• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How's the battery life?

It would be nice for people to point out their tips for getting maximum battery life. For instance there is a battery saving option in the menu, do people generally have this on?

I have put mine on to see but heptic feedback is still active even though it is suppose to turn it off.

Any other tips, clearing RAM etc turning off auto updates? I understand there might be a way of making sure the Note does not update apps over 3G for example, how is this done?

Are we all convinced the battery can simply be "topped up" when needed and it will not have a negative effect on its life?

What is the cost of an official replacement battery?

Upvote 0
It would be nice for people to point out their tips for getting maximum battery life. For instance there is a battery saving option in the menu, do people generally have this on?

I have put mine on to see but heptic feedback is still active even though it is suppose to turn it off.

Any other tips, clearing RAM etc turning off auto updates? I understand there might be a way of making sure the Note does not update apps over 3G for example, how is this done?

Are we all convinced the battery can simply be "topped up" when needed and it will not have a negative effect on its life?

What is the cost of an official replacement battery?

You can turn off auto updates in the Play Store app or any other app programs you use (e.g. Appbrain, Amazon, Getjar, etc...). You can also make sure that the apps only update over wi-fi. Quite honestly though, this is really insignificant as far as battery consumption is concerned, but probably helps a little. I usually set my apps for manual update because it's part of my habit every morning to check for updates, prior to starting the day.

Official battery on Samsung's website is $49.99 (US). Strangely enough, the battery charger kit w/ extra battery costs the same price. Go figure, as it's obviously a better value to get the whole kit.

Upvote 0
You can turn off auto updates in the Play Store app or any other app programs you use (e.g. Appbrain, Amazon, Getjar, etc...). You can also make sure that the apps only update over wi-fi. Quite honestly though, this is really insignificant as far as battery consumption is concerned, but probably helps a little. I usually set my apps for manual update because it's part of my habit every morning to check for updates, prior to starting the day.

Official battery on Samsung's website is $49.99 (US). Strangely enough, the battery charger kit w/ extra battery costs the same price. Go figure, as it's obviously a better value to get

Upvote 0
In my experience, 99% of 'poor battery' issues on Android devices are problems caused by installed apps.

Some just don't run to well e.g. I live in the UK and use the 'Arriva Bus' App to get bus tickets on my phone, however I've noticed higher than average battery use, plus the phone getting incredibly hot whilst charging, if I do not Force Close the app in settings after use.

The worst apps for affecting battery life are those that stop the device entering it's 'Deep Sleep' mode whilst idle. For anyone suffering from battery issues with this phone (You shouldn't be, it will last forever when working properly!) try the following;

Firstly, download a free app from the Play Store called CPU Spy.

Install it and then put your phone into standby for about 10 minutes.

Take your phone out of standby, open CPU Spy, scroll to the bottom... you're looking for the amount of time that your phone has been in "Deep Sleep". Since your phone has been 'off' for the last 10 minutes, for at least 7 minutes it should have been Deep Sleeping.

If at this point your Deep Sleep value is significantly lower than this, or worse, is listed in the 'Unused States' Section, you have an app that'ws preventing your phone from deep sleeping.

Whenever I have had battery issues with android in the past, the above steps have helped me to identify the problem. Finding the app responsible can, unfortunately, be much harder. Systematically force stopping running apps in groups of 5-10, the checking with CPU Spy worked for me, though if you have a lot of apps this can be a real pain.

Now, I keep CPU Spy on my phone and always check it after installing new apps.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Screen brightness at it's very minimum. I have my slider set to where it can't go down any lower.

Automatic syncing I do not do. I don't need to see email the sec it's sent.

Automatic play store updates also turned off. Sometimes current version works better than the update so I check comments/reviews first. Also app usage is minimal. I don't need every app someone recommends.

Power saving, while needed with previous phones, is not necessary for me now. WiFi/BT stays on 24/7.

Reactions: mumfoau
Upvote 0
Hello, just wanted to post my contribution to this thread. Below are the details.
-TMobile version of Note 2
-Brightness setting turned almost all the way down but I have bumped it up since this screen shot
-GPS, WIFI, Bluetooth turned off except when I need to use them
-Sync is always turned on. Mail is set to retrieve every hour.
-Ebay notifications enabled
-Play store auto downloads disabled
-Power saver mode enabled with only CPU and Haptic feedback boxes checked off

Finally, this was with moderate use including a couple minutes of youtube footage. This is from the time I took the phone off the charger then finally got back home and plugged it in.

Screenshot_2012-11-20-02-37-23.png

Upvote 0
I have noticed great battery life while using WiFi. Normal day up at 5am. wifi in the house for and hour while getting ready. Check a few things, leave house with 97%. Go to work. Phone gets zero service in my building. There for maybe an hour. 70% battery when I leave . get out on my route and by mid day down in the 60's percent wise. Half hour lunch, with sn2 on the entire time. Reading, gaming, fb'ing, you name it. 50% battery left. Where I get killed on battery is during my afternoon pickups. In and out of buildings for 3 hours. No use of the sn2. Im in the teens by 430pm. Ive noticed that the sn2 doesnt receive a cell signal way more than my old evo. My wife has the s3 and she's having same problem. She also had a evo that worked all day in her building. I wonder if its a samsung thing? Sprint thing? southern California? Global warming? Hahahahha

Upvote 0
I have noticed great battery life while using WiFi. Normal day up at 5am. wifi in the house for and hour while getting ready. Check a few things, leave house with 97%. Go to work. Phone gets zero service in my building. There for maybe an hour. 70% battery when I leave . get out on my route and by mid day down in the 60's percent wise. Half hour lunch, with sn2 on the entire time. Reading, gaming, fb'ing, you name it. 50% battery left. Where I get killed on battery is during my afternoon pickups. In and out of buildings for 3 hours. No use of the sn2. Im in the teens by 430pm. Ive noticed that the sn2 doesnt receive a cell signal way more than my old evo. My wife has the s3 and she's having same problem. She also had a evo that worked all day in her building. I wonder if its a samsung thing? Sprint thing? southern California? Global warming? Hahahahha

Hi,
I have and 3 others the siii (I'm awaiting the note 2 for verizon) and all 4 phones have poor reception in weak areas, being the size of the phone I don't understand why samsung would have not used a large antena inside to compensate and I thought the note 2 would get better but your findings will be the most likely for me also and that samsung reception just sucks in weak areas!!

I have been battling radios on my siii to find one that works best for me, I think I have one at the moment but it still sucks that these phone don't get better reception in weak areas!

On another note tho, my friends with iPhones don't get that much better either, nor did my 4 or 4s, but I did have less (lots less) dropped calls on the 4 and 4s than I do on my siii.

I hope my battery life is better than yours (when I get my note 2), but I think it will be about the same as I also work in areas with no signal and very poor reception.

I do get a lot more voice mails now with the siii but I actually think it is a help, instead of stopping what i'm doing to answer I now get to finish what or get to a breaking point to call them back. But on this note I do get better data than I get voice reception on my verizon siii, weird but true.

RI, MA cape area.

Upvote 0
Can you provide more specific details? Like overall usage, brightness level, data retrieval. Thanks, thats some awesome life. I only got 13hrs yestersay but that was really using my phone.

Can't wait to order one of those monster capacity batteries off ebay mainly for kicks.

Brightness is set on auto brightness but stays brighter than dim all day. I text a ton and receive MMS all through out the day. I am on LTE for most of the day with my over night being on wifi. A few apps running daily. Email checks every 30 minutes. all sounds on. screen is set to lock after 10 minutes. What else do you want to know?

Upvote 0
Every uploaded picture of battery usage I've noticed that the phone never stays asleep! Is anyone besides me curious why? The first Note 2 I had didn't do this, and slept the second I turned the screen off. If I turned it on ten seconds later, it would reconnect to Wi-Fi and start to wake up. The last two I've had never even disconnect from the Wi-Fi, let alone enter deep sleep. The phone should not be waking up ever ten minutes for any reason and should be asked until you turn it back on...

Upvote 0
Additionally, due to larger battery, you should be able to, with screen off, outlay an international S3 by 50% more time, since if off they should both use about the same battery life. Also Samsung claims 890 standby hours, I would agree with my original I could have gone a week without charging, but now even without using it I can't go more than 2 days... That's crazy... even my S2 did better than that...

Upvote 0
GSam Battery Monitor
CPU Spy

These are the 2 most suggested throughout various forums.

I like GSAM monitor too, almost as good as paid Better Battery Stats.

I recently found Battery HD app useful too. Unlike GSAM it doesn't analyze the battery usage history in detail. But it does simple battery monitoring and lets you know how long you can use each app (music, video, phone call, GPS nav, browsing, camera, etc).

So, after a week of having GSam Battery Monitor on my phone, I recently started to look more closely at my battery usage. Something seemingly was draining the battery faster than I was used to (timeframe of usage was still extremely good, but no longer great). So, I open up GSam Battery Monitor to see what was using up most of the battery resources. 73% of it was from apps, so when I go to look at which apps were using up battery the most...GSam Battery Monitor was close to the top of the list! I only had 2 listings in double digits percentage-wise. The only other listing, aside from GSam Battery Monitor, was Android System (which I can deal with because I'm just assuming that's the OS).

That said, GSam Battery Monitor was a great experiment and I liked what it offered as compared to the stock battery stats, but I'd prefer a battery monitor that isn't as much a resource hog...LOL. It monitored the battery usage great, but does no good if it's also taking up a good percentage of my battery life...hahaha. Gonna do some digging and see what I can find.

Upvote 0
Ever since downloading the app that keeps the screen off for each text message received, I have noticed that the screen usage has gone down significantly. I can't say that it has significantly improved battery life (battery life has just been beyond amazing for my needs), but it does seem slightly better overall.

What app keeps the texts from waking the screen?

Upvote 0
So, after a week of having GSam Battery Monitor on my phone, I recently started to look more closely at my battery usage. Something seemingly was draining the battery faster than I was used to (timeframe of usage was still extremely good, but no longer great). So, I open up GSam Battery Monitor to see what was using up most of the battery resources. 73% of it was from apps, so when I go to look at which apps were using up battery the most...GSam Battery Monitor was close to the top of the list! I only had 2 listings in double digits percentage-wise. The only other listing, aside from GSam Battery Monitor, was Android System (which I can deal with because I'm just assuming that's the OS).

That said, GSam Battery Monitor was a great experiment and I liked what it offered as compared to the stock battery stats, but I'd prefer a battery monitor that isn't as much a resource hog...LOL. It monitored the battery usage great, but does no good if it's also taking up a good percentage of my battery life...hahaha. Gonna do some digging and see what I can find.

batterystats plus is worth a try

Upvote 0
batterystats plus is worth a try

Do u know what the differences are between that and betterbatterystats? betterbatterystats was developed by an xda guy and I'm reading through that thread now

-EDIT- Not very many reviews on better battery plus, but I'm giving it a try to see how it does. Apparently, it'll take a couple days to compile information. If you get the paid version, it notifies you of apps that are draining the battery. I'm trying the free version first and I'll keep you all posted once I have more info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones