• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root List of Apps to Safely Remove & Tips

I have removed "Voice Control Suite" with no effects I can see. Only thing is that it will put you into a "force close" loop when you do it and you have to do a battery pull.

With all the stuff Ive removed and "CPUtune" I have my battery use down to about 1%/hr with the screen off idle.

Not sure if it has to do with removing the stock "keyboard" app (havent reinstalled yet), but when long pressing on a text field and touching "input methods" the phone instantly reboots.

You all need to be careful. You are meddling with some of the heart of the operating system and are going to be very unhappy with the end result. There is no fixing a brick.

Listen to rjglenn!

You cannot repair them when you cross that fine line.......they become paperweights.

Successfully removed:
News and Weather 1.3.03
Music 2.2.1 (replaced with PowerAmp)

I removed them also a while back along with gallery. I use poweramp for audio and moboplayer for video. I use JustPictures for my photo gallery.
Haven't noticed any problems.

Awesome info guys! I got my new commando Thursday then used your help to root it yesterday (with superone click) and just finished using titanium to remove all the apps on your list (after creating a backup of course and moving a copy of the backup to the hard drive on my laptop).. Thanks for the info!

Neil

I uninstalled Browser 2.2.1
only problem with that is Google Voice Search doesn't work.

ALSO. I uninstalled Home, and have the GO Launcher, but for some reason connecting to the computer with USB wouldn't work. Tried a reboot and it wouldn't work. I reinstalled Home and the stock Browser, rebooted, and I was able to connect through USB.

Not sure which had an affect on the USB. But yeah, be sure you backup EVERYTHING.

Yup. There are things that rely on other things to work properly. If you remove Google talk the market won't work.

I have a "problem loading widget" message after removing most of the gz crap on the home and some of the other screens. workaround?

I've been trying to find out what some of these apps are.
According to what I've found, the "Sim Toolkit 2.2.1" app is used for mobile payments/mobile banking. From what I've read, I don't think it is used in the USA.

"Now if you live in the States, you might not even know what the STK is, so a bit of explaining is in order. Put simply, the STK allows carriers to load a simple set of menus and 'applications' on your SIM card. Again, on your fancy iPhone, you may question the need or purpose for such a thing, but that's because you are still years behind and using a credit card. Here, (in Rwanda) where credit cards are virtually unknown, the present and future of payments is Mobile Money, which is almost always delivered via.. you guessed it, the STK."

If anyone knows differently, please reply.

Hey guys I did the root and installed Titanium. Removed certain apps off the phone from your lists above however my contacts have disappeared. Any help in getting them back would be greatly appreciated. I didn't delete anything that wasn't on the above list and I was very conservative from that list. Only did about half of it.

Hey guys I did the root and installed Titanium. Removed certain apps off the phone from your lists above however my contacts have disappeared. Any help in getting them back would be greatly appreciated. I didn't delete anything that wasn't on the above list and I was very conservative from that list. Only did about half of it.

Had the exact thing happen to me... Rooted my phone 2 days ago then out of the blue this morning my phone went on a totally random SPAZ and deleted all my contacts. Had to call Verizon and had to reset to factory defaults to get backup assistant to work to reload my contacts. All seems well now and have all my contacts back on my phone. Wish you the best with yours, by the way... my phone stayed rooted and doing better now then before the contacts disappeared and running smoother then ever!

My guess is that those who lost the contact list were still letting their contact list sync to Google.

Even non-rooted users can lose the contacts if you rely solely on the sync to maintain them. Letting them sync to Google can actually create a situation where you lose all of them if you are not careful in how you edit them. I speak of a situation I experienced while trying to reorganize my contacts while logged into my Google account on my PC. If you move all of your contacts to a different group, then run a sync, you can actually lose all of them.

I quit syncing them altogether. I know how to back them up in a much more reliable way than Google offers.

The cure?
Do a backup to SD card from within contacts. You can export the whole list to a file.... and then copy that file to the PC so you have an additional archive.

It only take a few seconds and will save you a real headache.

This applies to anything you have on your phone. You back up programs, why not back up your data....especially something as important as your contact list?

Rafael was again correct! Sync was the cause for me and i did the dumb thing and called Verizon and also another dumb thing called doing a hard reset of the phone which started me all over except for the rooting process. Got all my issues sorted though. Everything seems to be working well now.:cool:

I have the same problem after deleting some more apps today. Contacts dissapeared...google won't sync the contacts. Gmail is working fine though. I'll figure it out and won't be without a solid backup. The SD card sounds great.

got an endless force close error loop after removing all... seemed to be from the "nuance" app... pulled battery, restarted, and so far no problems... thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom