• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][Linaro][O/C][GPL][31 JAN] A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix JB

The main problem I have been having with this kernel is that Wifi Tethering stops working after this is installed. When I look at the log it cant complete the MSS Clamping so it fails to tether. I suppose I could use something like PDANet to do a usb tether, but that can be a pain sometimes. Other then that this kernel is spot on! Thanks :D

I am following this guide, have KKE INSTALLED, and keep getting busy box not installed error. Synlink message. Please help me. What am i doing wrong?

If your using another ROM skip and follow below steps:1. Download this script*90zram2. Copy it to /etc/init.d and you have to set all permissions to allow.3. Open terminal and type:sucd /etc/init.d./90zramType "free" and make sure the last line under 'swap' has numbers other then 0 and it's enabled.If you don't copy the script to /etc/init.d ZRAM will not be re-enabled next time you reboot.

Sure do. I have installed it just to be sure. It still gives me the error.

u0_a143@android:/ $ su
u0_a143@android:/ # cd etc/init.d
u0_a143@android:/etc/init.d # ./90zram
sh: ./90zram: not found
127|u0_a143@android:/etc/init.d # ./90zram.txt
[90ZRAM]: Firing up /system/etc/init.d/90zram
/system/bin/find[2]: /system/bin/busybox: not found
[90ZRAM]: ERROR! busybox not found!
[90ZRAM]: Is busybox installed? Symlinks set?
[90ZRAM]: ZRAM NOT ACTIVATED. (404)
u0_a143@android:/etc/init.d #

I did that. I wonder if it's looking for busybox in the wrong location. It seems to be looking here:
/system/bin/find[2]: /system/bin/busybox

When I install busybox it showed the installation at system/xbin.

Could that be my issue? And how do I resolve it? I tried copying busy box to the system/bin location and it still came up with the same error. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded the script and did not do anything to it other than move it to the etc/init.d folder. I thought I followed the instructions pretty well.

Unless anything has changed in the very recent past, init.d still isn't functioning correctly.
(scripts from that location aren't being called)
To run a script at boot, use a script manager :)

I am curious how your guys are building this kernel from source.

I have been able to compile from the github repo and chaintools. Once i get the zImage i unzip one of the working .zips posted here, unpack the boot.img and replace the zImage with mine. Seems to fail when I do that, I tried mulitple branches of the source code. Anyone able to tell me the proper steps?

the kernel i have is
:
3.0.31-1175327-g2b30f46-dirty
belialdev@localhost #2
Mon May 27 23:02: 00:00 EDT 2013

Is that the right one?

::UPDATE::

I flashed the AKernel-KKe-v3.2.2.zip

Now my kernel is:

3.0.101-Ani-g0596215
mirage@belial #1
Sun Dec 29 22:10:42 EST 2013

You can always flash this one and find out... I no longer have the rush to confirm, but kke is based on the stock rom, so this will be compatible

::UPDATE::

I flashed the AKernel-KKe-v3.2.2.zip

Now my kernel is:

3.0.101-Ani-g0596215
mirage@belial #1
Sun Dec 29 22:10:42 EST 2013

Do I need to flash Dalvik Cache after updating the kernel?

Currently my OC is maxed at 1605.

That correct or is Dalvik Wipe needed?

After updating kernel my Wi-Fi seems to quit working at random. It just goes off then i have to turn the Wi-Fi toggle off and on again just for it to connect then soon disconnect. It works much better after a phone reboot. Also what is the best setting for the over clock on this kernel?

I'd like to bow to the dev for this snappy lil kernel. Very smooth & fast so far.

Currently, I have the scheduler set to "sio" & the governor set to "performance". Good so far, so I may just leave them as they are for now. I do plan on installing two games that just would not run properly prior to this kernel update, so some cpu tweaking will be in order for that.

And Wi-Fi is working well.

So here's a device status update:

I installed the above kernel, as you all will remember, and every thing was going gravy smooth so I decided I to try my luck with a custom theme flashed to the stock ROM.

Without toooo many details, I'll say that the theme turned out to be slightly off in regards to the status bar icons. I decided that instead of attempting to fix the situation, simply because I know nothing of theming & knew that I would be in too deep, I attempted a TWRP restore from a backup that was just performed 2 days prior...just to see if the freshly installed TWRP was functioning correctly.

The damn thing FAILED!

On the first attempt the MD5 verification didn't jive (...and here is where I should have stopped & rebooted...). But no! I toggle MD5 verification then proceed with a further attempt to restore. Restore process proceeds with a system wipe, furthermore & furthermore to about 80% then fails again.

Here's where I panicked because all my poor lil droid will do now is boot to TWRP recovery....so...here's where things get fuzzy, but I believe there was a factory reset, complete with another complete system wipe. I was button-pushing like a fiend, I am embarrassed to say.

I finally get things square again by a sideway load, not a common "sideload" but what I call "sideways".

I did it by way of downloading a Project Butter Rush variant, the v1 I believe, to my other Android's SD then swapping cards between phones to flash the PBR ROM via TWRP.

Luckily TWRP did not fail this time. My Rush is now functional again.

Now my first question is this: Why did the MD5 sum verification fail on restore? Or rather, why would it fail? I chose to compress on backup, could that possibly be an issue? Also, I moved the backup files to & from my extSDcard back to the internal...I have but a 2G extSD so as memory gets tight, my files travel.

Next question: This ROM is running fine, by the way, but the kernel has less RAM, 612. I want 639 again. So, do I need to run the 90zram script prior to flash or can I just flash the A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix sans script & still be compatible?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Gee. It's been 2 days & still no reply on the above post.

A big, fat sarcastic, "Thanks, guys!"

Suppose I will decipher my issue on my own.

Gee. It's been 2 days & still no reply on the above post.

A big, fat sarcastic, "Thanks, guys!"

Suppose I will decipher my issue on my own.
Hi, this device's section isn't as lively as it used to be. If people are slow to respond, it's because most have moved on to new devices.

As to your problem, it could be a number of things.

-you may not have had enough space available on the internal memory, so the backup was incomplete. (when creating a backup, you can change the backup location to external sdcard. You simply press the words "internal storage" and select external storage. IIRC, this option is present right before you swipe to start the backup)
-you may have corrupted some files when you transferred it from internal to external
-when you copied the backup to your external, the connection could have been interrupted (leaving an incomplete backup, which would explain the md5 mismatch)

The recovery and this kernel are fully functional and play well with either. So, using them together was not the root of your problem.

Yeah, I realize this thread is not as lively as it used to be. I was just venting a bit.

As for the TWRP issue, I assumed that I may have corrupted the recovery by the transfer to & from the extSD. Just needed to hear it from a pro. Thanks, mate.

I didn't see the option in TWRP to toggle save points. Perhaps I overlooked it or else I would have saved to extSD from the gate. Live & learn, ehh?

You seem to have misunderstood my 2nd question from the above post. Just re-read it & it is a bit vague. I didn't think that this custom kernel (the A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix) was in any way related to corrupting the recovery.

I am simply unclear about the 90zram's role in this Android power-play.

This is where I'm confused.

In the first post of this thread animania260 said the below:

If your using another ROM skip and follow below steps:
1. Download this script 90zram
2. Copy it to /etc/init.d and you have to set all permissions to allow.
3. Open terminal and type:
su
cd /etc/init.d
./90zram

I am using another ROM, a custom ROM as a result of the TWRP fiasco, so my Rush is no longer stock. Is the zram script necessary for a custom ROM and not for stock?

Back
Top Bottom