• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc going to help us fix our "unofficial" updated phones

OK, here's where I'm placing my bet. There will be 2 OTAs...one for the people currently on 2.1 and a second for those who are already on 2.2. They are currently working on the second one, so it will follow later. HTC did say that the unofficial 2.2 was definitely not the final. They will have to generate 2 different patches...one against 2.1 and one against the unofficial 2.2, thus, 2 different OTAs. I'll bet the final will have a different build number as well.

I'm making all of this up, but it makes sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to me. One OTA for everyone should do it, they may delay the update since they "discovered" some issues with the current build (by reading forums over the past few days). I don't see why a different 2.2 update would be needed for people already on 2.2, you'd be just flashing over the same files.

Upvote 0
OK, here's where I'm placing my bet. There will be 2 OTAs...one for the people currently on 2.1 and a second for those who are already on 2.2. They are currently working on the second one, so it will follow later. HTC did say that the unofficial 2.2 was definitely not the final. They will have to generate 2 different patches...one against 2.1 and one against the unofficial 2.2, thus, 2 different OTAs. I'll bet the final will have a different build number as well.

That is the way I understood it too.

Upvote 0
Let's not second guess their processes for development or distribution.

HOW they go about keeping us in sync with the mainline is unimportant.

That they WILL ensure that we're in sync with the mainline is EVERYTHING.

This is a highly professional move on their part, and just reinforces my faith in them.

(edit - there are many quite valid ways for them to accomplish this, and speculation is just that)

Upvote 0
Makes sense but they only have to make one build number for everyone. Remember ya'll aint suppose to have 2.,2 so everything will get erase files,apps,etc you know the deal about updating. I think everyone will get the same build number no matter what. They won't just release a patch and have a set of two problems with different builds and some have bugs on this build and some on another. They rather deal with one problem. Oh and there will be problems.

Depends on how their updates are structured. The goal is to bring 2 different system images to the same final build number. If they are using 'diff' based patches then they'll need 2 different patches because they have 2 different systems images to bring up to the final image. If the update process is just dumping files that changed into the file system and removing others that aren't needed, then they could do it with one big patch that covers both situations. But in that case, I would think they'll be delaying the OTA for everybody to get the changes in and test them. That sorta doesn't sound like what they are doing.

Upvote 0

I don't think they would do that. The average user will screw that up and use the wrong file. Remember, the general public is pretty stupid. I guess it's possible though, since the update checks the installed version versus the available OTA version.

Upvote 0
Let's not second guess their processes for development or distribution.

HOW they go about keeping us in sync with the mainline is unimportant.

That they WILL ensure that we're in sync with the mainline is EVERYTHING.

This is a highly professional move on their part, and just reinforces my faith in them.

Awwww, that's the fun part...guessing how they are going to do it :D

I definitely agree, they are doing good by us. I'm pretty happy about it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Upcoming days?

Does this mean we will not get official update tomorrow? (for the people who upgraded unofficial one?)

What the heck?

The official update is not a instant - it's a phased rollout planned over a few days. They said so last week.

We got the lion's share early. If we get sync'd up early or later in the rollout that just isn't that big a deal in the long view of us enjoying 2.2 for days.

It was an at-risk update, you'll recall my own posts to you and others on Friday regarding the installation itself said so.

We took the risk, if the only price we pay is to wait until the end of the rollout (assuming that we'll even have to wait on that, that's also speculation) then they're removing our risk no charge.

A few days here or there is a miniscule price for the risk we took.

In my opinion.

Upvote 0
But we have everything the update says we are supposed to have, and I can't speak for anyone else but I have zero problems with what I have now.

Before the liberals throw a party, let's be sure that there is something noticeably different in the "official" build which according to everything we have so far is exactly the same build number as ours.

Not only that but we've seen plenty of propaganda coming out here with this "leaked" and "unofficial" update that we somehow knew was coming beforehand. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just more covering of butts or trying to trick us into getting something MORE restrictive than what we have.

I'll be glad to wait. I have everything Froyo is supposed to offer (except a 3d gallery and wireless tether which we all knew was going to be shot). When someone shows me H.264 and 720p together, 3d gallery, no FPS cap with a quicker, faster, more battery saving EVO then I'll jump ship.

My 4 days with Froyo has been well worth the risk.

Upvote 0
The official update is not a instant - it's a phased rollout planned over a few days. They said so last week.

We got the lion's share early. If we get sync'd up early or later in the rollout that just isn't that big a deal in the long view of us enjoying 2.2 for days.

It was an at-risk update, you'll recall my own posts to you and others on Friday regarding the installation itself said so.

We took the risk, if the only price we pay is to wait until the end of the rollout (assuming that we'll even have to wait on that, that's also speculation) then they're removing our risk no charge.

A few days here or there is a miniscule price for the risk we took.

In my opinion.

we got to play with 2.2 earlier then we weren't suppose to....... now if this is really not the final as it seems and we gotta wait a few extra days oh well i can live with that..... the price of admission so to speak

Upvote 0
But we have everything the update says we are supposed to have, and I can't speak for anyone else but I have zero problems with what I have now.

Exactly. And with H.264 for SD video recording, we actually have more than what they promised so far.

All we need to care about really is the ability to receive future updates with defect fixes and enhancements, whether they come with the official update or months from now is not material.

Just so long as we're not boxed in, then we're still in Android Land.

It's my happy place.

My 4 days with Froyo has been well worth the risk.

^THIS!

Upvote 0
I'll admit that I'd be as happy as anyone else if what we have is a test pilot and they went and refined the software to the extreme and added a bunch of features on top of that, but according to the press releases, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Early testing = good for all
More features = good for all

This is a win win, don't know what there really is to argue about except for people trying to tell everyone else what to do with their own stuff. We have a solid and IMO sufficient update already on the table. More would just be icing on the cake.

I do think we have more updates coming in the future also though.

Can we start a new thread for the official update problems/install/impressions????

Upvote 0
Hey All

Just got off the phone with Sprint Tech Support and the fella that helped me said that he had just received a memo after returning from lunch "that the update had been delayed indefinately".

Thought I'd share.

The guy was really good with the tech support he offered and efficiently resolved my issue, so I would think he is pretty credible....who know.

From another thread...

Upvote 0
Did htc tell you it was there? Did they tell you to download it? Did they ever call it final, finished, complete, or official?

Or did some blogger who got wind of it post it, followed by a bunch of other blogs repeating it and making the asssumption that it was official just because it was on an htc web site?

If htc had put the link on their home page, or on the main Evo page, and said 'Here it is!" then you might be right. But they didn't, and you aren't.

THANK YOUUUU. Finally someone who agrees with me. I've been saying this for the past few days randomly, and kept getting bashed for it.

Upvote 0
For those of us that did what HTC told us to do and didnt use the ghetto zip to update we get rewarded with a pushed back update.

Looks like this is one time where listening and following instructions didnt matter.

Might as well just flash the "ghetto zip" then, right? You're making a big assumption that they're going to push it back (not that I'm blaming you because I don't think it would shock anyone). If they do push it back, I'm just going to flash the intentionally leaked version.

Upvote 0
Might as well just flash the "ghetto zip" then, right? You're making a big assumption that they're going to push it back (not that I'm blaming you because I don't think it would shock anyone). If they do push it back, I'm just going to flash the intentionally leaked version.

Sorry but i can wait. Im not going to flash a rom that has more problems then Mel Gibson. I came from rooted to stock because i couldnt stand flashing a rom and spending weeks trying to get everything to work and still not having things work.

Ill stick with a good running 2.1 over a busted up 2.2 anyday.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones