• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][Linaro][O/C][GPL][31 JAN] A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix JB

Oh yeah.
My mod was for ICS.
I'm going to make the next version for jb.
But bright now I'm working on a dual booting ROM with other special things in it.

I have a question I should have asked before, because I make it mandatory on all my devices, for some reason, idk

Back when I had my rise, a member said something about going to system/lib/egl and to delete the first line in the egl.cfg. and it should speed up device a little (noticeable), I believe he said it had to do with adreno and the gpu, Idk, have any of you heard anything along them lines.

I know, that when I changed the file, my lag wasn't that noticeable, but idk because I do so much to these phones I can't tell at times, but I do know one thing, this kernel is the s#!t, excuse my French, thank you so much for the kernel and all the work you do for our device and community :thumbup:

Yeah on your question here K Prize, I have no idea honestly. But it sounds like maybe removing the FPS (frames per second) cap or maybe something else with the GPU. Which would give better UI experience at the cost of little more battery usage. As always performance vs. Battery. That's why they limit/cap FPS on devices, I believe, anyway.

Heyyyy, what's going on, wanted to know if you seen this, or already working on it
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5946529

Git
https://github.com/czobor/android_kernel_samsung_msm7x30

I just seen this actually. I'll be working on this.

I have been working to get the kernel updated to mainline (actually codeauroa mainline- has more fixes for Android/arm kernels specifically like WiFi drivers that aren't in mainline etc) and so far have 600+ patches/fixes plus:

Arm optimized RWSEM -performance
Updated RWSEM to 3.10 -performance
Faster I/O throughput -performance
Reduced latencies -performance

You can check all commits here:
https://github.com/animania260/android_kernel_samsung_prevail2/commits/jb-4.1.2-patches

The top ones are the ones mentioned above and help with performance. I've tested it and everything runs fine, and I finally figured out why WiFi wasn't working with some builds. It was the WiFi module built when compiling the kernel... Just needs replaced with some builds.

So I can release that kernel if anyone wants it. I've made a backup of all the original modules in /system/lib/modules. You will need to replace to dhd.KO file (driver) with the one I have in a zip.

So let me know and I'll post it.

Yea, post me a link, I would love to try it out. Preferably a flashable zip, to install it all, that way I can go over the updater-script

Sorry for the wait guys. I went ahead and finished it off.
Im going to write-up a changelog later because the amount of changed/patches/fixes is hudge 1000+ (stuff), and even a list of the most relevant (performance/fixes) is as well so give me some time with that. Theres over a 1000+ patches here.

We are now updated to the 3.0.101 (Code Aurora mainline) Linux Kernel version. Lots of fixes for pretty much everything. Theres also a lot of ARM performance specific commits which I will be making a list for the change-log because those are most important, plus a few I/O patches to improve I/O throughput (file transfers, etc).

I also took a lot of commits from Mrg666 source on his Reverb Kernel (we have the same code base) so he had a lot of great things added, and you can see everything that I cherry-picked from him in the source commits on github.

Also thanks to Slayer72 for incorporating the new WiFi module into the zip with the kernel so we only need one flashable zip file :-) (FYI: WiFi will not work without the new WiFi module. I have a backup zip of the original modules I will post later for convenience.)

** Complete Stock Users **
Please let me know (just reply here) if you can change the CPU frequency if you are on complete stock (with root obviously). Thanks.

Enjoy!
Heres the link: AniKernel v3

broke my link2sd but other then that very nice

edit: well i fixed it had to delete a folder in sdext2

Right on, I didn't think any kernel change would break that.
Glad you got it fixed.

I'm still working on a few other things like:
Patches (fixes) for our BCM4330/bcmdhd WiFi driver

Remove more debug and adapt a memory map fix from Mrg666's source to give back System more RAM (kernel had it reserved and over-allocated). I've freed up 18 MB so far and this next build should push us over 20+ more MB then we had.

Few more upstream performance optimizations.

Coming soon to a Rush near you 😃.

I love the kernel I can actually play my N64 emulator, and now I can play mine craft in highest graphic settings and not much lag. Thnx. This kernel gets better and better.
:thumbup:

But the bad side is when I set it maxed out and use certain things that usually don't freeze my phone it does when this. I love the speed but it acts weird. I might go back to E. Kitkat 2.0 ROM that has akernal 2.3 or something like that if I keep encounter more issues. Idk if I flashed wrong or bad download idk any tips please tell me rhnx

But the bad side is when I set it maxed out and use certain things that usually don't freeze my phone it does when this. I love the speed but it acts weird. I might go back to E. Kitkat 2.0 ROM that has akernal 2.3 or something like that if I keep encounter more issues. Idk if I flashed wrong or bad download idk any tips please tell me rhnx

The KitKat ROM has something missing (certain files related to Kernel settings. These files allow you to change these settings and set defaults) in /system or /sys that cause this issue. I think Slayer is working on a fix, but not sure.

Changing freqs work fine on complete stock ROM.

I think I will just compile a different kernel for those using Slayers ROM with the default max at 1.6 GHz and other defaults since you guys can't change the settings for whatever reason.

That way you guys can enjoy the full speed of the kernel. I'll try to help Slayer figure out what's up with the freezes on his ROM when I get some time. I think I know what it is but not completely sure.

I'll put up the new kernel build for you guys later tonight when I get home.

I think I will just compile a different kernel for those using Slayers ROM with the default max at 1.6 GHz and other defaults since you guys can't change the settings for whatever reason.

That way you guys can enjoy the full speed of the kernel. I'll try to help Slayer figure out what's up with the freezes on his ROM when I get some time. I think I know what it is but not completely sure.

Ohh OK thnx will it have all the new performance tweaks and CPU and stuff in it if it gets working on kiktkat explosion?? I love it. Its fast but I'm using the 2.3 kernel the ROM has...
I hope y'all get it figured I really love how I play games better and better RAM

Did u get around to finishing the kernel for kke?

Will it be for testers only or when u test it be fully working? I love ur work just was upset that KKE didn't work with it

Back
Top Bottom