• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is anyone returning this phone?

Well some of us have owned multiple HTC and Android devices and can evaluate battery life much earlier than this. I mean yeah battery life will improve with the first 6-10 cycles, but not THAT much. It is still what it is. It's a 1400Mah battery with a 4.3in screen. A recipe for battery drain.

The battery life doesn't bother me as I knew what it would be like going in. My Nexus One was like this until I rooted. I went from 8 hours battery life to 25-30 moderate to heavy use with a better ROM.

I get that. I know many T-Bolt owners have had other HTC Android phones. But those same people knew who the manufacturer was and what size the battery was before buying the phone. Many of those same people were "shocked" at the battery life. :rolleyes:

I was shocked on the first day myself when I only got 7 hours on 4G with minimal use. But that has improved over the next few days. I knew I couldn't make a snap judgement...

Like I said, it's never gonna be the longest lasting device, but I think it's going to be manageable.

Or invest in an external battery charger
Nope I'll just get several batteries. I still like to bump charge tho, regardless. I usually do it when I'm in the shower. Just wake up and run a percent off the battery, power down and plug in then hit the shower, come back and bump charge complete. But yeah an external charger is also an option for later in the day.

I'm just saying there is not going to come some magical time when a specific battery will stop needing to be bump charged if you are already doing it.

I get that. I know many T-Bolt owners have had other HTC Android phones. But those same people knew who the manufacturer was and what size the battery was before buying the phone. Many of those same people were "shocked" at the battery life. :rolleyes:

I was shocked on the first day myself when I only got 7 hours on 4G with minimal use. But that has improved over the next few days. I knew I couldn't make a snap judgement...

Like I said, it's never gonna be the longest lasting device, but I think it's going to be manageable.
you're right imo, folks should have understood what battery life was going to be like going in for the most part. 4G was an exception since this is the first 4G device....none of us knew what that would be like. I also agree that the battery life is manageable on the T-bolt.

But i get what you're saying: why all the battery discussion NOW, when we all knew this going in. :)

If people are getting 12 hours then there shouldn't really be any reason to take it back. If you get that, then at least 6-8 hours should be sleeping. Then you might need to charge while at home.

I am not sure what battery life I have been getting yet, but I know it is enough for me. Heck my Fascinate wasn't getting that good of life on the 2.2 leak, not as good as the Thunderbolt that's for sure. Heck I am even in 4g 90-95% of the day. So this is an improvement for me, I'm happy with the Thunderbolt.... For now, lol.

Cant wait for some good custom roms, hopefully CM7 and MIUI if the next few months and whatever else.

Gonna try bump charging before I make my decision. I LOVE this phone though.

Yeah, I think this yields an extra 5-6% battery life. It's not going to make it "significantly" better...but at least you don't see 94% battery life remaining on the HTC battery widget 20 minutes after pulling if from the charger.

I agree about the phone though...this is a very slick device.

Oh and just got word...there is now a custom recovery for this device! ROM on!...shortly that is! :D

Coming from a Blackberry, so i'm used to the battery loss and the need to keep charging.
So......... got a charger for the car, one for work and one for home. Problems solved AND the same BB charging cables and usb cables work with the new Thunderbolt!!!

KEEPING MINE :)

Yeah, I think this yields an extra 5-6% battery life. It's not going to make it "significantly" better...but at least you don't see 94% battery life remaining on the HTC battery widget 20 minutes after pulling if from the charger.

I agree about the phone though...this is a very slick device.

Oh and just got word...there is now a custom recovery for this device! ROM on!...shortly that is! :D

Just cant bring myself to doing it right now.. Its not thats its complicated its that I am lazy

First 2 days, only 5 hours of moderate to heavy usage, but today I switched to wifi and stayed in all day.

My phone says 14 hrs of up time, and 5 hours of awake time.

Very happy with that.

4G is a hog! :D

I'm hoping custom ROMs help with that!

my up time for today is 17:37

awake time 2:46

battery left 46%

lol at people who think this thing has "bad" battery. seems completely reasonable for a smart phone to me

Yeah right I love this phone way too much. Phone has been on for 12.5hrs and I'm still at 40%. Minimal use today though.

Nope I'll just get several batteries. I still like to bump charge tho, regardless. I usually do it when I'm in the shower. Just wake up and run a percent off the battery, power down and plug in then hit the shower, come back and bump charge complete. But yeah an external charger is also an option for later in the day.

I'm just saying there is not going to come some magical time when a specific battery will stop needing to be bump charged if you are already doing it.

I understand what you're saying, but with my Inc I got a longer lasting charge from using my external battery wall charger than bump charging in the phone. To each his own I guess

my up time for today is 17:37
awake time 2:46
battery left 46%

lol at people who think this thing has "bad" battery. seems completely reasonable for a smart phone to me
I don't know about the breakdown of your usage but that doesn't impress me at all.

Just as a metric, the iPhone 3GS does close to 5 hours of continuous Internet usage. Obviously you didn't use your phone for 2:46 of Internet usage. Hence we can say that the TB has, unfortunately, much worse battery life than that of the iPhone 3GS. That's not good. The only thing that cured my Incredible was an extended battery.

While I'm all for being positive, the only way this gets remedied is by vehemently complaining to Verizon that the battery life is unacceptable and that they should do something about it, e.g. replace it with a same size higher rated battery or discount us on the extended (or provide credit to those who bought it.)

Yeah right I love this phone way too much. Phone has been on for 12.5hrs and I'm still at 40%. Minimal use today though.

I really like the phone too - other than this. Minimal use and your phone battery is on its way out end of day? For a phone which HTC is saying has a standby time over over 400 hours of standby time? VZW needs to be put to task on this and on the RAM issue.

I don't know about the breakdown of your usage but that doesn't impress me at all.
actually about 2 hours of that was internet usage. the other thirty was text and calls, so that would equal just a little less than 5 hours internet usage if you used it the whole time.

I really like the phone too - other than this. Minimal use and your phone battery is on its way out end of day? For a phone which HTC is saying has a standby time over over 400 hours of standby time? VZW needs to be put to task on this and on the RAM issue.

Minimal use for me is about 30minutes of talk time and texting the majority of the day. I used it quite a bit but compared to normal days it was minimal.

Agreed! I ended up "bumping" it 4 times for about a 2 hour stretch. Makes that external charger seem like a good idea.

Quick question about bump charging-are you supposed to power the phone up in between bump charges, or do you leave it powered off? Mine was powered off and the green light was on. I unplugged it and plugged it right back in. The orange light came on and didn't change back to green for about a good 10 minutes, even though it was green 5 seconds before...

Nope but I actually returned my Verizon iphone I got for this phone and am very happy with my decision. Can't believe I left Android in the first place.

I'm returning my 4G Thunderbolt phone because I understand some stores are sold out so I want to prance around like a pony in a store where I'm sure someone will be hoping to get their hands on one so I can be like "NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!".....and wave in their face that they can't get a phone like mine.../sarcasm

But in all seriousness, I need to consider returning my case because I notice that my signal strength is diminished with the case on. That's the only complaint I have thus far.

Back
Top Bottom