• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Updates while rooted

Okay ? method do you use to root without installing CWM?

The easiest way would be to softboot CWM. Then after you root you will still be on the stock recovery. As posted above there are more detailed instructions in the how to sticky.

It sended me another update this morning and still failling.. it say :
Error in :" /cache/df673ab08a37.Yakjuux_update_ITL41D_To_ITL41F.zip Error 7
Assert failed : apply patch system/lib/
So with that can someone tell me what to do to get it install

So I'm on stock right now and have 4.0.2.
I am rooted and have CWM recovery and changed the name of the system recovery file.

Will I be able to upgrade to 4.0.3 somehow without wiping my phone?

Hey guys, I know I saw this thread a few days ago, but never posted and lost a little track of it...

How about this: I'll restore my phone back to 4.0.1 a few times and see how the phone behaves to the 4.0.2 OTA with regard to:

1) installing ClockworkMod
2) rooting (installing the su and Superuser.apk binaries)

That should clear up what actually works (or doesn't work).

I won't get to this tonight, but I might get to it tomorrow, etc.

Cheers!

Okay guys, just wanted to report back here with what I found last night (was up waaay too late to hunt-down this thread to update then ;)):

Q: can I get/install an OTA if I have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod) installed?

A: nope

Q: can I then just re-flash the stock recovery and then get/install the OTA?

A: yep

Q: can I be rooted and get/install an OTA?

Q: do I lose root access at that point?

Q: what do I do then?

A: invoke custom recovery and re-install the su.zip root package

See the full details / research here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469782-ota-updates-vs-clockworkmod-root.html

Cheers!

Okay guys, just wanted to report back here with what I found last night (was up waaay too late to hunt-down this thread to update then ;)):

Q: can I get/install an OTA if I have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod) installed?

A: nope

Q: can I then just re-flash the stock recovery and then get/install the OTA?

Q: can I be rooted and get/install an OTA?

Q: do I lose root access at that point?

Q: what do I do then?

A: invoke custom recovery and re-install the su.zip root package

See the full details / research here: http://androidforums.com/galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469782-ota-updates-vs-clockworkmod-root.html

Cheers!

Very helpful, as always!!!
Thx scary alien

dumb question:

I think I softbooted CWM instead of flashing it, but I don't totally remember. Is there some way I can check which recovery I have?

dumb question:

I think I softbooted CWM instead of flashing it, but I don't totally remember. Is there some way I can check which recovery I have?

Simple, boot into fastboot (POWER+VOL UP+VOL DOWN)
then navigate to recovery mode using the Vol UP and Vol Down button
If its CWM, it should say something like "ClockWorkMod Recovery Mode v5.x.x"

I'm rooted but stock otherwise, GMS Nexus, still haven't received the 4.0.2 OTA. I was under the impression this was *because* i had rooted, but this thread leads me to believe i should have been fine (lost root though) with the OTA.

Is it really *still* rolling out? i feel like everyone else has had it for weeks now.

I'm rooted but stock otherwise, GMS Nexus, still haven't received the 4.0.2 OTA. I was under the impression this was *because* i had rooted, but this thread leads me to believe i should have been fine (lost root though) with the OTA.

Is it really *still* rolling out? i feel like everyone else has had it for weeks now.

Hm.... I got no answer for this, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer?

Hm.... I got no answer for this, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer?

I'm not more knowledgeable re. this (:p) since I don't have the GSM version of the GNex. I got my 4.0.2 update on my LTE VZW Gnex almost immediately after turning on the device.

I assume you've done the "Settings -> About phone -> System updates" check and that your Android version does indeed read "4.0.1"?

I also got the OTA pretty quickly on the few times that I flashed back to stock 4.0.1 to test how the presence of a non-stock recovery impacted installing the OTA.

I suppose w0bbl3r could backup his files and flash the device completely back to stock 4.0.1 and see if the OTA comes in (it may not be immediate--I had to wait up to 15 minutes or so and did the "check for system updates" thing a few times (although I think it was actually downloading in the background at least once when I did this)).

Hope that helps...cheers!

Merged what threads together?:confused:

Oh, that looks like that happened way back on December 16th...

I can't see what threads they were, but there were undoubtedly a few other threads with similar titles and content. You may not have noticed right away if this was the thread that the others were merged into.

Hope that helps :).

Cheers!

Thanks, I just wonder what I'm supposed to do when a thread is merged. Am I missing something? Are there posts merged in that I need to go back and hunt down to make sure I am still in the loop by having read all the posts in the thread?

Every time it happens I go Huh? Wha?

Thanks, I just wonder what I'm supposed to do when a thread is merged. Am I missing something? Are there posts merged in that I need to go back and hunt down to make sure I am still in the loop by having read all the posts in the thread?

Every time it happens I go Huh? Wha?

We will only merge threads that are about the same topic. If you wish to try to go back and figure out which posts were from another thread it is up to you :) generally if you are reading a thread and understand what is going on with the last few posts as well as the OP then you will not need to go back and read every post between then and now IMO.

I suppose w0bbl3r could backup his files and flash the device completely back to stock 4.0.1 and see if the OTA comes in (it may not be immediate--I had to wait up to 15 minutes or so and did the "check for system updates" thing a few times (although I think it was actually downloading in the background at least once when I did this)).

Hope that helps...cheers!

Welp, had to get the phone swapped as it literally commited suicide overnight.

new phone is 4.0.1, no updates available.

offhand, any changes to unlocking/rooting with 4.0.2 and 4.0.1? As i've only done the latter

Welp, had to get the phone swapped as it literally commited suicide overnight.

new phone is 4.0.1, no updates available.

offhand, any changes to unlocking/rooting with 4.0.2 and 4.0.1? As i've only done the latter

Bummer w0bbl3r, but I hope your new phone is better than your first.

No, there's no procedural differences between rooting 4.0.1 and 4.0.2... I would suggest using the ClockworkMod rooting method:

- unlock bootloader
- flash or soft-boot ClockworkMod
- install / flash the su.zip file from ClockworkMod
- reboot and you are rooted :)

Let us know if you have questions.

Cheers!

I used the modaco superboot method last time and it went smooth, what's the advantage to CWR?

You get a two-fer: CWM installed (without having to boot an insecure boot.img) and an easy way to install the root binaries (simple install / flash of the su.zip file).

Superboot is still a great way, too :).

Whatever method gets you rooted and your comfortable with is the best :).

Cheers!

Hi Folks,

4.0.2 was made available to me on the 11th Jan,

i waited to do it to check here, did it expecting root to go.

root is still 100% in tact.

OTA 4.02 fail
Nexus, rooted, fails with OTA update to 4.02
UK gsm model,
Clockwork Recovery installed to give nandroid backup.

Not sure what 4.02 really brings to the mix, but will definitely want to update to 4.03 when it's ready.

OTA 4.02 fail
Nexus, rooted, fails with OTA update to 4.02
UK gsm model,
Clockwork Recovery installed to give nandroid backup.

Not sure what 4.02 really brings to the mix, but will definitely want to update to 4.03 when it's ready.

Yeah, the custom recovery you have installed is keeping the OTA from successfully applying.

You should be able to (fairly) easily re-flash your stock recovery. See this post here:

How to restore stock recovery

The only caveat being that those instructions reference the 4.0.2 version. You can try extracting the recovery.img file yourself from the 4.0.1 stock recovery images, or if you really need me to, I can extract and post-up the 4.0.1 file for you. Let me know.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom