• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

htc going to help us fix our "unofficial" updated phones

I just updated my fiance's via the OTA update. It is indeed .6.

Aside from the version number, I can see no difference between my two phones. I'm going to put 'em though their paces and see if I can find anything different between them.

Cool, that's what I'm curious about. Let us know. The file sizes between the 2 versions of the updates were very close.

Upvote 0
Yeah i am for real. I have read well over 300+ posts over the weekend about problems people are having. Non working camera, no flash and on and on. The front page was full of stickys and threads all weekend about 2.2 bugs.

So are you serious?

You keep on amusing me. After saying how you were not going to a "busted up 2.2" you are in another thread talking about how you installed it already and everything is working fine for you....

Upvote 0
Well Gents,

I was one of the early adopters of the leaked version. And sadly, it has been causing my phone to act sluggish. What I mean... when I press the previous screen arrow (bottom of the phone) sometimes I get a sec or two lag before it responds. Also noticed during a phone call that when I pressed the end call button, it would not respond until I pressed it several times. Basically, a lot of menu lag and slow response from pressing the keys on the phone. It was my call to download it though... The new capabilities are awesome... just the small bugs in screen response are making it a bummer. Never saw this behavior in 2.1. Hope it doesn't raise it's head in the official OTA release.

Upvote 0
Edit: Seems that a reboot fixed the issues. Not sure how stable the leaked OS is in the long term...hmmh...

FWIW - a lot of us recommended the factory reset as the sure cure to many evils.

A pain in the neck, but it worked with benefits.

I'd strongly advise it if you're getting flaky results.

Follow that with the Network app cdma->gsm; back out; re-enter gsm-> CDMA auto (PRL), exit; System updates->update PRL.

Upvote 0
Well Gents,

I was one of the early adopters of the leaked version. And sadly, it has been causing my phone to act sluggish. What I mean... when I press the previous screen arrow (bottom of the phone) sometimes I get a sec or two lag before it responds. Also noticed during a phone call that when I pressed the end call button, it would not respond until I pressed it several times. Basically, a lot of menu lag and slow response from pressing the keys on the phone. It was my call to download it though... The new capabilities are awesome... just the small bugs in screen response are making it a bummer. Never saw this behavior in 2.1. Hope it doesn't raise it's head in the official OTA release.

this post struck me. i had behavior issues like that *on occasion* with 2.1

i wonder what the real culprit is. probably not the OS... at least maybe not.

possibly an app or widget? i'm seeing evidence of other improvements (prior to non official update) while trying to solve battery issues, i was removing 1 app at a time to find what might be draining my battery needlessly fast.

and discovered improved menu and home screen performance as a result as well.
...do you have many installed apps? i did. now i have fewer, and with 2.2 moved a dozen out of memory.

let me know if you try anything as a result of my suggestion that would either debunk or validate the hypothesis .

hmm...

Upvote 0
Sprint/HTC: Don't worry, if you've rooted your phone to install the 'unofficial' update we'll put out an OTA update that will break your root and install the 'official' update. This is so we can go back to charging you for wifi tethering and other nonsense.

****Sprint is still 100 billion times better than other carriers that don't offer unlimited data/text****

:thinking:

You didn't have to root to install .3 - You just install the image from HTC's website.

My problem with HTC is them calling it unofficial. Call it non-final or whatever, but it is an official build from HTC.

Just release the complete .6 ROM for us to install and everyone is happy. I honestly don't care if I have to wipe or not, it takes like 10 minutes to reinstall apps.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm fine with what I got, I'd rather keep the .3 than have to update to a .6 and not really change anything. That's a bigger risk than the "unofficial" build IMO. I guess maybe in the long run, if we get 3.0 for the EVO it may require that I have the .6 build but other than that I'm good.

If I can get an unrevoked with FPS, Wifi tethering and some more camer goodies, I'm golden.

Upvote 0
I'd like to know why people are even waiting for this after all reports from people downloading the "official" one yesterday.

What exactly is the difference?

Does .6 have something .3 does NOT have?

I'm not in a rush.

As of now, the only logical explanation is that this official update for future reference, you will be able to receive OTA from HTC.

Upvote 0
I'd like to know why people are even waiting for this after all reports from people downloading the "official" one yesterday.

What exactly is the difference?

Does .6 have something .3 does NOT have?

I'm not in a rush.

As of now, the only logical explanation is that this official update is that for future reference, you're all set to receive OTA from HTC.

oh i'm not in a rush i'm just interested to see what they say
i can't even tell why they changed the build number at all

Upvote 0
my phone is .3, my wife's is .6 (she don't care about this stuff), and i'm unable to find a single difference.

Exactly. Based on what I'm seeing here, there are zero user detectable differences between .3 and .6. In fact, people are getting the same common upgrade glitches that we had with .3. The only thing we early adopters are going to get from the upcoming .3 to .6 upgrade OTA is the corrected build number so we can upgrade going forward. That's it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones