• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [KERNEL][UPDATE: 05/24/2012] bKernel-v2.3 & bKernel-CM7-v2.3 - 2.6.32.59

Hope everyone enjoys the new kernels, and keep on the lookout for CM7 bROM edition, its in the works right now!!
The Kernel man with his own CM7 ROM I bet it will kick some major @$$ :).But I got a question.Have you tried working on a kernel for the CM9 build?I read that they think its the kernel that's causing the camera to not work.If you could build a kernel for CM9 to get the camera working then I'm sure the MT owners on here will worship you for it lol.

Yeah lol I'm actually running my build right now. I'm putting some hours on it to test it out!

But yeah I've thought about trying to make an ics kernel, but at the moment I do believe from what I've read is we need a 2.6.35.x based kernel instead of our 2.6.32.x based kernel. Something in the way the kerneel calls to the camera from what I've read from tj ans everyone. And I'm afraid I don't know enough about how the Linux kernel interacts with the hardware to fix the camera. I have been trying to get a 2.6.35 kernel working on our phone without much luck. But I'm trying!

Just wanted to say Thank you for your work on the cm7 kernel. I have enjoyed your work for awhile now. I had your bRom on my Slamsung Intercept as my daily runner.

Awesome work and keep it up!! :D

Yeah lol I'm actually running my build right now. I'm putting some hours on it to test it out!

But yeah I've thought about trying to make an ics kernel, but at the moment I do believe from what I've read is we need a 2.6.35.x based kernel instead of our 2.6.32.x based kernel. Something in the way the kerneel calls to the camera from what I've read from tj ans everyone. And I'm afraid I don't know enough about how the Linux kernel interacts with the hardware to fix the camera. I have been trying to get a 2.6.35 kernel working on our phone without much luck. But I'm trying!
Well at least you are trying which is awesome.hmmm so the kernel tells the camera "hey take a pic" or "hey take a video" and "hey show what's in front of me"........are you trying to port a kernel or make one from scratch?I know nothing about kernels at all but if you are trying to port a kernel you would need to port one from a phone that is very close to ours.If you are building one from scratch you just need to know what part of the kernel controls the camera right?Like I said I know nothing about kernels just thinking out loud lol.

Well I'm not real sure how the camera and kernel interact. I haven't looked at the code much. But there is a 2.6.35 kernel for the ideos x6 which is alot like our phone. So I'm gonna try that one.

As for the battery, you need to check and see if there are any wakelockss preventing your phone from sleeping. There are many factors besides the kernel that affect battery life. Apps can hols wakelocks keeping the phone from sleeping while the screen is off. Also was wifi or bluetooth enabled? On cm7 having them enabled will not let the phone sleep. Are you overclocked? Were you heavily using the phone? What version of cm7 are you running?

And I have never ran a cm7 rom/kernel combo that got great battery. And about the keyboard, that is most likely just cm7. Our cm7 builds are horrible at memory management. And even on g60's cm7 with his kernel I ran into lag on the keyboard. Worse actually on his and whyzors kernels than with mine.

And I never pulled in the commit from mangers that broke the proximity sensor so my kernel never had that issue. And the camera fixes are all in the rom so my kernel wont affect that. I pulled in all important changes from whyzor, mangers, and g60 on my latest cm7 kernel. And I should be releasing a new on for both froyo and cm7 tomorrow. They both will be v2.3. I'm gonna keep them at the same version numbers so people wont think one has more stuff than the other. My cm7 and froyo kernels are almost identical aside from cm7 fixes in the cm7 kernel and of course the ramdisks which have to be different for the different roms.

I have updated both kernels to v2.3 and they will stay at the same versions from now on so their is no confusion as to which one has more features. They both receive the same treatment!! I'm hoping to see better battery life and performance out of this one. Hope everyone enjoys! Thanks to all the supporters!

Ok, looks like bootloop "bug" on stock is gone!
Running it right now, will report how it goes.

quick question. I'm running stock, unrooted right now. What apps should I install to get all the goodies (everything this kernel supports), without installing custom roms?

Thank you!

Thanks for keeping these updated! BTW if you could make cm7 or ics rom as fast as your froyo one that would be awesome!

Thanks for keeping these updated! BTW if you could make cm7 or ics rom as fast as your froyo one that would be awesome!

Well I am working on a CM7 ROM at the moment. Its not yet ready to be released, but it is getting close (really close actually). You can check the progress of it on my github. I have about 20 of the CM repos forked making changes to them lol!

Ok, looks like bootloop "bug" on stock is gone!
Running it right now, will report how it goes.

quick question. I'm running stock, unrooted right now. What apps should I install to get all the goodies (everything this kernel supports), without installing custom roms?

Thank you!

On a stock ROM, you really need to be rooted in order to take advantage. The easiest way since you already have CWM installed, is just download the latest Superuser CWM flashable zip here http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip and flash it through CWM to have root. From there apps like SetCPU and CPU Master can change frequencies and stuff like that. Incredicontrol can undervolt the phone and change i/o governors. But basically most of the goodies included in the kernel run without needed apps to activate it. Some things are ROM specific like KSM(Kernel Samepage Merging) which I don't believe is available in any FroYo ROM, and any of the released CM7 roms its not included, but I have it added to my CM7 build at the moment. But most things in my kernel do not need apps and stuff to make work other than overclocking and undervolting and changing the cpu governor and i/o schedulers

One thing that just happened was the processor was stuck at max speed. I have it underclocked to 921 and scaling is on smartassv2. A reboot fixed it for now.

Bluetooth breaks 3G signal. Actually it breaks both voice and data signals.
To replicate: turn on bluetooth, leave the phone for 5 mins > no signals.

Well I'm not real sure how the camera and kernel interact. I haven't looked at the code much. But there is a 2.6.35 kernel for the ideos x6 which is alot like our phone. So I'm gonna try that one.
Ok cool cool.Hope that this will be what ICS lovers are looking for in a fix for the camera.It would be great.Any help that I can give I would love to!

Using 2.3 CM7 for g60s latest I could not replicate any issues with bluetooth. During my first day with this kernel I had 93% deep sleep during a six hour period with checks every hour or so. Could be placebo effect but it does seem every so slightly smoother than kernel included with g60s. Keep up the good work b_randon!

Hey b_randon would it be possible to get a kernel version with the 368mhz, 576mhz, 768mhz, 921mhz, 1.113ghz, and 1.305ghz cpu frequency removed. Or point me in a direction to make a script maybe? i like to use scary because it locks at 122 screen off; mostly stays at 245 screen on, and ramps up nice when less steps are active.

Just wondering if I can change something in the build.prop to make wifi go to sleep faster when I turn the screen off

Back
Top Bottom