• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] [HOW TO] Root the GSM/HSPA+ Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I rooted when i was on 4.0.1 (gsm) primarily for lightflow/adfree.

Stock rom, stock recovery.

Everything fine.

Upgraded to 4.0.2 OTA, which i assumed got rid of root, but to my suprise, superuser was still there, and adfree/lightflow still enjoy superuser privs.

I wanted to change my softkeys using ninjamorph which requires root.

When new apps try to get root access, it is denied, so i assume this is the breaking of root.

Downloaded new modaco r4 superuser zip

Same steps as last time, boots fine afterwards.

Now superuser FC's when i try to open it, and still no new apps can get root.

Unsure how to proceed.

Upvote 0
I rooted when i was on 4.0.1 (gsm) primarily for lightflow/adfree.

Stock rom, stock recovery.

Everything fine.

Upgraded to 4.0.2 OTA, which i assumed got rid of root, but to my suprise, superuser was still there, and adfree/lightflow still enjoy superuser privs.

I wanted to change my softkeys using ninjamorph which requires root.

When new apps try to get root access, it is denied, so i assume this is the breaking of root.

Downloaded new modaco r4 superuser zip

Same steps as last time, boots fine afterwards.

Now superuser FC's when i try to open it, and still no new apps can get root.

Unsure how to proceed.

Yes, the OTA will "break" root because it strips the proper permissions from the su binary. The su program and the Superuser.apk app continue to remain on your system.

I can't explain how Adfree and Light Flow would continue to have superuser privileges, though...:thinking:...unless its a case that the database that the Superuser app maintains still allows apps that had permission before (as long as they remain in exactly the same installation state) to continue to have root. That's the only thing that makes sense to me and is something that I'll research at some point in time (if true, this implies that if one could pre-seed this database with entries or be updated in some other way, then you could subvert the normal root checks--unless ChainsDD put some integrity checking on the .db to prevent just such a thing ;) :)).

It also does mesh and jibe that what you are seeing with new apps asking for permissions will be denied since they are not currently in the Superuser database and cannot be granted new permissions while the su binary is not properly secured.

As far as what you need to do now, you just need to re-install the root binaries (su and Superuser.apk). You can do this by following the ClockworkMod method (flash the su.zip file from custom recovery), or you can use this new process:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/499117-root-gnex-without-unlocking-bootloader-yep.html

This script should work just fine on the GSM GNex--the exploit used depends on the kernel version and not on a particular device model.

I'm working (as we speak) on publishing this in the GNex GSM area and building Linux / Mac versions of the script (as well as un-root options).

Let me know if you have any questions :).

Cheers!

Reactions: w0bbl3r
Upvote 0
Sorry in advance if this has been touched upon.

I've already unlocked my bootloader. and am now following the steps to root my device. Downloaded clockwork and su.zip files and placed them into the correct folder. Now I just need a clarification..when it says to "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img" that is in the CMD line correct?

If so then im getting this problem "unknown partition 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img' error : cannot determine image filename for etc..

Did I misplace a file? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Sorry in advance if this has been touched upon.

I've already unlocked my bootloader. and am now following the steps to root my device. Downloaded clockwork and su.zip files and placed them into the correct folder. Now I just need a clarification..when it says to "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img" that is in the CMD line correct?

If so then im getting this problem "unknown partition 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img' error : cannot determine image filename for etc..

Did I misplace a file? :thinking:

Noobism,

Yep! You've got the right command, but it sounds like you might have typed or pasted something a little askew...the format of things is like this:

fastboot <command> <partition> <image file>

Where <command> will be, in this case, flash
and <partition> will be, in this case, recovery
and <image file> will be, the name of the recovery image you want to flash, in this case, recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

If you are Windows, it'll look something like this:

c:\temp> fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

For Mac/Linux, its similar:

$ . ./fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

Does that help? If you need to, you could post a screenshot here for us to see...

Cheers!

Upvote 0
A few weeks ago I flashed the files from xdas thread on how to change to yakju build. I then used a one click root/unlock program(mostly to get google wallet working).

Ive been running stuck 4.0.2 since but I see that theres a 4.0.4 for gsm? Im still really new to this stuff (second android phone, but first time rooting). Whats the best way to start trying out new roms? Ive tried reading up on the topic but most stuff ive found just confuses me.

Upvote 0
A few weeks ago I flashed the files from xdas thread on how to change to yakju build. I then used a one click root/unlock program(mostly to get google wallet working).

Ive been running stuck 4.0.2 since but I see that theres a 4.0.4 for gsm? Im still really new to this stuff (second android phone, but first time rooting). Whats the best way to start trying out new roms? Ive tried reading up on the topic but most stuff ive found just confuses me.

Kyle,

Well, you are at least already doing the right thing: reading, researching, and asking questions--especially in the ROM's thread that you might be interested in flashing (the folks that have flashed should be more than willing to help you understand what it takes, what the benefits / issues are, etc.; also remember, showing that you've done some reading and research will go a long ways towards those members being willing to help someone that has already tried to learn--which you are clearly on the path to doing :)).

The biggest thing I would start you off with was to tell you to make sure you've taken a Nandroid backup and then save it off-site to your PC, should your internal SD card get wiped. That way, you'll always be able to restore your current setup should anything go amiss.

The next thing I would advise would be to select a ROM, read the heck out of the dev's ROM thread, paying special attention to the installation instructions, as well as other folks' comments about issues (especially with regard to installation / flashing, etc.). Using and benefiting from the collective wisdom (and struggles) of what others have already gone through will save you a lot of time and effort.

Here is a general outline for flashing ROMs:

How to flash a ROM via ClockworkMod custom recovery

I say "general outline" because there are often nuances and differences (especially w/regard to wipes) between various ROMs that make it so we can't just publish one set of installation instructions.

Finally, don't download or flash anything without having the benefit of a published MD5 checksum. Having the checksum and calculating its value for comparison against the known value tells you that you've got a whole, un-corrupted version of the file.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Noobism,

Yep! You've got the right command, but it sounds like you might have typed or pasted something a little askew...the format of things is like this:

fastboot <command> <partition> <image file>

Where <command> will be, in this case, flash
and <partition> will be, in this case, recovery
and <image file> will be, the name of the recovery image you want to flash, in this case, recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

If you are Windows, it'll look something like this:

c:\temp> fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

For Mac/Linux, its similar:

$ . ./fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.5.0.4-toro.img

Does that help? If you need to, you could post a screenshot here for us to see...

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick response :D

Heres a SS of the error im getting.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Upvote 0
Okay, I make a backup with titanium root correct?

Also I have the ROM manager app installed, do I need to install this clockwork recovery thing in order to flash a rom?

Sorry, hard to know what to believe when reading info from google searches.

A Nandroid backup is made via ClockworkMod custom recovery. You can flash ClockworkMod from ROM Manager (or from the fastboot command line utility).

You can backup your apps and their data with Titanium Backup, but there's nothing like taking a whole-phone (excluding your SD card) backup.

Take a peek at mskip's thread [GNex TOOLKIT V5.3] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE [GSM] - xda-developers over at XDA...its got a ton of good information that should help clear-up a few concepts for you.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Disregard my last post I had just came back home. Forgot to hit Shift + right click to open the directory under CMD :rolleyes:

looks like it went thru :D

Edit: as far as going under Rom manager and reflashing. Meaning just hit the "boot into recovery" correct? Haven't rooted since my DX

LOL, no problem! :)

Yeah, you can either reflash recovery (CWM) or boot into recovery from ROM Manager. There's a couple of ways to boot into recovery:

how to enter into recovery (custom or stock)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I downloaded the new driver....i did all the damn steps, and it will not show me the screen that says "unlock bootloader"!

It gets me to the screen that says start, power off, etc. And when i press the volume up button it shows me "power off"

i did the configuration with my windows 7 pc and the driver is connected and installed properly. Help!

I want to unlock and root.

there is no "root exploit" required to root the samsung galaxy nexus since it comes with an unlockable bootloader. So, this means that there is not soon likely to be a 1-click or easy rooting app to run that exploits something in ice cream sandwich in order to root the phone.

Here are the basic steps that need to be done in order to root the gnex:

1. Unlock the bootloader (warning: This does wipe the internal "sd card" portion of your phone)
2. Gain write access to the /system partition
3. Install the root binaries (su / superuser.apk)

unfortunately, the biggest hurdle for folks using microsoft windows will be issues relating to getting the proper samsung usb drivers installed and working properly. Please take note of the several options listed at the bottom of this post. For mac and linux users, this is fortunately not an issue.

The second biggest hurdle will be getting the adb and fastboot utilities installed and understanding how to use them.

note: I did experience some hangs while using the fastboot and adb utilities when my usb cable was plugged-in to a usb 3.0 port; these issues disappeared when i reverted back to a usb 2.0 port.

quick notes about adb / fastboot:
rooting the samsung galaxy nexus does require use of command-line utilities like adb and fastboot.

If you don't have both adb and fastboot installed anywhere, it might be easiest to download and extract the sdk-tools.zip file referenced in the "mini-sdk" section of this thread adb guide to a folder on your pc of your choosing (take note of this folder/directory's name).

<snip>

Upvote 0
Sorry I am new to this, first time android user..But I swear my PC recognizes the phone and drivers are working properly as device manager says....i also ran the test using the software and it showed connected...it brings me to bootloader mode, but then no screen that says or titles "unlock bootloader" even if i press volume up buttons

Upvote 0
Sorry I am new to this, first time android user..But I swear my PC recognizes the phone and drivers are working properly as device manager says....i also ran the test using the software and it showed connected...it brings me to bootloader mode, but then no screen that says or titles "unlock bootloader" even if i press volume up buttons

I see you've already tried using Wug's one-stop-shopping rooting tool...are you asking questions related to the use of his tool or the steps and methodologies listed in this thread?

I ask this because I haven't yet used Wug's utility (although I understand that it must use the same basic steps as espoused in this thread) but we'll need to know some details and specifics in order to help resolve whatever issue you might be having.

Can you verify device connectivity for both adb ("adb devices" when USB debugging is enabled and your phone is booted in normal Android) and fastboot ("fastboot devices" when booted in fastboot/bootloader mode)?

Let us know...we'll get you sorted-out :).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
I see you've already tried using Wug's one-stop-shopping rooting tool...are you asking questions related to the use of his tool or the steps and methodologies listed in this thread?

I ask this because I haven't yet used Wug's utility (although I understand that it must use the same basic steps as espoused in this thread) but we'll need to know some details and specifics in order to help resolve whatever issue you might be having.

Can you verify device connectivity for both adb ("adb devices" when USB debugging is enabled and your phone is booted in normal Android) and fastboot ("fastboot devices" when booted in fastboot/bootloader mode)?

Let us know...we'll get you sorted-out :).

Cheers!

Hey. Thanks. Well the device is connected adb as i saw adb interface driver.

Upvote 0
Hey. Thanks. Well the device is connected adb as i saw adb interface driver.

That's good... The slightly trickier part is getting fastboot USB connectivity to work (at least, that's what we've seen folks report).

When you put your phone in fastboot/bootloader mode, do you have connectivity when you use the "fastboot devices" command? (this is key because you need fastboot connectivity in order to unlock the bootloader).

Upvote 0
That's good... The slightly trickier part is getting fastboot USB connectivity to work (at least, that's what we've seen folks report)

Yes, if you get a "Waiting For Device" message, leave it connected and go to it in device manager and update or load the driver in question and BAM!

The "Waiting For Device" will be gone before you can look back to check it and you will be moving forward.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
That's good... The slightly trickier part is getting fastboot USB connectivity to work (at least, that's what we've seen folks report).

When you put your phone in fastboot/bootloader mode, do you have connectivity when you use the "fastboot devices" command? (this is key because you need fastboot connectivity in order to unlock the bootloader).

I see, I am re-installing pdaNET to give me the drivers, I am using the 64bit pdanet file for windows 7, maybe windows xp wasn't good...let's give it a shot, and i'll see if the fastboot usb shows under device manager, is that what i should look for?

Upvote 0

Just re-installed pdanet 64 bit driver, and I go to device manager and i see only SAMSUNG Android ADB interface.

I am using windows 7 with vzw gnexus

Upvote 0
I see, I am re-installing pdaNET to give me the drivers, I am using the 64bit pdanet file for windows 7, maybe windows xp wasn't good...let's give it a shot, and i'll see if the fastboot usb shows under device manager, is that what i should look for?

I'm not 100% sure since I used the Naked drivers, but I've read lots of references of folks that have had successing using thePDAnet drivers.

Here are the details of my experiences with the Naked drivers:

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/470831-how-all-things-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3711706

gapi had some great advice up above, too.

Upvote 0
Update:

While on the galaxy nexus root toolkit v1.3

I select under "quick tools" adb-phone on and I click "list devices" and my phone's serial number shows.

Then I switch to test fastboot bootloader and i select "fastboot - bootloader" and i press "list devices" and no serial number shows up meaning the device was not recognized.

Currently in device manager i only see the samsung adb android interface listed...nothing for fastboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones