• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Kernel][Linaro][O/C][GPL][31 JAN] A-kernel v3.3-r9-fix JB

The only difference in this special KKe build is the Max CPU frequency is set to 1.6 GHz because for whatever reason those using this ROM can't change any settings.

And I also set the default I/O Scheduler to SIO (simple).

For those that want to stay at 1.4 GHz just keep using the main/regular version.

I have no idea. No freezes on complete stock.
Only issues Ive had is sometimes it gets stuck on booting, and I have to factory reset and then it boots/loads fine.

Have no idea what causes it.
I am not an actual kernel dev here guys. I just merge some code and make sure it works basically.

This is the issue... Works fine for some but not for others apparently.
Really weird.

It only froze when changing CPU min frequency... I did wipe delvik cache after flashing kernel. Would it help to disable and clear data of apps that changes the kernel settings like trickster mod and ROM toolbox? I had trickster disabled and cleared data, and ROM tool box was cleared data.
I hope the kernel gets working fully. I love the RAM speed its need in this phone lol. And the performance..
Thnx for your hard work, hopefully get the bugs out

It only froze when changing CPU min frequency... I did wipe delvik cache after flashing kernel. Would it help to disable and clear data of apps that changes the kernel settings like trickster mod and ROM toolbox? I had trickster disabled and cleared data, and ROM tool box was cleared data.
I hope the kernel gets working fully. I love the RAM speed its need in this phone lol. And the performance..
Thnx for your hard work, hopefully get the bugs out

The kernel is fully working on complete stock. I use it every day without issue.

I don't know what the issue is for some users. The only issues I've had is after flashing one of latest versions and clearing Dalvik Cache, it would get stuck other "Android Is Upgrading" screen.
Factory reset and then its boots fine.

I do not know what the problem is for users that are experiencing freezing when changing settings or these random freezes I've heard of. I have been running the complete stock ROM from Samsung/Boost since I got the phone and have no issues at all... So I don't really know how to fix issues for other ROMs. I can only speculate that some kernel related configuration files are missing from /system or /sys as I've said before, but that's just one, big, fat, guess...

The kernel is optimized as much as it can be at this point, for a single-core. Not going to get anymore out of this thing, and I'm pretty much done with this kernel and this phone all together. I may release some minor updates in the future.
I just wanted to release this updated kernel with some major (major..) upgrades and special ARM optimized performance improvements (that I've been trying to put in since I first started patching/improving the source for this kernel) before I moved on completely from this phone- so users could have a faster, more responsive experience (with less bugs), but it seems that was a bust- because of the issues some are having. Sorry about that, but I don't know what the issues are. I know a few users that have no problems like me, and others that have the weird freezing, but it seems ROM related as far as I can tell.

If I do release anymore updates, it will be in the next few weeks to 2-3 months. After that I'll probably be long gone from this forum and device. Just so ya know, everyone.

Happy New Year, hope its a good one for everybody!

Thanks for all the time you put into this, man. This phone would have been lousy and forgotten long ago without your hard work. It's a job where everyone is a critic and the pay is pretty lousy if I remember correctly... Lol. Good luck with your future endeavors.

About to put up a new release after a bit of testing, which I'm doing now. The new toolchain I'm building with ups 3d graphics scores almost double in benchmarks, which should be good for gamers.

Also to those that are having these freezing problems. In the root of your filesystem do you see a /sys folder?

Edit:
Heres the new release: AKernel 3.3-b2

Tested it for a while, its good.
New Sync subsystem patches from Google 3.0 source.
Some WiFi driver fixes
Updated MSM Bus driver code/fixes - from 3.4 Kernel source
A lot of DMA-Buff patches that would be relevant if I could get the ION code to work with it.
Also this commit: https://github.com/animania260/andr...mmit/31119116ddb26caf870110d7f0ae7b888ecd0407 is from upstream Google 3.4 KitKat sources. It sets aside an extra amount of RAM for the new tweaking for low-ram devices. If we had Kitkat than the ROM devs could then further tweak the values in the Framework files. But still it sets aside more RAM; keeps more RAM available for system use.

Overall its running really well. I've had less reboots since all the Sync and DMA-buff patches, so maybe they fixed something.

Oh I forgot to add this to the change log as well:

" KSM (Kernel samepage merging)

KSM is a kernel thread that runs in the background and compares pages in memory that have been marked*MADV_MERGEABLE*by user-space. If two pages are found to be the same, the KSM thread merges them back as a single copy-on-write page of memory.

KSM will save memory over time on a running system, gaining memory duplication at a cost of CPU power, which could have an impact on battery life. You should measure whether the power tradeoff is worth the memory savings you get by enabling KSM.

To test KSM, we recommend looking at long running devices (several hours) and seeing whether KSM makes any noticeable improvement on launch times and rendering times.

To enable KSM, enable*CONFIG_KSM*in the kernel and then add the following lines to your`*init.<device>.rc*file:
write /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_to_scan 100
write /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs 500
write /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run 1

Once enabled, there are few utilities that will help in the debugging namely : procrank, librank, & ksminfo. These utilities allow you to see which KSM memory is mapped to what process, which processes use the most KSM memory. Once you have found a chunk of memory that looks worth exploring you can use either the hat utility if it's a duplicate object on the dalvik heap."

Merges similar pages in RAM to reduce ram usage with lots of apps open. I enables it in the ramdisk so the kernel will actually use it per the above advert from the Android 4.4 instructions. &#128077;

Update - so far so good. Battery consumption is about the same. Noticed a zram option in the kernel specific settings for trickster mod. But it won't turn on. You can toggle it on but it wont stick. Is it supposed to work?
Screenshot_2014-01-28-01-03-36_zpsxd6j3oca.png

Freed up some ram. I'm averaging 185 mb free. Graphics seem a little smoother too. good work :)

Update - so far so good. Battery consumption is about the same. Noticed a zram option in the kernel specific settings for trickster mod. But it won't turn on. You can toggle it on but it wont stick. Is it supposed to work?

Freed up some ram. I'm averaging 185 mb free. Graphics seem a little smoother too. good work :)

I forgot to enable some other things that make zram work. But I just compiled a build with everything enabled. I'm also testing a new build with zram enabled automatically in the fstab.rc file.

Will update in a few minutes.

Well this build lets you properly enable ZRAM: AKernel v3.3-r9

But the switch in trickster still doesn't work. You'll have to use the 90zram script, and since init.d isn't working and I cant figure out why it doesn't work every-time you restart the phone you'll have to execute the script as root.

I'm going to try and put a line in the init.rc file that will execute the 90zram script, similar to init.d but just execute the 90zram script specifically, instead of everything in /etc/init.d

Every since the change to JB I cant get init.d to work :-(

Oh I forgot to add this to the change log as well:

" KSM (Kernel samepage merging)

KSM is a kernel thread that runs in the background and compares pages in memory that have been marked*MADV_MERGEABLE*by user-space. If two pages are found to be the same, the KSM thread merges them back as a single copy-on-write page of memory.

KSM will save memory over time on a running system, gaining memory duplication at a cost of CPU power, which could have an impact on battery life. You should measure whether the power tradeoff is worth the memory savings you get by enabling KSM.

To test KSM, we recommend looking at long running devices (several hours) and seeing whether KSM makes any noticeable improvement on launch times and rendering times.

To enable KSM, enable*CONFIG_KSM*in the kernel and then add the following lines to your`*init.<device>.rc*file:
write /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_to_scan 100
write /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/sleep_millisecs 500
write /sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run 1

Once enabled, there are few utilities that will help in the debugging namely : procrank, librank, & ksminfo. These utilities allow you to see which KSM memory is mapped to what process, which processes use the most KSM memory. Once you have found a chunk of memory that looks worth exploring you can use either the hat utility if it's a duplicate object on the dalvik heap."

Merges similar pages in RAM to reduce ram usage with lots of apps open. I enables it in the ramdisk so the kernel will actually use it per the above advert from the Android 4.4 instructions. &#128077;

Can this be done from the phone itself?

Okay i flashed all kernel updates from 2.4 jb too 3.3r9..the 2.34 jb kernel worked fine till sometime in sept.2013.kernels v3 (my fav) to 3.1 works..3.1 about 97% sucess rate..3.2.0 ,3.2.1,3.2.2 Rebooting issues ..i use jb stock deodexed rom..3.3r2 reboots randomly, kernel adjustments do not stick when changing settings.i use kernel tuner,set cpu, custom usettings and trinity kernel toolbox.I have these apps installed to system apps...all 4 apps makes my settings stick..im a gamer and an internet feen so connections matter to me alot..now i tried 3.3r9 no wifi...again kernel v3 all my setting adjustments stick..wonder why u guys didnt stop there..for anyone who cant change prl on jb using anycutt You Can...just delete the hidden menu apk..and use the I.C.S hidden menu apk installed back to system app reboot..and now prl changing easy once again on jb..im using business prl,..11114 with roam control..also sprint apn cinet.spc..changed proxy settings to 0.0.0.0 port 80 ..i made a shortcutt (roaming network settings)using anycutt of course..change network to wcdma on each boot..this option never sticks.i use porformance and row ...and now my phone is conplete...oh i forgot i love theming..xposed installer greatest app fir theming on the phone..i use to use ninja morph but xposed is easier..also inside xposed another app called Xblast tiols ..lots of good stuff like..stop sending usage to google..and cosmetic which overrides the custom device to Official device..gotta love that..ill keep posting..

I've had reboots on the official stock kernel ever since the JB upgrade... Prl has nothing to do with kernel. That's a system configuration file.

Also you shouldn't use more than 1 kernel app to set settings on boot. This is probably why your settings don't stick, and this can also cause reboots.

Back
Top Bottom