• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL][UPDATE: 05/24/2012] bKernel-v2.3 & bKernel-CM7-v2.3 - 2.6.32.59

Great fast kernel. But ever since flashing to this, my battery seems to drain like there's no tomorrow! Any plans to improve power management?

Same for me. Minimal Triumph 1.0.9, bkernel 2.3. Mobsters v5 tweaks as of 2 hours ago, @ 52% right now, 3g.

Edit: Phone with no active use from post to edit, was at 46% when I plugged it in.

Phone also gets ridiculously hot with this kernel. Even though I am overclocked to 1300ish at smartassv2, this was running cool with the standard Whykernel on CM7 g60style at the same OC frequencies.

Great fast kernel. But ever since flashing to this, my battery seems to drain like there's no tomorrow! Any plans to improve power management?

I had the same problem. I flashed this and it improved performance, but the battery drain is much more significant than g60's kernel. Specifically when the phone is asleep

I have not had an issue with heat or battery using my Kernel. The only times it gets hot is when its hot outside and I'm really using the phone.

On CM7 I have never had a setup that didn't drain the battery worse than on FroYo, and on my bROM with bKernel, the battery life was really good, providing that the bug where the phone won't sleep on bROM wasn't happening(it was fixed by toggling gps and network location off then back on)

Im going to try to get the battery drain down on my next kernel

But on my current setup running my CM7 build and this kernel, I left my phone off charge all last night and it was in deep sleep the whole time, and it only lost like 10% battery over 11 hours which is pretty good if you ask me.

Im using your stock 2.3 kernel with the Froyo/sense rom and battery life is much better compared to 2.3 CM7...... Oh yeah, and Mobster tweaks.

I have not had an issue with heat or battery using my Kernel. The only times it gets hot is when its hot outside and I'm really using the phone.

On CM7 I have never had a setup that didn't drain the battery worse than on FroYo, and on my bROM with bKernel, the battery life was really good, providing that the bug where the phone won't sleep on bROM wasn't happening(it was fixed by toggling gps and network location off then back on)

Im going to try to get the battery drain down on my next kernel

But on my current setup running my CM7 build and this kernel, I left my phone off charge all last night and it was in deep sleep the whole time, and it only lost like 10% battery over 11 hours which is pretty good if you ask me.

I may have the not deep sleeping issue with my phone, rarely does cpuspy show that mode being used.

Yeah if your on bROM check everymow and then to see of its deep sleeping. On cm7 its okay. Its not a kernel issue its a bROM issue. With all the Modding to the framework somehow that bug came about. If it wont just toggle off and on GPS and network location in settings!

I have the stock 2.2.2 from Virgin Mobile with the CWM recovery.

If I wanted to install StockROM bKernel will it work? Based on post 112 it will work

Does this kernel have the same issues I see with the CM roms in terms of camera issues, HDMI issues, and other things?

Does this kernel have bluetooth HID support built in?
Does this kernel allow for wifi tethering?

I'm not sure if any of those are issues with the rom or kernel.

Yes it will work. And everything works as the stock kernel does!!
So what's up on a bKernel for the Sharp ROM? It is using the Triumph zimage, and your zimage boots but a few things are off. I would use the kernel from Ver6 as it is the cleanest. It would be a great addition to the Sharp ROM. :D

Thanks for all the work you have done!

This is one of those questions when people will go please back away from the phone and use it as stock.

How do I install this? Do I flash this in recovery or do I go into download mode and replace the boot.img Looking at the file system of the zip it looks like a flashable file but I prefer to double check.

Decided to flash using CWM and it worked out.
May be placebo effect but things seem to load faster. Little things that lagged before like the camera seems to open faster.

-What tethering app do you guys use?

Edit 2 :( put way too much trust in my nandroid backup.

So what's up on a bKernel for the Sharp ROM? It is using the Triumph zimage, and your zimage boots but a few things are off. I would use the kernel from Ver6 as it is the cleanest. It would be a great addition to the Sharp ROM. :D

Thanks for all the work you have done!
So your using the Triumph zImage? What about the ramdisk? What ramdisk are you using?

For now I will hold off on judging the heat and battery life. Need to use it a bit more beofre I can say anything.

Is it possible to adjust the touch button sensitivity? One of my biggest gripes with the phone was the insensitive touch buttons and this one seems a bit worse than stock kernel in terms of sensitivity especially the home and back buttons. The search button ALWAYS works but the home seems. To work far less than before.

For now I will hold off on judging the heat and battery life. Need to use it a bit more beofre I can say anything.

Is it possible to adjust the touch button sensitivity? One of my biggest gripes with the phone was the insensitive touch buttons and this one seems a bit worse than stock kernel in terms of sensitivity especially the home and back buttons. The search button ALWAYS works but the home seems. To work far less than before.

im pretty sure thats a hardware issue with the phone itself, so you should see it on all roms, thats why sometimes back and home just wont work at all, normally rotating the screen fixes it

I can confirm my phone gets significantly hot during use and stays warm when in in the standby state. I am running a clean install of the stock kernel rooted using one click root.

I can also confirm that if I leave my bluetooth on (I use it with a bluetooth keyboard) my phone will go into searching mode after the screen turns off and the keyboard disconnects (about 5 minutes). So far turning the Bt off and on seems to bring the signal back but it's a bit troublesome because I use my phone with a bluetooth keyboard for chatting and that requires data to be functional. :(

I was wondering what IO Scheduler/Governor combo is best for battery life? In my own experience, the Scary gov combined with Noop saves some battery, but there's gotta be even better governors out there. Lionheart? Lionheartx? Lulzactive is supposed to be one of the best.

fOCK kernel's developer suggests using InteractiveX, but apparently it hasn't been optimized with bKernel. It also seems pretty good.

Anyway, so does anyone else have any favorite, battery efficient governors for use with bkernel?

I'm using the interactive x one right now it sounded good but I wasn't aware it wasn't optimized for this kernel. I do like that one because I do see the cpu dip to lower states and the deep sleep mode.

I use ondemand. Its not fancy, but its tried and true. It ramps up quickly and ramps down quickly. And yeah I need to fix interactivex as it locks Max to 921mhz for some reason!

Ondemand and interactive feel pretty smooth but have always seemed to drain a little more juice when in idle than some of the other governors. Do they lack an optimized sleep profile?

According to this Wiki on the subject, many of the governors lack a (proper?) sleep profile. Ironically enough, Conservative seems to waste a great deal of energy when not in use, which suggests it does not properly sleep.

So far, InteractiveX appears to have the best idle performance. If I leave the phone by itself for several hours (with radios turned off), it's almost always close to fully charged. Even Scary is not as good as InteractiveX, and Scary has terrible performance.

By the way, there's a fantastic thread over at XDA on governors, modules, IO schedules, etc. Check it out here.

I'm currently evaluating SmartAssV2 because of its supposedly good sleep profile.

Can anyone confirm to me if this kernel has a similar auto-brightness profile to the stock kernel? I'm currenty running the U9000-81 ROM with the Umph v1.1 kernel and the auto brightness looks to be same as stock vs. the fOCK kernel that was quite a bit brighter at low/mid light levels. Maybe whyzor's touchscreen driver has something to do with this? I like the specs of the bKernel but I also like the stock auto brightness. :)

Oops I didn't even know it posted, I was browsing on my phone and I guess I ended up replying. But yeah I don't think I noticed any difference in terms of brightness. If anything it was more responsive and usable.

Back
Top Bottom