• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just Downloaded FROYO 2.2 via Kies Mini

Thanks. Has anybody actually done step 3 (holding the volume keys while plugging in thephone)? I didn't do that and Kies sees my device fine. I guess I'll try to update when I get home from the office. Meantime has anybody had success updating on a windows 7 64 bit machine? It says the computer has to be 32 bit..

I did not do step 3 (as I thought my computer had already downloaded the drivers). Using Windows 7 64bit. Upgrade process when fine, except that when my phone restarted it was stuck in Samsung Galaxy S screen. I had to remove the battery and turn it on again. My phone was running Froyo and was noticeably faster!

Upvote 0

Home Screen:
New home screen tips widget assists users on how to configure the home screen with shortcuts and widgets and how to make use of multiple home screens.
If you zoom in with two fingers on the home screen, all the panels are shown in one screen and the end user can remove the panel and/or add. The max number of panels is 7.
The Phone, Application, Contacts and Messaging now have dedicated shortcuts on the Home screen, making it easy to access them from any of the 7 home screen panels.
GMS Updates
GoogleQuickSearchBox, GenieWidget(News and Weather ) are newly added.

Got this from another site. Wondering about items in bold. I don't see any GenieWidget. And what's the deal with dedicated shortcuts for Phone, Apps, etc? We already had them in 2.1.

Upvote 0
Updated.
Required me to get my hands dirty by touching a Windows PC.

OH Wow! I simply cannot touch a PC... I'm alergic.

Give's me the creeps and other stuff you really don't want to hear about... :eek:

I don't care what distro I need to use, as long as it's Linux

So... Now what? (as he reaches for the hand sanitizer and a nasty PC laptop)

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
My phones haptic feedback/vibration, something is acting odd, vibrating randomly, I was using Little Photo (?) and it froze with it vibrating, I had to pull the battery. Anyone else experience anything like that before?

I have noticed the random vibrates and it just froze on me literally 5 seconds ago. Pulled the battery for the third time now lol..... yay

Reactions: braj
Upvote 0
Seems fine on this end. Phone is noticeably faster - at least for me. Tried GPS and it locked faster than it ever did before but I never really used it all to much to be honest.

Overall I am happy. If they pull it no worries, it is better so far than 2.1

Yes, "snappier" overall for me as well and GPS locks faster, though still a bit inaccurate. Even internet browsing is faster. Youtube viewing is faster and we now have a "High Quality" option. Love it.

Oh, and thank God for the GPS on/off button on the pulldown bar.

Upvote 0
  1. On the phone, USB Debugging should be enabled. To do this, go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Tap Ok to the message.
  2. Plug the cable into the phone and then into the computer. The computer should detect new hardware and install automatically. It will do this for several devices and may take a few moments.
Step 2 doesn't happen, get error message about debugging was on and it couldn't proceed. Succeeded the 2nd time, but then when I got the phone in downloading mode, devices started installing but got this error:

Cannot install this hardware

Samsung Android Composit ADB Interface

An error occurred during installation. Fatal Error

Any idea whether I should proceed or abort somehow? It said it installed a bunch of other stuff but I couldn't keep up with it.

Upvote 0
Step 2 doesn't happen, get error message about debugging was on and it couldn't proceed. Succeeded the 2nd time, but then when I got the phone in downloading mode, devices started installing but got this error:

Cannot install this hardware

Samsung Android Composit ADB Interface

An error occurred during installation. Fatal Error

Any idea whether I should proceed or abort somehow? It said it installed a bunch of other stuff but I couldn't keep up with it.

I hope I posted this in the right place... I guess I'll go ahead and try the upgrade and ignore the error... I guess it'll tell me if it wont do it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That is exactly what the instructions say to do.....

While the computer is restarting, we will need to configure the phone so that Kies Mini can talk to it. Follow the steps below:
  1. On the phone, USB Debugging should be enabled. To do this, go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging. Tap Ok to the message.
  2. Plug the cable into the phone and then into the computer. The computer should detect new hardware and install automatically. It will do this for several devices and may take a few moments.
  3. Unplug the cable from the phone and power off the device. Hold down both the volume up & down keys while inserting the data cable. The phone will enter a Downloading mode. The computer will then install the rest of the driver files. If there is a problem with Windows finding the driver, let it search online to grab them. Once the computer has finished, unplug the device from the computer, remove the cover, remove the battery, insert the battery, and place the cover back on. Lastly, power on the device.
  4. Restart the computer.

I did number 3 and it entered download mode but never left it. My phone still says Downloading and Do not Turn off Target!!! Will that eventually leave the screen? It has been on that screen for at least 30 minutes. I never saw anything on the computer that said it was downloading

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones