• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS is here!!!!

So I got ICS a few days ago like everyone else and have to say its super. Noticeably faster and smoother all round.

BUT.

I found some apps were freezing and then I would get the "Wait or FC" option pop up. For e.g. swiping to another week in the stock calendar app would freeze. Also stock gallery app was taking ages to load (even after allowing it hours to download my pics from picasa).

So when it worked, it was lovely, but when it didnt it was a pain in the wotsit.

My solution? Hard reset. This works as it gives you a fresh ICS slate to work from and its just amazing how zippy it is. I backed up all the apps I wanted to (and here is the most important bit) I only reinstalled those I really wanted/used before I upgraded.

So my advice? Factory reset and use the clean slate as just that - an opportunity to start with a clean slate!!

end of 2 cents worth!

I am having that Google + FC issue too... I will try clearing the cache and data to see if it helps.

All in all, my impressions:

Pros

-the new file manager... the split screen is very helpful when organizing a lot of files :)
-starts up a bit faster
-Chrome browser!!

Cons

-where the hell did airplane mode go on the notification popup?? I actually used it a lot, and it's gone :(
-you can't ex out of individual notifications on the notification popup anymore
-youtube downloader app simply will not work *boos*
-from the app menu, you can't uninstall an app. You have to drag it to the home screen to do it (??)

It's sad that I don't have very many Pros here... I was expecting to be blown away... I am kinda disappointed, really.

My solution? Hard reset. This works as it gives you a fresh ICS slate to work from and its just amazing how zippy it is. I backed up all the apps I wanted to (and here is the most important bit) I only reinstalled those I really wanted/used before I upgraded.

So my advice? Factory reset and use the clean slate as just that - an opportunity to start with a clean slate!!

Ugh... that seems like a lot of work to get it to run smoothly. Should have been that way out the freezer :P

Just saying.

So I got ICS a few days ago like everyone else and have to say its super. Noticeably faster and smoother all round.

BUT.

I found some apps were freezing and then I would get the "Wait or FC" option pop up. For e.g. swiping to another week in the stock calendar app would freeze. Also stock gallery app was taking ages to load (even after allowing it hours to download my pics from picasa).

So when it worked, it was lovely, but when it didnt it was a pain in the wotsit.

end of 2 cents worth!

I did a factory reset yesterday. I used the tab all day today and had 1 shutdown.

I have it sitting on my desk next to me as I type this on my laptop and have had no less than 4 random reboots that I have noticed out of the corner of my eye.

This reboot thing is crazy. Just took it out from it's case and noticed it was super hot, i opened it up to find it was frozen in the reboot mode. This can't be good for our tablets :(

Yeah, it's getting kind of annoying. I was in the middle of a gtalk convo with the Mrs, locked the screen, put the tablet down and it rebooted.

I'm not sure if the bootloop is the sole cause for battery drain either. I turned it on this morning, had about 34% left in the dock, had breakfast, didn't look at the tab for an hour and it was down to 3%.

Asus are pretty forthcoming with updates to the Prime so hopefully a fix will be on the way shortly.

-you can't ex out of individual notifications on the notification popup anymore
If I'm understanding this correctly, try swiping to the right on a notification, it will be removed from the list. (swiping to the left might work to, I just never tried it :) )

-from the app menu, you can't uninstall an app. You have to drag it to the home screen to do it (??)
I just tried settings > apps > (select app) > uninstall, it worked for me.
Edit: You probably already know this, but this will work only for apps that you installed. Apps that came preinstalled can't be deleted without rooting the device.

Ugh... that seems like a lot of work to get it to run smoothly. Should have been that way out the freezer :P

Just saying.

It is a bit :) Mind you, its not dis-similar to upgrading your windoze box - you can get upgrade versions of a new OS as opposed to a fresh install, but there is nothing like wiping it clean and starting again!

I think part of the problem isn't with ICS but with some apps (can we call them "legacy apps" yet?).

Luckily I have not had random reboot, mega battery drains, not-charging-at-all issues etc.

Plunge taken ............... I'm going in........................ Watch this space :)

On balance, I'm glad I did but it hasn't been all plain sailing so far

PLUS
Certainly more responsive and 'swipes' are much slicker. Browsing also seems quicker but could possibly be imagining that.

MINUS
Had two occasions so far where the TF rebooted of its own accord but froze when doing so. Long press of power button needed. I'm sure that'll be resolved soon enough but disappointing debut in my opinion.

ICS+ browser crashed twice

I've not seen anything about controllers, but I've seen where external drives were not recognized. Not sure if that's two symptoms of the same problem or not.

Help needed!!!

Guys I have not received any message yet to update from hc to ICS. I have checked by going into settings -> about tablet - > System Firmware Udate -> Check Update and it says no update found.

I am in UK London. Is there anyone else facing the same problem? Is there any alternate way to update to ICS?

I have also downloaded the firmware from asus website and unzipped it to Micro SD card but not able to instaall from there also. File dwnloaed is WW_epaduser_9_2_1_11_updatelauncher.zip.

I have unzipped the above file directly into a microsd card and there I can see blob file and meta-inf folder. But nothing happens when I insert the microsd card. Am i missng something?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Just put my pad on and no ICS for me either. Last time round I also had an issue and had to manually update and I had problems. I think it was simply that I hadn't formatted the sd card on my pad before downloading and attempting the upgrade.

I'll give it a go tom and provide an update.

DON'T OPEN the folder that is unzipped, it gets corrupted. Unzip, then put it into the tablet. The tablet will find it automatically.

Back
Top Bottom