• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root List of Apps to Safely Remove & Tips

I deleted the following without problems...

XT9 Text Input... (must have another keyboard installed to phone)
Search...
Browser... Replaced with Opera mini...(really fast) Dolphin is good too (much larger file though)
I installed the gingerbread keyboard and removed xt9 text input now when i try to mess with keyboad input setting my phone crashes

I deleted the following without problems...

XT9 Text Input... (must have another keyboard installed to phone)
Search...
Browser... Replaced with Opera mini...(really fast) Dolphin is good too (much larger file though)
I installed the gingerbread keyboard and removed xt9 text input now when i try to mess with keyboad input setting my phone crashes. any one know why

Yes I switched to gingerbread before deleting xt9. Everything works fine untill I long hold on a text field or look at my keyboard settings

Do not EVER remove the second "settings" app and reboot. EVER.

Hi Rafael, are you talking about "settings" or "settings storage"? Not that I really want to remove either anyway, but there's a reason for my question...

3G Mobile Hotspot is in Settings.apk now as I'm sure you know. Is it possible to get into classes.dex in that package? If so, would it be theoretically possible to remove 3G Mobile Hotspot (assuming it could be identified) and recompile classes.dex without it (not a dev myself, so recompiling may be completely wrong terminology)?

OR! Am I just a total dummy? :rolleyes:

I believe it is "Settings Storage" I was talking about.

I have no idea about stripping it apart and recompiling it. That is beyond my capability/knowledge.

This is my 1st Smartphone and although I have the money to probably buy a new one if something was to go wrong rooting, it would kill me a little inside lol. How easy is it to totally screw this phone up when rooting? As long as i go by the list on the first thread should i be OK? I'm a big time Noob at this. Dude's post calling the phone a paper weight strikes fear into my wallet.

just dont delete things that you arent sure what they do. you'll be fine. but the current update is unrootable atm

The cure?
Do a backup to SD card from within contacts. You can export the whole list to a file.... and then copy that file to the PC so you have an additional archive.

It only take a few seconds and will save you a real headache.

This applies to anything you have on your phone. You back up programs, why not back up your data....especially something as important as your contact list?

Should've REALLY payed attention to this tip.
Might be a good idea to add it to the rooting instructions as a "thing to do before rooting and messing with stuff". :(

I lost the Phone contacts. And they are gone from the verizon site as well. Not sure why. Given that, I'm not sure if contacting verizon and having them look at it would help at all. Might as well just start re-creating contacts.

I have lost my contacts using gmail account contacts sync. I am not alone in this.
This is why I suggested also doing a backup via export to sd card.

PicoTTS is another Text-To-Speech program. Forget what it works with. I left it. At least it is standard Android fare.

um i uninstalled pico tts and now navigation says
"For voice-guided navigation, you need to install text-to-speech support from the android market."

then when you hit ok or install it says

"The application Maps (process com.google.android.apps.mapps) has stopped unexpectedly. please try again.

does anyone now how i can solve this?

I am surprised noone has updated this list with the coming of a long awaited root exploit. I am sure many apps have changed since we started this thread.

I am surprised noone has updated this list with the coming of a long awaited root exploit. I am sure many apps have changed since we started this thread.

I removed nearly all the system apps that didn't have cryptic names. Best bet is to just freeze stuff, wait a week or so to see if there's any issues, then delete it. Plus if you keep a nandroid backup of the system from just after rooting with nothing removed you should be totally safe...

I removed nearly all the system apps didn't have cryptic names. Best bet is to just freeze stuff, wait a or so to see if there's any issues, then delete it. Plus if you keep a nandroid backup of the system from just after rooting with nothing removed you should be totally safe...

Ummmmm.....
Another member and i created these lists months ago. I have been rooted since before the m80 update. I am up to speed on freezing and deleting.
I am staying at m80.....was only commenting as it may help new root users.

Has anyone removed the push to talk application? I'm just wondering how deeply it is entrenched into the operating system. Id hate to find out it would be like deleting phone.apk or something bad like that.

If you have the custom recovery, you can create a nanroid and delete whatever you want. Then when you get a force close loop, adb reboot recovery, and restore backup.

I gave up my commando last June. I just rooted my friend's commando for him using the Tommy method but I'm not willing to replace his recovery.

Hello I picked up a rooted commando with 2.3.3 build # c771m070. It is already rooted, and factory reset prior to me getting it. Previous owner deleted the keyboard. I have been trying to install a keyboard via adb with no luck. Any hints or tricks?

Back
Top Bottom