• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ONE battery discussion (usage, charging, etc.)

leavy,

your situation is unique.

lets get on the same page:

1. are you rooted?
2. what carrier?
3. how long have you had the phone?
4. have you tried different usb cables? different usb port? different computer? wall charging?
5. do you have fast boot ticked or unticked?
6. did you do a soft reset? also did you hold down the power and volume up buttons to soft boot the device?
7. did you wiggle the cable in the phones port? could be a loose phone port

Reactions: leavy23
Upvote 0
1. Not rooted
2. At&T
3. Have had the phone for 7 months
4. I've tried many different cables, wall plugs, and usb ports. All will allow the phone to charge when off, but no charging when power is on, and no usb connection
5. Have tried toggling fast boot on and off (does not change the issue).
6. Have tried soft resets and soft boots to no avail
7. Have tried wiggling cables (and 3 or 4 different cables). Nothing has helped.

I've been on these forums a lot, and have tried all these fixes. Figured I'd see if anyone shared my specific problems. Kind of stinks that it's a unique problem.

One thing that did happen though, was when I first tried to update to 4.3, it didn't really work, then the charging issue popped up. I was able to successfully update to 4.3 on the 2nd try, but the charging issue remained.

Upvote 0
I thought I would post my results on battery performance after using the Battery Monitor app for over six months. My gut feeling is the HTC One is about on par with my old iPhone 4S in battery performance. Not quite lasting a day under my normal usage - and running out much sooner under heavy use or in poor coverage areas. The stats below indicate that there is a lot of variability depending on how much you use your phone, and what you actually do with it:

Standby: 47 days
3D Gaming: 3.5 hours
2D Gaming: 6.5 hours
Online Video: 4 hours
Online Audio: 7 hours
Local Video: 5 hours
Local Audio: 10.5 hours
Internet via WiFi: 6.5 hours
Internet via Mobile: 6 hours
Talk: 11.5 hours

Upvote 0
I got a brand new htc one for christmas and i love everything about the phone except the battery.I can charge it all night then unlpug it in the middle of the night when its fully charged and go back to sleep and wake up to a battery on about 93-95%.I started using it at about 4pm today and by about 8ish it was on about 20%.I usually keep my brightness turned all the way down,all apps closed,bt off but i leave wifi on when im home.I can hardly use my phone if im out because if i need it later itll most likely be dead.I usually just get on facebook or instagram,maybe some music but not much.I did update it a few days ago to 4.3,idk if that has anything to do with it or not.Anybody have the same problem? And how do i fix it? I really like the phone and dont want to have to get a new one.

Upvote 0
This doesn't sound normal to me. So the key is to identify what is using the power.

I suggest installing a battery monitor - GSM Battery Monitor is free and pretty good - so that you can see what's causing the drain. Let it run through a full cycle, then have a look at the statistics and let us know what you find.

Google services have been causing battery problems for a number of people lately (not a phone problem but a Google bug). If you've been caught by this then it's usually the location service that's playing up - turning off location options might help if this is the cause. But let's see what's using the power first.

If we can't trace anything obvious, a factory reset might be worth a go, especially if there's just been an update.

Upvote 0
Hi

I am unable to charge my HTC One via either Wall/USB today. Yesterday it was charging fine and without any issues before but today it does not charge.

I unplugged my phone at about 10am this morning, it was charging overnight and for the duration of the morning (with wall charger) when I was at home just fine. I charged my HTC One in the car, (I can't tell whether it is working or not as I was focusing on the road)

I somehow noticed a message saying "MTP Mode enabled" right in the car, but I did not think much of it. Now, I am unable to charge both with Wall/USB.

I googled forum, people have been suggesting turn usb debugging mode on, but my usb debugging mode is ON in developer options. Any other reasons and how can I fix this?

Thanks,

Upvote 0
hello, everyone
I used my HTC One for 8 and half hours, and I still have 50% left. I checked my phone once or twice in an hour, and played with it for 5-10 each time. Does my battery looks fine?
Thank you!!!

2014_01_19_05_17_28.png

Upvote 0
From full charge to 30% in 14 hours depending on use is "normal". Normal is relative, depending on phone model and battery size, so if you could give us the details, we can give you a better evaluation.

I see you've got WiFi on all the time. You might want to think about turning that off except when you are using it to see if that makes a difference in your power usage.

Upvote 0
hello, everyone
I used my HTC One for 8 and half hours, and I still have 50% left. I checked my phone once or twice in an hour, and played with it for 5-10 each time. Does my battery looks fine?
Thank you!!!
The answer depends on many variables. For my usage, 40-90 minutes screen on time (5-10 minutes/hour), 8.5 hours standby and 50% battery left would be worse than I expect. But this depends on many variables, e.g.

* Is this your first charge cycle? Rechargeable batteries improve their performance over the first few charges, so you expect the first time through to be worse than normal.

* What's your signal like? Weak signal, searching for signal, swapping between bands (e.g. 2G/3G) all result in rapid battery drain. Similarly, WiFi uses less power than cellular data, but if you leave it constantly on and scanning for hotspots that will use power too.

* What are you doing when you have the phone on? Games will use a lot of power, ebook reading very little, other activities inbetween.

* How's your screen brightness? The screen is a big battery user, so if you have brightness set to full all of the time you will use a lot more power than if you use automatic or adjust it manually.

* What are you doing when you have the screen off? If you have it constantly polling for updates to location, weather, social networks etc it will run the battery down faster than if you have these things off or set to update less frequently.

* What else are you running? Task Killers or "Memory Optimisers" (another name for the same thing) will run your battery down faster (which is the opposite of what they claim).

I usually reckon to get about 4.5-5 hours screen-on if that usage is mainly browsing. eBook reading could give double that (seriously), and gaming would give less. And if I just left it in my pocket most of the time I'd get several days standby. However, I'm usually in a strong signal area, I don't have automatic weather updates etc, have no social media apps running, disable location reporting and turn mobile data on when I want to use it rather than leaving on full-time (though often leave WiFi on when in the office or at home), and keep the brightness at "comfortable" rather than "full". I don't use the power saver mode though. So if your usage is different from mine, I'd expect your battery life to be different too.

It depends a lot on usage. The phone looks like it's spending more time screen on than you reported in your first post, and as Luna says, WiFi on full time may not be optimal. I gave a longer reply in the other thread recently.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones