• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to Turn Off Phonebook Sync w/ Blue Tooth?

I have finally gotten my BT connectivity issue resolved but have a new problem. I am using the Kenwood KCA-BT300 and as soon as it connects to the EVO, it starts to download the phone book. My phone book has about 900 contacts, so it's taking FOREVER. While it's downloading the book, I am not able to make calls from the stereo unless I start the call from the EVO. I would like to EVO to STOP sharing the phonebook via BT...is that possible and if so how? And out of curiosity, has anyone else had any issues like this and the Kenwood BT unit? Thanks!

there should be settings in your HU that you can adjust to prevent this from occurring.

also, have you contacted the manufacturer of your HU?

have you went to their site to see if any tips or troubleshooting information is posted?

have you smoked over some of the kenwood forums?

I have and pretty much to no avail. The HU has very few settings in regards to the BT so I am trying to see how to prevent the phone from sharing the phone book.

Upvote 0
i dont recall there is a setting in there to block this. perhaps unpair the device from your HU and then re-pair. see if you see some permission about the address book. there may be some low level setting on the EVO but i have not heard of this issue happening like you have. if no one has had this happen perhaps its something specific to your setup.

are you rooted? any software mods? any ROMs you are using?

Upvote 0
i dont recall there is a setting in there to block this. perhaps unpair the device from your HU and then re-pair. see if you see some permission about the address book. there may be some low level setting on the EVO but i have not heard of this issue happening like you have. if no one has had this happen perhaps its something specific to your setup.

are you rooted? any software mods? any ROMs you are using?

Hmm..guess I'll need to dig deeper. I have an unrooted running 2.2 and no mods to speak of. I will try the unpair deal again and see what I can get it to do. Seems like there would be a way to prevent the EVO from sharing the phonebook though. Thanks for the input though!

Upvote 0
I found an answer for a different Kenwood HU - maybe it will work for yours.

Set source to Standby
- Goto Menu > SPCL DVC Select
- Press and hold the right knob for 1 second to select SPCL DVC Select
- Navigate to option "Disable automatic sync"
- Press the right knob
- It will say "Completed"
- Turn radio off, wait for it to shutdown completely and phone to no longer act like it's connected via bluetooth
- Turn radio back on and voila, no more download!

Upvote 0
Aha!, I'm gonna try this on my Kenwood unit as well! Hopefully it will work cause it's driving me nuts since it also takes over the display while it's downloading and the downloading happens everytime it syncs, for up to 40 min!

Here's my original post with links to the manuals, the first "h" was removed and will have to be added in to get to the manuals.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones