• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL] TheOC v1.7.20 kernel for MT Isaac & TG based CM7

Has anyone had a real need for overclocking? I have had this phone for over a week running CM7, and so far haven't actually seen a need for overclocking. Now I do understand it is interesting to do things like this but for me battery life and the overall health of my phone is more important. I have tried this on my tablet with a tegra 2 chip on it, ran into a problem with a random reboot but didn't see any real gains when overclocking.

Has anyone had a real need for overclocking? I have had this phone for over a week running CM7, and so far haven't actually seen a need for overclocking. Now I do understand it is interesting to do things like this but for me battery life and the overall health of my phone is more important. I have tried this on my tablet with a tegra 2 chip on it, ran into a problem with a random reboot but didn't see any real gains when overclocking.

I don't think anyone NEEDS to do it, but some people really WANT to. I personally do not have any interest in doing so as my phone does just fine without it.

Some people just want to see the true performance of their particular phone. When overclocked, the Triumph performs on par with dual-core (not overclocked) phones. Quite interesting for some.

Some people just want to see the true performance of their particular phone. When overclocked, the Triumph performs on par with dual-core (not overclocked) phones. Quite interesting for some.
Agreed, even when bumped up to just 1.4ghz the difference is pretty amazing. GoLauncher transitions are much smoother and apps open much faster. The phone itself overall is a lot more pleasant to use when overclocked. The battery life is an issue for now but I am always near power and I always have a spare battery and GoPal USB charger in my camera bag which goes with me everywhere I go.

Agreed, even when bumped up to just 1.4ghz the difference is pretty amazing. GoLauncher transitions are much smoother and apps open much faster. The phone itself overall is a lot more pleasant to use when overclocked. The battery life is an issue for now but I am always near power and I always have a spare battery and GoPal USB charger in my camera bag which goes with me everywhere I go.

Second this. I was using Smartass with 1.7 GHz. The battery problem is reduced and phone performs very near SGSII quadrant scores.

I have it at running at 1.3 now and am happy with the performance. 1.7's a bit to high for my tastes....I'd fear the phone would melt in my pocket LOL

changelog:
TheOCv1-wip-3.zip
-set default max freq to 1024 MHz - hopefully oddball phones will now boot - thanks to b_randon and pwnyourace for the advice
-added 2 GHz frequency line - thanks to b_randon14, DooMLoRD, Napstar and FPX

I wouldn't say a "NEED" but as with anything else, it's a choice. Just like is there REALLY a need to root your phone, to install custom roms, etc. It's a choice that we all make and when making our choices, we need to be ready to accept the consequences.

changelog:
TheOCv1-wip-3.zip
-set default max freq to 1024 MHz - hopefully oddball phones will now boot - thanks to b_randon and pwnyourace for the advice
-added 2 GHz frequency line - thanks to b_randon14, DooMLoRD, Napstar and FPX

Are there plans for an miui version?

I wouldn't say a "NEED" but as with anything else, it's a choice. Just like is there REALLY a need to root your phone, to install custom roms, etc. It's a choice that we all make and when making our choices, we need to be ready to accept the consequences.

That was kind of my point. When it comes to rooting and ROM's the pros are heavy compared to any cons. For me I was trying to get a feel on the overclocking pros, since I have tried it before and never seen an actual real world difference. I could probably tell someone a phone is overclocked and they will "feel" a difference.

thanks for the OC kernel. I have it set at 1.4, trying to still keep it within "spec" :D

what governor is everyone using? I tried both smartass/ondemand at 1Ghz, and noticed from Battery Monitor widget that smartassv2 drains the power slightly faster than ondemand on idle. I thought it should be the opposite?

I only compared them once during two nights when I went to bed with different governor on so the result is not really conclusive to me yet.

Awesome job =] TY for this

Only thing tho....is it even possible to overclock to 2 GHZ? lol. I've tested this on 3 different phones and they all freeze up.

There any way to adjust the voltage? Maybe that would help make this more stable at higher speeds

Awesome job =] TY for this

Only thing tho....is it even possible to overclock to 2 GHZ? lol. I've tested this on 3 different phones and they all freeze up.

There any way to adjust the voltage? Maybe that would help make this more stable at higher speeds

I've overclocked to 2ghz and on performance governor and my phone ran stable no freezing or reboots but ofcourse i didnt overclock for too long that's too much of a risk

TheOCv1-wip-4.zip
- Added I/O schedulers cfq, vr, and sio. Go ahead and try them out if you want. I was able to set them using No Frills CPU control -- available free on the market. I tested running lots of quadrants and deadline still seemed the fastest on average than the rest but ymmv.
-Added SVS for voltage control. You can set the voltage in one of 3 ways:
1. manually edit the vdd_levels file in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ using either adb or a file manager.
2. Set up a script and put it into init.d to set the file upon boot.
3. The simplest way - use the Incredicontrol app to set the voltage. You can read about it from on xda and a download link is also provided there or download it from the Market:
[MOD] IncrediControl - Easy GUI Undervolting - xda-developers
Thanks to b_randon14 and chad0989 who's posts and links and info helped a lot as well as the million posts from everyone that I read over the last few days...
- I'm using the following undervolt table on my phone in Incredicontrol and it seems pretty stable; try out your own settings and see. The higher frequencies > 1.7 GHz would not undervolt for me without locking up and rebooting but your phone might fare better. I suggest that you DO NOT APPLY the settings on Boot until you are sure your phone is stable.
122880: 850
245760: 850
368640: 850
460800: 900
576000: 950
652800: 1000
768000: 1000
806400: 1075
921600: 1125
1024000: 1175
1113000: 1175
1209600: 1175
1305600: 1225
1401600: 1225
1516800: 1275
1612800: 1275
1708800: 1350
1804800: 1400
1900800: 1475
2016000: 1525

Has anyone that had an oddball phone that could not boot the first couple of versions of the kernel had a chance to try the last 2 yet? Are you able to boot now?

TheOCv1-wip-4.zip
- Added I/O schedulers cfq, vr, and sio. Go ahead and try them out if you want. I was able to set them using No Frills CPU control -- available free on the market. I tested running lots of quadrants and deadline still seemed the fastest on average than the rest but ymmv.
-Added SVS for voltage control. You can set the voltage in one of 3 ways:
1. manually edit the vdd_levels file in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ using either adb or a file manager.
2. Set up a script and put it into init.d to set the file upon boot.
3. The simplest way - use the Incredicontrol app to set the voltage. You can read about it from on xda and a download link is also provided there or download it from the Market:
[MOD] IncrediControl - Easy GUI Undervolting - xda-developers
Thanks to b_randon14 and chad0989 who's posts and links and info helped a lot as well as the million posts from everyone that I read over the last few days...
- I'm using the following undervolt table on my phone in Incredicontrol and it seems pretty stable; try out your own settings and see. The higher frequencies > 1.7 GHz would not undervolt for me without locking up and rebooting but your phone might fare better. I suggest that you DO NOT APPLY the settings on Boot until you are sure your phone is stable.
<snip>

Can you build a MIUI version for us?

Thanks to this, I am overclocking to 1.3ghz. For the sake of battery usage, I am using the conservative governor with the up threshold set at 60%
I also used your voltage table with IncrediControl.

FANTASTIC! Battery life is phenomenal.

Thanks for making this :)

Thanks to this, I am overclocking to 1.3ghz. For the sake of battery usage, I am using the conservative governor with the up threshold set at 60%
I also used your voltage table with IncrediControl.

FANTASTIC! Battery life is phenomenal.

Thanks for making this :)
I'm gonna try your settings but at 1.5ghz and see how my batt life goes. Right now, it's pretty bad LOL

Tickerguy, what are your thoughts on undervolting. Do dangers exist in doing this as they do in overclocking.. in your professional opinion?

For hahas, I decided to build a MIUI OC kernel. I wanted to see what all the fuss is about (I don't really remember what it was like on CM7). My verdict: meh. Unless the only thing you do on your phone is take benchmarks, I see no benefits (and only downsides to doing this). I see no perceptible or discernible difference in actual usage.

20111112_100554.jpg
20111112_101201.jpg

But since I already coded the changes to my MIUI kernel, I'll post the changes up to my Github. I should also note that I only did frequencies up to 1.4 GHz.

The differences I noted were when loading graphic intensive games or apps. Doing everyday tasks, I also noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever.

EDIT: also at 1.4ghz

Memory/CPU hungry apps that used to take seven seconds to load now take about three. The thing that has changed the most is battery drain while watching Netflix.. I changed the powersave bias to a moderate 250 and that seems to have curbed it along with tweaking the undervolt tables some.
I'm personally new to overclocking so I'm still testing the waters for that perfect setting :)

The fact is: Overclocking, tweaking, modding.. it's a fun, addictive, hobby for a geek like me.

Back
Top Bottom