• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL] TheOC v1.7.20 kernel for MT Isaac & TG based CM7

well technically you're wrong considering many people have posted about being able to set their cpu to 1.9, but when they do they get stuck in boot loops and have a multiplicity of other problems that prevent them from setting it so high, and therefore have to flash back to previous builds or nandroids. and can't throttle up to even 1.9 like idbl_fanatic can't.... if you read on here he even stated when he goes to 1.9 he had to do a restore because stuff started happening... therefore some phones CANNOT run above certain speeds.....

oh ya and they're called "oddball" phones, and people have been having problems with these from day one even when OCing on stock Froyo.

oh and about frying the processor. yes this COULD happen if you use OC setting that make your phone go crazy and haywire, but if you're smart and watch your variables then you probably won't FRY your phone especially if you don't prolong it to such harm and only use such settings sporadically and test first to make sure your phone can even handle/do it.

Have you ever considered the possibility that these "odd ball" phones are the phones that are working correctly and the others are not. Perhaps the phones that are allowing 2GHZ overclocking are defective in allowing it, like they have a broken safety feature. If it's not that, then at least it should be an small warning sample of what ill-effects OCing can do to your phone.

Yes, you are right, if you just overclock to run a test or for a short period of time, you likely won't fry your processor. However, people need to be aware that if they overclock their processor to high speeds for prolonged periods of time, that WILL reduce the life of the processor. It might be days, weeks, or months before it frys- but it's life WILL be reduced.

well technically you're wrong considering many people have posted about being able to set their cpu to 1.9, but when they do they get stuck in boot loops and have a multiplicity of other problems that prevent them from setting it so high, and therefore have to flash back to previous builds or nandroids. and can't throttle up to even 1.9 like idbl_fanatic can't.... if you read on here he even stated when he goes to 1.9 he had to do a restore because stuff started happening... therefore some phones CANNOT run above certain speeds.....

oh ya and they're called "oddball" phones,
and people have been having problems with these from day one even when OCing on stock Froyo.

No, YOU'RE wrong.

The reason those phones can not go to a higher clock speed is actually because of the way a processor is made. When processors are made, they are made through a dye. This dye is imperfect; usually, the die at the top of the barrel is cleaner and more sought after than the one in the middle and bottom. Obviously, the dye has a minimum capability; the whole dye will perform at it's required speed; it's just that some dye, notably the ones at the top, will perform at higher speed.

Most likely the "oddball" phones have something different that allows them to OC high or they just were slightly different models. Every processor is different, making processors is an imperfect process. This is why some phones can not perform above 1.4 GHz, and why some can go up to 1.9 GHz.

Hope this helped. :D

Wsimon is correct in stating that OC'ing processor will harm it. It could be fast or slow, depending on the processor you have, but it will happen. There is a reason why the processors are not marketed at 1.9 GHz, and it's because they weren't made for that.

I'm pretty sure the only difference in the "oddball" kernel is it does not boot at 1.9ghz.

My last phone, I could loop linpack/quadrant/setcpu stress test all night at 1.9ghz rock solid. Replacement one locks up right away in linpack at 1.9. Oh well. At least the capacitive touch matrix isn't visible in sunlight like the last one.

Correct me if I am mistaken but I was under the impression you could pick out the oddball phones by the number of barcodes under the battery... 6 for oddball 7 for the rest. I'm too chicken to overclock though

Updated OP.

changelog:
TheOCv1-wip-2.zip
-Changed default governor to OnDemand
-turned off kernel debugging

there were a few devices that couldnt boot v1, "oddball" devices, so v1 oddball is a version that will boot on those phones, so if v1 doesnt boot on ur phone try v1 oddball, both like 99.99% the same and the only difference is setting default clock speeds

That is the difference between what was called "oddball" and the other devices. Setting default clock speeds.

These phones can overclock pretty high, but you have a larger chance to fry your processor the higher you try to clock it. Don't get mad at anyone but yourself if you set it too high and fry your processor and screwed your ~$300 phone (also don't lie about it and turn it in to VM for a replacement, that is rather despicable). OC'ing your phone is something you do at your own risk and isn't something you NEED to do (but yes it can be fun/cool).

we shouldnt have that problem anymore... since we all (on this thread) are running cm7. which required us to format our systems before flashing, resulting in all of us having that same system now. so we should all be compatible for these kernels. :confused:

I was running Beta .7 for several hours before I noticed the overclock kernel.
My phone has been reasonably stable since the mid alphas and usually an extra restore from Titianium backup or a couple of reboots and all that should be well is well....

With that in mind I just downloaded the oc kernel directly to my sd card root and flashed it with the latest clockworkmod without wiping or doing anything.... No problems to report....I set it to smartassV2 245min (Tickerguy does not recommend anything slower).

I probably can max out at 1.8 or 1.7GHz, as I ran that on stock with the umph kernel, ran 1.7GHz stable with the early alphas by Tickerguy, but I'm very happy with it maxed at 1.4GHz right now (although I feel the need to overclock is much less now than when running stock). My Quadrant scores tend to be about 1,000 lower when doing anything on stock 2.2 rom vs anything CM7 Tickerguy based at any speed. In several posts Tickerguy strongly discourages overclocking; and those of us that do it, do it at our own risks. The higher you go the greater the risk and also the increased possibility of overheating.

Yeah what you need to do mantera is under the menuconfig, have it set the min and max frequencies. Set it to 1024MHz. I can't remeber exactly where its at in the menuconfig but it somwhere, just dig around till you find it.

But @Ziggy, its not so much a software issue causing those phones to not boot at 1900MHz, its a hardware issue. Thats why even on the latest firmware, those older phones would still not boot on a kernel maxed out at 1900MHz. And yeah these phones will take alot, but its defiantly not good for it. I wouldn't go above 1500MHz for very long!

Yeah what you need to do mantera is under the menuconfig, have it set the min and max frequencies. Set it to 1024MHz. I can't remeber exactly where its at in the menuconfig but it somwhere, just dig around till you find it.

But @Ziggy, its not so much a software issue causing those phones to not boot at 1900MHz, its a hardware issue. Thats why even on the latest firmware, those older phones would still not boot on a kernel maxed out at 1900MHz. And yeah these phones will take alot, but its defiantly not good for it. I wouldn't go above 1500MHz for very long!

I'll take a look. Thanks!

What you have to understand about heat dissipation is that the reported temperature is not the whole story. You're measuring wherever the junction is that does the measuring -- the problem is that every junction in the chip must be able to dissipate the switching and current-passing heat all the time.

These chips are engineered for both internal timing and heat dissipation, they're not a guess. If they were stable at a higher frequency and didn't have a risk of running out of either timing or thermal margin somewhere in one or more of the junctions at a higher clock rate they'd be sold at the higher clock rate. It would be "free", you see, for the manufacturer to do that.

They're not and the reason is because they're not stable at those higher speeds. Part of it is a timing issue and the propagation of signals inside the chip itself, but part of it is also thermal. You break the timing windows in the chip you get a signal that arrives late and causes the gate transition to happen outside the expected and valid window of time -- that causes data corruption and the phone crashes (you hope, rather than silently destroying some of your data which can also happen!) but there's no physical damage.

You violate thermal limits, however, and the damage is permanent. That the phone doesn't "feel too hot" tells you nothing with regard to the internal junction temperatures inside the CPU.

Remember that as a mobile device the environmental expectations for stable operation are much wider than they are for something intended to be used in a house or on a desk in a business. Mobile devices are expected to function from reasonably-below-zero temperatures to around 120F, the approximate "limit" of human tolerance, without damage. Mil-spec (or aerospace grade) stuff is expected to work within even wider temperature ranges. That your overclocked kernel works fine in your house doesn't mean that when you're at the amusement park on a 95F day in full sunlight that you will retain sufficient margin to avoid physical damage. Tolerances stack folks, and if you don't understand what I just said you have no business doing this sort of experimentation unless you have a penchant for literally burning $100 bills.

I do not and will not support overclocking for this reason -- I don't know where the thermal limits are and how much margin exists and neither do you. You're not making an educated guess doing this, you're playing with a six-shooter that has one bullet in it and have no idea in which hole the round is present. My background is not just programming, it is also in systems engineering. I know how to use a 'scope and in fact own a HP digital storage scope; I not only program I build digital hardware for a living and have since the 1980s.

You're of course free to do this and as I've noted my kernel source is posted, so anyone who feels like adding the CPU frequency table entries is free to do it. But I'm not going to do it and I won't help anyone else to do it either; if you know enough to screw around with this then you know what the risks are and you also know that you have no idea whether what you're doing is safe for your hardware or not.

Boots and works perfectly for me at 1.5ghz. I've got one of the triumphs with only six barcodes on the back, for what it's worth. I've got no interest in trying anything higher than 1.5

I have it running at 1.5ghz and the battery drain is impressive! LOL

It runs just fine for me at 1.3 so I think i'll keep it at that for now.

With the revised kernel, do we have to go into SetCPU and change it from SmartAss to OnDemand

With the revised kernel, do we have to go into SetCPU and change it from SmartAss to OnDemand

Sorry, do you mean drain faster or slower? I have heard report either way. If it helps with battery life, I will try OC. thanks!

The default is OnDemand. If you want it to be something else, you'll need to change it either in SetCPU or in the CyanogenMod Performance Settings.

Stick with SmartAss. Performance losses will be very small, but battery gain will be huge when overclocked.

Sorry, do you mean drain faster or slower? I have heard report either way. If it helps with battery life, I will try OC. thanks!
In my case, it drains the battery very fast at 1.5ghz. I expected the drain to be faster but not that much. JuiceDefender doesn't help either. Doesn't really bother me since I'm always somewhere with an available power source and I'd rather have the speed bump which greatly improves the responsiveness of the GoLauncher UI. I also have several SetCPU proviles in place to help with the batt life.

In my case, it drains the battery very fast at 1.5ghz. I expected the drain to be faster but not that much. JuiceDefender doesn't help either. Doesn't really bother me since I'm always somewhere with an available power source and I'd rather have the speed bump which greatly improves the responsiveness of the GoLauncher UI. I also have several SetCPU proviles in place to help with the batt life.

Same here, I had at 1.4 and smartassv2 and it dropped from 100 to 86 in about 45 mins, restored to my backup.

Same here, I had at 1.4 and smartassv2 and it dropped from 100 to 86 in about 45 mins, restored to my backup.

I'm in the process of completing a full reinstall from scratch of CM and all of my apps. Will test it once everything is up and running. If it continues to drop that fast, I may revert back to the original kernel.

No, YOU'RE wrong.

The reason those phones can not go to a higher clock speed is actually because of the way a processor is made. When processors are made, they are made through a dye. This dye is imperfect; usually, the die at the top of the barrel is cleaner and more sought after than the one in the middle and bottom. Obviously, the dye has a minimum capability; the whole dye will perform at it's required speed; it's just that some dye, notably the ones at the top, will perform at higher speed.

Most likely the "oddball" phones have something different that allows them to OC high or they just were slightly different models. Every processor is different, making processors is an imperfect process. This is why some phones can not perform above 1.4 GHz, and why some can go up to 1.9 GHz.

Hope this helped. :D

Wsimon is correct in stating that OC'ing processor will harm it. It could be fast or slow, depending on the processor you have, but it will happen. There is a reason why the processors are not marketed at 1.9 GHz, and it's because they weren't made for that.

lol. you just confirmed what i said... that some phones (due to this imperfect process) CAN'T run at these OC'd speeds because all processors are created differently. so how was i wrong? just wondering. oh and on the OC part and frying, ya i realized that what i had wrote at first wasn't exactly correct so i edited it right away and took that part down within 2 minutes of the original post...

lol. you just confirmed what i said... that some phones (due to this imperfect process) CAN'T run at these OC'd speeds because all processors are created differently. so how was i wrong? just wondering. oh and on the OC part and frying, ya i realized that what i had wrote at first wasn't exactly correct so i edited it right away and took that part down within 2 minutes of the original post...

Erm, not really. You said that the phones that can not or can run at certain speeds are only the "oddball" phones. I was stating that (1) It's not really smart to overclock your phone for long, and (2) The problem doesn't apply to only the "oddball" phones, but applies to all phones.

Edit: You didn't take that part off within 2 minutes of the post, you took it down over half an hour after you posted. But whatever.

No harsh feelings. Just trying to clarify things here :)

Back
Top Bottom