here would disrespect him, I know I wouldn't
Actually @jcase is one of the best developers there is when it comes to rooting and unlocking devices that have locked bootloaders. He has successfully Rooted and unlocked many devices that had no known way to do it. One prime time example of this is the LG G3 for which he developed a root method and unlocked the bootloader. He really is a Genius when it comes to exploits and hacking. Most of us would not intentionally disrespect him or any other developer but there are people who will. I'm sure you've heard the saying "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch." This is a perfect example of that because if you sift through the general discussion threads for the zmax on xda you will find many disrespectful comments made about and to him which pissed him off to the point that he stopped developing for the zmax. Also, he has a reputation for being just as good at holding a grudge as he is at rooting and unlocking phones when nobody else can. There were several people who trash talked him and pissed him off to the point where he left. He probably would have calmed down and resumed working on the zmax eventually but then a lot of people felt entitled and decided that he had no right to stop development and that they should be allowed to tell him what to do. One dumbass even threatened to sue him in what was one of the all time dumbest posts I've ever seen. This just pushed him even further and made him more disgusted with the whole community as a whole. I wouldn't be surprised if he has already found a method to unlock the bootloader on the zmax and just never released it because of all the self entitled pricks that pushed him to his limit. We will all find out eventually because if he did unlock it he will probably release it about a year from now when the zmax has been discontinued and nobody cares about it anymore just so he can prove that he did it and so that the next community he gets involved in can see it as an example of what happens when you piss him off.

You're help MasterChief has been tremendous and I honestly respect your knowledge. Where did you learn android development if you don't mind me asking...
What I do know, which is not that much to be honest, I have learned just by reading guides and tutorials on forums, opening flashable zips and taking them apart to study the contents, just experimenting with things, and watching videos on YouTube. I also have a few developers that I consult with from time to time when I need some help with something.

I understand that he most likely is a genius. However, I'm sure there are more than one genius in this field. In my 52-year-old experience in life, there is always someone who knows more than I do. Nobody holds the monopoly on knowledge

I understand that he most likely is a genius. However, I'm sure there are more than one genius in this field. In my 52-year-old experience in life, there is always someone who knows more than I do. Nobody holds the monopoly on knowledge
Very true. I'm not saying he is the best there is or that he is the only person with the know how to get it done. I have no doubt that there are others who are equal to the task but there does not seem to be anyone with the know how who is interested in doing it and that is what really matters. We have to take what we can get and right now when it comes to system rw, the script and the zips are the best we can do with what we have.

Very true. I'm not saying he is the best there is or that he is the only person with the know how to get it done. I have no doubt that there are others who are equal to the task but there does not seem to be anyone with the know how who is interested in doing it and that is what really matters. We have to take what we can get and right now when it comes to system rw, the script and the zips are the best we can do with what we have.
I totally agree MasterChief

How long should it take to load? I waited over 10 minutes and it stayed on the android screen after I used the switcher.

It shouldn't take any longer than normal. If you want more help you need to explain in detail what you have done so far.
Rooted the phone then installed twrp, made a back up,when I flash the switcher and reboot if I hold volume and power to boot system it just hangs at the zte grand max plus screen. Then even if I flash the restore and reboot it hangs at the same point. I checked the md5 and they match. I had to flash the restore zip and then restore my back up to get the phone to boot fully.

Rooted the phone then installed twrp, made a back up,when I flash the switcher and reboot if I hold volume and power to boot system it just hangs at the zte grand max plus screen. Then even if I flash the restore and reboot it hangs at the same point. I checked the md5 and they match. I had to flash the restore zip and then restore my back up to get the phone to boot fully.
Read the first 3 posts and you will see why your phone would not boot.

I did. I flash the switch power off then hold power. It hangs at the zte grand max + screen. It says nothing in the first 3 posts why.
Your phone wouldn't boot because you were using the wrong ROM. They are for the rooted 5.1 update. This is why I said to read.

Attachments

• 1447857434047.jpg
    1447857434047.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 76
I did make them but nobody seemed interested so I deleted them without uploading them. You can make your own easily just extract the ones you have and replace the boot.img inside with the boot.img for the stock KitKat ROM then compress them again.
Will do. Thank you.

Will the switcher zips for the Z970 work on this phone.iam going to keep it 4.4.4 ?My 73 year old dad is almost deaf and I need to raise the volume levels on his phone and the file I need to edit is in the system folder and I have to avoid losing or changing and apps currently on his phone and also he barely has a grasp on kitkat lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom