• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

KitKat 4.4.2 "bugfix" updates rolling out

Good to see that carriers are releasing updates to keep up with the unbranded models. :)

A further KitKat update has been released for the International GT-i9505, quad core, Galaxy S4.

DRE = Austria (Hutchinson) update from NC5 -> NF6

WIN = Italy (Wind) update from NB9 -> NF1

Check both Kies and OTA, (Over The Air). For more details on firmware, CSC and Product codes, see 28 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?

See, also...

International i9505 KitKat 4.4.2 releases

International i9500 KitKat 4.4.2 releases

International i9506 KitKat 4.4.2 releases

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/847201-kitkat-4-4-2-release-fact-fiction.html

Update Problems - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0
A further KitKat update has been released for the International GT-i9505, quad core, Galaxy S4.

HTS = Sweden (Tre) update from NC5 -> NF6

A further KitKat update has been released for the International GT-i9500, octa core, Galaxy S4.

OXE = Uzbekistan update from NB3 -> NF4

Check both Kies and OTA, (Over The Air). For more details on firmware, CSC and Product codes, see 28 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?

See, also...

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/847201-kitkat-4-4-2-release-fact-fiction.html

Upvote 0
Well, it appears the new update was a success. Battery life has been extended and I am getting better signal strength for calls. Prior to the update, the battery would be drained to less than 50% overnight. This morning it was still at 85%. I now get a couple of bars in the basement where I got much less before the update.

Will keep you posted if things change.

Upvote 0
Well, it appears the new update was a success. Battery life has been extended and I am getting better signal strength for calls. Prior to the update, the battery would be drained to less than 50% overnight. This morning it was still at 85%. I now get a couple of bars in the basement where I got much less before the update.

Will keep you posted if things change.

Thanks! That pretty much falls in line with what people are experiencing on the latest NE, NF and NG releases on the International editions which is why it is always a good idea to grab these improvement/bugfix updates and why Samsung are so keen to get them out. :)

Upvote 0
A further KitKat update has been released for the International GT-i9500, octa core, Galaxy S4.

OXE = Uxbekistan updated from NB3 -> NF4

SER = Russia updated from NB3 -> NE7 -> NG3

OJV = South Africa updated from NB4 -> NE7

See, also...

Upvote 0
I may have been a bit over anxious in stating the battery life was extended. That extension (over a period of a few days), proved to be minimal, at best.

Signal strength seems to have increased by only a small margin in actual use.

Speed of apps is a bit better. WiFi seems better. No measure for Bluetooth.

The real test will be when I go back up to northwestern Wisconsin. Reception up there is dismal. 4G LTE is non-existent (it drops to 3G sometimes, 1x most of the time). Text and WiFi (when I can find a place that has it) are the only way to communicate.

Upvote 0

OLB = Singapore update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Philippines (Globe) update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Philippines (Sun Cellular) update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Singapore (SingTel) update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Philippines (Open Line) update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Malsaysia update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Philippines (Smart) update from NBE -> NG4

OLB = Singapore (Star Hub) update from NBE -> NG4

See, also...

Upvote 0
Hi
I'm pretty much a noob, and been wondering why my S4 is yet to update to kitkat while friends on same carrrier around me have been updated already via OTA.

AP: I9505XXUEMK9
CP: I9505XXUEMK9
CSC: I9505XSAEMK3

Any advice or directing to another thread where I should be reading further would be awesome help.
cheers

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Tomsta! :)

Currently, there is no update to Android 4.4.2 for CSC code XSA.

For more information on your model and CSC and Product codes, see 28 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?

Upvote 0
Thanks Ironass, appreciate the response.
I've seen your updates and seems like basically all countries have received updates except Australia. I'm guessing the carriers here are dragging their feet which is typical.
Have you heard anything that explains why Australia is so slow?

Thanks again!
Cheers

Your guess is as good as mine as to why Vodafone, Telstra and Optus, Australia, have not released Android 4.4.2 some 7 months after its debut.

Upvote 0
Why hasn't Verizon fixed it's OS yet?

The only answer I can give you Funderbolt is the one from post #45...

Frankly, the U.S.A. minority variants below, are way behind most of the worldwide unbranded models that are largely on May, June and even July builds.

There appears to be a reluctance on the part of these U.S. carriers to pass on any improvement updates that Samsung issue. This could, in part, be because of the enormous amount of time, effort and money that needs to be invested by some of these carriers to incorporate all of their add-on's and firmware changes to the stock Samsung builds before they can be released.

It's not like Samsung haven't provided the carriers with all the updates. U.S. Cellular is the only U.S.A. carrier to offer a bugfix update since the original launch of Android 4.4.2. In fact, they have had 2 bugfix updates that now means they are on June firmware. See post #54.

IMHO, if U.S. carriers stopped piling on their own apps and modifying the Samsung/Android firmware and also passed on regular updates that the rest of the world receives, there would be far fewer complaints on this forum from the 7 mainstream U.S. carrier branded handsets that, collectively, only represent less than 2% of all Samsung Galaxy S4 firmware releases worldwide.

Reactions: Funderbolt
Upvote 0

HUI = Italy (H3G) update from NC5 -> NF6

H3G = United Kingdom update from NC5 -> NF6

3IE = Ireland (Three) update from NC5 -> NF6

See, also...

Upvote 0

OJV = Unknown (Product code XSZ) update from NE5 -> NG2

OJV = United Arab Emirates update from NE5 -> NG2

OJV = Unknown (Product code XST) update from NE5 -> NG2

OJV = Unknown (Product code XSN) update from NE5 -> NG2

OJV = Unknown (Product code XSB) update from NE5 -> NG2

See, also...

Upvote 0
In #1.2 of post #1, I cite, as an example, the updates received by the International, GT-i9505, unbranded model for Germany. At that time, April 2014, it had received 8, "bugfix", firmware updates above and beyond the the 2 platform updates and the original release firmware.

Since then, it has had another platform update to Android 4.4.2 and a further 4, "bugfix", updates, (roughly 1 every month), to improve and enhance the firmware...

OXA = Germany update from NB8 -> NE5 -> NF1 -> NG2 -> NG8

I am by no means a Samsung fanboy but I do not know of any other manufacturer that offers this kind of support to a 16 month old phone that has had 3 platform updates, 4.2.2 -> 4.3 -> 4.4.2, as well as 12, "bugfix", updates in that time. :) Therefore, I stand by my opening statement in post #1...

#1.0. There can be no doubt that one area that Samsung excel at is their policy of continual improvement and updates to their firmwares.

YBT = Germany (Black Edition) update from NF1 -> NG2 -> NG8

OXE = Russia update from NC9 -> NF1 -> NG8

See, also...

Upvote 0

OZS = Hong Kong updated to NF2

OZS = Taiwan updated to NF2

See, also...

Upvote 0
I've just had a "bugfix" update yesterday on 3 in the UK, the NF6 update I believe.

Since the update my phone keeps restarting randomly, for no apparent reason. The screen timeout also keeps resetting to 15 seconds annoyingly. When the phone restarts the screen is also on a low brightness for about the first half of the 3 logo showing, and then it goes back to full brightness, which I think is odd.

Does anyone know what might have gone wrong, and is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Apologies if I should've started a new thread, I thought this was an appropriate place though.

I'm not rooted, using an I9505.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I tried it and thought it worked, it lasted a couple of hours but seems to have just restarted again while I wasn't looking. The screen timeout changed back to 15 seconds again too :-(

Any other ideas? I really don't want to have to reset my phone, but this is very annoying behaviour.

Edit: definitely still have this problem, it has done it again.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I tried it and thought it worked, it lasted a couple of hours but seems to have just restarted again while I wasn't looking. The screen timeout changed back to 15 seconds again too :-(

Any other ideas? I really don't want to have to reset my phone, but this is very annoying behaviour.

Edit: definitely still have this problem, it has done it again.

Try a Factory Data Reset or re-flashing your firmware as per #2.0 and #2.6 of the Update Problems - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0

ODD = India update from NB3 -> NC1-> NE4 -> NG1

See, also...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones