• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Idiots rooting help request

hey guys i know my question is abit of a back track but are there bennifits to one click rooting as apposed to do it yourself style? i have had amazing luck with Z4 root with one click lag fix? thoughts comments?

Well 1 click is easy but you chance your phone with it and you learn nothing..as for the one click lag fix its useless

Upvote 0
hey guys i know my question is abit of a back track but are there bennifits to one click rooting as apposed to do it yourself style? i have had amazing luck with Z4 root with one click lag fix? thoughts comments?

1 click lagfix=fail

dont waste your time honestly...its placebo effect mostly

and root is root regardless of how you do it...just several of us (mainly me) are against not doing things on the computer and doing it the "right" way

Upvote 0
buddy you need to integrate these two pictures into a new avatar
Z4Root_thumb.jpg
72638461468245495.png

Upvote 0
1 click lagfix=fail

Agree ! found out the hard way.

Also wish I knew that cwm could be installed through stock recovery. Now I know what Thomas Edison meant when he said that each mistake I make gets me one step closer !

Didn't want to get addicted to this again but I am afraid its too late......

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying with installing cwr in stock recovery.......if you mean you can boot to stock recovery and then apply the update.zip cwr file once you have pushed cwr with Odin.....then yes

But cwr has to be installed with Odin first

Forgive me if I misunderstood what you were saying

Upvote 0
You flash a kernel just like you flash a rom yes. It won't wipe ur data.

My advice is to stay away from voodoo kernels though until you are more familiar with what they are and do

What is a kernel vs a rom?

I understand a rom as a total reload of the phone, you give up everything you had and start over with the new rom and load your individual software back in and restore contacts and such to bring the new rom back to a useful state. The rom install is essentially like a format and reload of windows on your computer. You begin over at bare naked, day one, clean slate.

Kernal - I guess I really don't know what this is, maybe it is a subsection within the rom that controls only certain parts of the system? I don't know, I give up.....

Upvote 0

I understand a rom as a total reload of the phone, you give up everything you had and start over with the new rom and load your individual software back in and restore contacts and such to bring the new rom back to a useful state. The rom install is essentially like a format and reload of windows on your computer. You begin over at bare naked, day one, clean slate.

Kernal - I guess I really don't know what this is, maybe it is a subsection within the rom that controls only certain parts of the system? I don't know, I give up.....

basically i tend to think (wrongly or not) as the rom as the body or framework and the kernel as the engine

Upvote 0

basically i tend to think (wrongly or not) as the rom as the body or framework and the kernel as the engine

Yeah Larry by way of analogy I think you got the general concept and nitsuj17's analogy is a good one, it fits.

This makes less sense but sounds cool, ROM is the show, kernel is the go :p

Upvote 0
What does the term deodexed mean, it gets used often to describe various ROMs but I've not yet figured out why it was supposed to be telling me?

it means that the odex files in your system have been replaced with deodexed versions that are conducive to theming....basically its only neccessary for custom themes.

if you run one of jts roms it automatically does it for you...as manually doing it isnt particularly easy

Upvote 0
Is it considered an acceptable method to use ROM manager to locate, download, and install upgraded ROMs? I see that there are JT roms with voodoo and also with no voodoo, there is the super clean rom, and a few more roms to pick from. Is this considered a bad thing to do, or is it how you all are doing this.

theres nothing wrong with using rom manager at all :) just remember when downloading roms to be on wifi as 150 mb or so takes a long time on 3g :eek:

i would avoid voodoo in rom manager though as its old voodoo not new

Upvote 0
Nitsuj17,

Prior to getting funky with my phone I used Titanium Backup in the BATCH menu to backup "All User Apps + System Data". I also used ROM MANAGER to do a complete current ROM backup. So I knew that I had an escape route should this not go as planned.

Onto the questions....

Last night I used Rom Manager and downloaded the Geeknik "StupidFast Kernal V1.54" and installed it.

After installation, the phone came back up as if a new phone with the new user setup and all. I went through that and then openned the application drawer and noticed that all applications I once had were gone. So I went into Titanium Backup (had to re-download from Market) and I did a restore by hitting MENU, BATCH, and in the batch listing I used the second blue button titled "Restore Missing Apps + all system data".

After reboot I had my contacts and call history, but no applications.

This is not what I thought would happen with the Kernal update, I was expecting the "engine" to change under the hood, but the car to remain unchanged.... So this kernal seened to be more of a complete ROM replacement.

Also, I expected that after downloading TiBu and using the batch menu to restore all apps and data that the phone would be fully loaded again. This seems to have only placed the call/contacts/test data back, it did nothing for all the missing applications.

What am I doing wrong?
Did I get the expected results, or is something not going according to plan?
Please advise!

Larry

Upvote 0
Stupid question I know. I've never done anything like root a phone bf. I'm reasonably competent with tech stuff, but not to your guys' level. I'm not clear on the beginning of the process. What parts get installed on to the Pc and what parts go on to the phone? Do the Samsung drivers get downloaded and installed on the PC first? Then all the other stuff on the fascinate?

Thanks for the help and I really like your thread. I previously tried the tmobile version the Galaxy s and loved it. But couldn't get a 3g signal at work which is a must for me. But this fascinate keeps freezing for a bit. Sometimes while I'm trying to answer the phone. Really disappointed. Bing coming up from the search button and on the car dock program is sad also. I wanted to get the car dock for the phone.

I'm either going to return the phone or try rooting and installing a different rom.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Stupid question I know. I've never done anything like root a phone bf. I'm reasonably competent with tech stuff, but not to your guys' level. I'm not clear on the beginning of the process. What parts get installed on to the Pc and what parts go on to the phone? Do the Samsung drivers get downloaded and installed on the PC first? Then all the other stuff on the fascinate?

Thanks for the help and I really like your thread. I previously tried the tmobile version the Galaxy s and loved it. But couldn't get a 3g signal at work which is a must for me. But this fascinate keeps freezing for a bit. Sometimes while I'm trying to answer the phone. Really disappointed. Bing coming up from the search button and on the car dock program is sad also. I wanted to get the car dock for the phone.

I'm either going to return the phone or try rooting and installing a different rom.

Thanks again

try this for root help ----> How to Root - Android Forums

Rooting the right way everything is d/l to your computer and yes the samsung drivers go on first..and make sure to install them not just d/l them...

Upvote 0
Nitsuj17,

Prior to getting funky with my phone I used Titanium Backup in the BATCH menu to backup "All User Apps + System Data". I also used ROM MANAGER to do a complete current ROM backup. So I knew that I had an escape route should this not go as planned.

Onto the questions....

Last night I used Rom Manager and downloaded the Geeknik "StupidFast Kernal V1.54" and installed it.

After installation, the phone came back up as if a new phone with the new user setup and all. I went through that and then openned the application drawer and noticed that all applications I once had were gone. So I went into Titanium Backup (had to re-download from Market) and I did a restore by hitting MENU, BATCH, and in the batch listing I used the second blue button titled "Restore Missing Apps + all system data".

After reboot I had my contacts and call history, but no applications.

This is not what I thought would happen with the Kernal update, I was expecting the "engine" to change under the hood, but the car to remain unchanged.... So this kernal seened to be more of a complete ROM replacement.

Also, I expected that after downloading TiBu and using the batch menu to restore all apps and data that the phone would be fully loaded again. This seems to have only placed the call/contacts/test data back, it did nothing for all the missing applications.

What am I doing wrong?
Did I get the expected results, or is something not going according to plan?
Please advise!

Larry

some have had issues with tibu restoring....but apps+app data has always restored fine for me in batch restore.

i never restore system data...its hit or miss and can cause compatability issues with some roms....i just let google sync my contacts back...or you can backup your contacts in vcf format directly in contacts to the sdcard and then reload them

if you d/led the kernel in rom manager and hit (accidently or not) wipe data/cache, then it would have wiped your system :eek:

Upvote 0
if you d/led the kernel in rom manager and hit (accidently or not) wipe data/cache, then it would have wiped your system :eek:

Right there is the issue then. I had been thinking that I was always supposed to check to delete the data/cache, and so... you hit the nail right on the head! OK, so I will restore to my last nights ROM backup and then try the StupidFast again without the data wipe.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes tonight after my wife passes out!

Upvote 0
Right there is the issue then. I had been thinking that I was always supposed to check to delete the data/cache, and so... you hit the nail right on the head! OK, so I will restore to my last nights ROM backup and then try the StupidFast again without the data wipe.

:)

Upvote 0

check me at the door if Im wrong nit but I thought after doing a data wipe that restoring a previous Rom will not bring back data...hopefully for larrys sake I am wrong

Upvote 0
Google pulled in all of my contacts and I hit the "Get Friends" option and pulled in the Facebook contacts.

Last question for this first phase of what I suspect is success.... how does a person verify the kernal loaded? Everything looks and feels the same at this point, and without checking the delete data/cache the install flashed into the phone in just a few seconds... it seemed so fast... like maybe it didn't do anything?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones