• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC M8 accessories (discussion, reviews) -Read first post for review links!

I wonder if by design,or,a serious oversight.
POETIC had a case that covered the I/R BLASTER on the M7 & recalled it.....

I have the ultra clear spigen case and the IR blaster works fine for me, not sure if the coloured cases block the signal though.
I have had the case for a few weeks now and am still really impressed with it and their screen protector.

Is it still called an IR blaster? The IR for the M8 spans the entire top portion of the phone like a remote control. However, the IR for the M7 is only located in the power button.

Yes, the IR blaster is only under the power button. The rest of the black moulding is for aesthetic purposes.

The same goes with a remote control. The dark plastic is there to hide the IR LED; the transmitter doesn't take up the entire to of the remote. To see this in action turn on your camera and point the lens at that clear plastic on a normal remote and then hold down a button. You will see the IR LED flashing behind the lens :)

Is it still called an IR blaster? The IR for the M8 spans the entire top portion of the phone like a remote control. However, the IR for the M7 is only located in the power button.

I heard that it's still under the power button..

I've heard both,but,I can offer this:

I have this case:

Amazon.com: SUPCASE All New HTC One M8 Case - Premium Hybrid Protective Bumper Case (Black/Clear) for HTC One 2014 Release: Cell Phones & Accessories

The power button is unobstructed,while the rest of the top area is covered (by black TPU) & the I/R BLASTER works fine.

Not enough to determine one way or the other whether if the button is covered that functionality will be affected.

Perhaps someone w/a covered power button (in a non-transparent material) can test this.

My source was YouTube from a tech geek with first hands on. Would make sense for HTC to not change the design from the M7. However, why insert a plastic piece across the top like a remote control if the IR is only located in the power button?

My source was YouTube from a tech geek with first hands on. Would make sense for HTC to not change the design from the M7. However, why insert a plastic piece across the top like a remote control if the IR is only located in the power button?

That was my thinking as well.

I'll cover the button on mine when I get home later today & see what happens...............

It appears that I/R is through the power button & not the adjacent black material on the upper edge of the phone.

Just some simple covering/uncovering of each proved this out.

Looked around for drawings/schematics/etc..... & found nada.....,perhaps if someone were that interested & knowledgeable regarding the components of a phone,a visit to iFIXIT has a teardown w/video & pics.

HTC One (M8) Teardown - iFixit

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxpZmBOLeoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrYw124EDwo

Just an observation: Shine a flashlight on the "black" piece that surrounds the power button. You'll notice that it is in fact a very similar dark reddish material that the power button is made from. "IR plastic". The power key is just more clear and has a glossy finish.
Doesn't teach us anything or reveal any answer, but interesting...

Bought the case mate naked tough and it is sexy.

Feel basicaly as protected as with commuter (minus flap over usb) but without hiding the beauty of this gorgeous phone

Thinking about ordering this case today.How is the grip using this case?Is it a slick hard plastic or does it have a grip to it?
I like the official HTC hard shell snap on case but It don't look like it has much protection for the front of the device plus it don't look exactly "clear".

I just got an Incipio dual layer shine. It has a brushed aluminum texture on the back that looks just like the finish on the phone.

Both of these arrived today:

Amazon.com: SUPCASE All New HTC One M8 Case - Unicorn Beetle Premium Hybrid Protective Case for HTC One 2014 (Frost Clear/Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

I'll start w/the SUPCASE previously listed/mentioned by SolApathy:

The fit & finish (Matte Black) couldn't be better.This case fits/feels like it would actually offer some decent protection against the occasional mild/moderate drop/bumping around/etc......

Although the aesthetics are equally nice,the feel-in-hand isn't what I was hoping for.
Admittedly,the pics clearly show the angles around the edges of the case,but,I imagined the feel-in-hand would be better,since the M8 is a rather slim phone.
This is purely subjective, & in no way detracts from the quality of the case.I've grown accustomed to the rounded edges/contours from the G2/G-FLEX/M8 & it's hard to go gack to the typical boxy edges & contours.

And,a case from HTC:

Amazon.com: Genuine Official HC C942 Translucent Hard Shell Case for HTC One M8: Electronics

To say protection is minimal would be an understatement.
No surprises,just making it clear that this is not for those who need anything remotely close to OTTERBOX protection.

The main goal,I believe,with this case is to merely protect the backside against scuffing/etc...

Edge protection is non-existent for the face,so much that I wouldn't place the phone face-down on any surface & minimal for the top & bottom.

The fit is minimal to the point that I had to remove a body skin to assure an even fit around all edges.

If you keep this phone in a pocket pouch (as I do),or in a purse/etc....,this may be the minimalist look you're after.Otherwise,you might wanna check else where for better protection.

Back
Top Bottom