• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Updates while rooted

Hi, this morning i got an ota update message so i clicked on install and then it rebooted ,dowloaded then while it was dowloading it stopped and showed a red triangle with an ! Inside why??? (I am rooted also but stock rom)

I'm assuming you can take an update while you're rooted without a custom recovery but can you still get OTA updates with CWM in place? I think on the Thunderbolt it wouldn't let you or something would happen(I'm not sure, I never tried it)

I would really like to know this for sure b/c I plan to leave ICS stock for a while want to be able to update without checking back here for the CWM zips

so what does everyone do? how do you set up your phone to still receive OTAs and also have CWM recovery for flashing .zips?

i was on CM7 prior to getting a nexus so i never wanted OTAs. but with the nexus, i want to get OTAs. i plan to (at least for now) run the stock ROM. but i still want to flash .zips for various tweaks.

so what should i do?

thanks!

OK , I am unlocked, rooted, and I have CWM permanently from renaming that one /system file on my Nexus.

Now that 4.0.3 has been pushed, I should not accept any system update notification, and wait for someone to release the rooted flashable zip, right??

Was a pain in the neck for me to get this rooted and I just want to stay stock, dont want to lose it already.

Did you change recoveries? If so and it isn't being rewritten upon boot that would cause the update to fail

I'm not rooting just yet, with 4.0.3 just around the corner and no great ROMS out yet I don't see a point in it... But once the dev community gets spooled up a little then I'll start the ROMing madness!!!

To answer other member, i rooted my device via fastboot and i dont really know about clockwork and i havent change anything in system i am fully stock exept the root. Is there a way to manualy install the update but would it work or **** up lol. Anyway thanks to get me a solution to resolve the update problem

To answer other member, i rooted my device via fastboot and i dont really know about clockwork and i havent change anything in system i am fully stock exept the root. Is there a way to manualy install the update but would it work or **** up lol. Anyway thanks to get me a solution to resolve the update problem

I found one awhile ago in the Android Central forums, but I'm not able to open the page right now, try Google-ing it

EDIT: here's a link
http://koolmobile.net/how-to-manual...-cream-sandwich-4-0-2-ota-on-galaxy-nexusgsm/
But you need to understand how to use fastboot, so I recommend reading the How-To Root guide first

I found one awhile ago in the Android Central forums, but I'm not able to open the page right now, try Google-ing it

EDIT: here's a link
How to Manually Update Official Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.2 OTA Early on Galaxy Nexus(GSM) | Koolmobile
But you need to understand how to use fastboot, so I recommend reading the How-To Root guide first

FYI, I just tried loading this 402 OTA update through clockworkmod. It gave an assert error and a similar "dead android" logo, said it was not applied. Rebooted and am still at 4.0.1 and still have root (whew).

So -- looks like we need a "hacked" 4.0.2 or 4.0.3 update? I'd rather not have to reformat just to get the 4.0.2 version.

Back
Top Bottom