• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Loving the EVO (Praise thread) :-)

Had mine since launch day .
Now I'm rooted .
Running mikZ rom.
I love my evo all over again .
I'll never need another phone as long as new roms exist.

bingo... and that is why .. my first concern before i get a new phone.. is how the dev community will accept it.

other phones maybe great.. out of the box.

but EVO has so more staying power.

Upvote 0
Thank you! Yep, I will probably need some help, it is all Greek to me right now as the only smart phone I have ever had is my Palm Pre. It is
nerve racking switching from a phone you really know to a phone that
I know nothing about! I just hope I like it...

If I can get the wifi teather up and running, I think I will be really happy! :)

Can you think of any "must have" accessories I should get so I have it
here when I get my phone next Friday?

Accessories really depend on what type of daily lifestyle you have. I do strongly recommend a cover case as it really does not feel like this phone can take a fall. I got a charger for the car too as well as a second, longer data cable that I use for the wall charger. My phone came with a 8GB memory card that I upgraded to a 16GB card too.

Other than that, my phone is everything that came with the phone.

WiFi tethering is as simple as downloading an app once your device is rooted.

Reactions: marybee
Upvote 0
Accessories really depend on what type of daily lifestyle you have. I do strongly recommend a cover case as it really does not feel like this phone can take a fall. I got a charger for the car too as well as a second, longer data cable that I use for the wall charger. My phone came with a 8GB memory card that I upgraded to a 16GB card too.

Other than that, my phone is everything that came with the phone.

WiFi tethering is as simple as downloading an app once your device is rooted.

I know...the Rooting is what scares me the most! :)

I was looking at some cases...not sure what one to get yet, I know I want a screen protector too. Any suggestions? I am not hard on my phone and honestly I am usually either just at home or the store with it. I work at home. :)

Upvote 0
I know...the Rooting is what scares me the most! :)

I was looking at some cases...not sure what one to get yet, I know I want a screen protector too. Any suggestions? I am not hard on my phone and honestly I am usually either just at home or the store with it. I work at home. :)

To be honest...the screen on the Evo is almost invincible.

I have had the phone for months, since August 2010, and have NEVER put a screen protector on it. The screen is just as nice as it was first day. It does get a bit fingerprinty if you know what I mean, where all you will see is fingerprints over the screen, but after a quick rub down with your shirt and a few huffs from the breath...it looks aokay ;)

That's my story for the screen though...others may have other stories. I do like my friend's Epic screen protector that he got at the mall...you know, one of those booths that offers to put a screen on it, simply because it won't slip out of your hands and it provides a bit more security from people who may look over shoulders haha not perfect...but better than nothing if you know what I mean?

As for a case...I got a simple rubber case that wraps around the phone. I have dropped my phone a few times on carpet, tile, concrete, and other places and not a single dent in the phone nor has the phone experience damage internally or whatever. I got mine from our local swap meet for less than $10. It was the very first accessory I bought for the phone as it just seemed so delicate in my hands.

Really...rooting sounds harder than it actually is. Honestly, here were my steps...

1. Visit unrevoked.com
2. Download software for phone
3. Plug in phone when commanded
4. Wait (I walked away, watched tv, played games, etc.)
5. Came back 3 and a half hours later and BAM!...it was rooted :) I swear...it was as easy as that with unrEVOked. (Your root should NOT take you 3 and half hours though. My phone was one of a kind with this long as it took. Other people talk about it only taking 30 minutes or more or less.)

If you need any help with rooting...simply visit the "Evo 4G - All Things Root" and create a new thread. People here are nice and friendly and will NOT get on your case for being a newbie to this or for asking any question you ask. I have asked all sorts of dumb and illegal questions and moderators have kindly warned me and the worse I've ever gotten from anyone was a simple sarcastic remark that made me laugh hahaha.

If you need any other help, feel free to inbox me too. I'm not a pro, but I may be able to help with basic rooting needs such as flashing ROMs, rooting, etc. YouTube and Google are also great places to go if you would rather root manually or with unrEVOked software. Also check out my threads created by me as well as threads I have commented too...lots of great information to be found in both.

Upvote 0
Really...rooting sounds harder than it actually is. Honestly, here were my steps...

1. Visit unrevoked.com
5. Came back 3 and a half hours later and BAM!...it was rooted :) I swear...it was as easy as that with unrEVOked. (Your root should NOT take you 3 and half hours though. My phone was one of a kind with this long as it took. Other people talk about it only taking 30 minutes or more or less.)

i did the same steps, watched it all happen ( dont reccomend it) and it took like 30 minutes exactly and that was with myns warm twopointwo and the radios installed right after the root completed

Upvote 0
i am in a different school of thought..

i like to do the rooting via command lines.. and see what each step does.
so I understand it more... i has come in handy to understand some of the other mods and what they want to be done

rooting for me.. if you can follow instructions to back a cake.. you can root.

I dont like clockwork and rom managers either...
when these fail you and you are stuck.. you have no idea what to do!

Upvote 0
To be honest...the screen on the Evo is almost invincible.

I have had the phone for months, since August 2010, and have NEVER put a screen protector on it. The screen is just as nice as it was first day. It does get a bit fingerprinty if you know what I mean, where all you will see is fingerprints over the screen, but after a quick rub down with your shirt and a few huffs from the breath...it looks aokay ;)

That's my story for the screen though...others may have other stories. I do like my friend's Epic screen protector that he got at the mall...you know, one of those booths that offers to put a screen on it, simply because it won't slip out of your hands and it provides a bit more security from people who may look over shoulders haha not perfect...but better than nothing if you know what I mean?

As for a case...I got a simple rubber case that wraps around the phone. I have dropped my phone a few times on carpet, tile, concrete, and other places and not a single dent in the phone nor has the phone experience damage internally or whatever. I got mine from our local swap meet for less than $10. It was the very first accessory I bought for the phone as it just seemed so delicate in my hands.

1. Visit unrevoked.com

If you need any help with rooting...simply visit the "Evo 4G - All Things Root" and create a new thread. People here are nice and friendly and will NOT get on your case for being a newbie to this or for asking any question you ask. I have asked all sorts of dumb and illegal questions and moderators have kindly warned me and the worse I've ever gotten from anyone was a simple sarcastic remark that made me laugh hahaha.

If you need any other help, feel free to inbox me too. I'm not a pro, but I may be able to help with basic rooting needs such as flashing ROMs, rooting, etc. YouTube and Google are also great places to go if you would rather root manually or with unrEVOked software. Also check out my threads created by me as well as threads I have commented too...lots of great information to be found in both.

Wow, seriously on the screen? Cool. I really don't like the skins for the
screen, have one on my Pre and somtimes they get bubbles etc.

Ok, so I am gonna check out unrEVOked, sounds pretty easy I guess. Do you think I should wait a few weeks to root after I get my phone to make sure the phone works OK and is not going to give me any problems before
I root seeing that it voids the warranty and all?

Oh, and where do I find the software once I get my phone rooted for the free
wireless tether app? Will it be in the app catalog?

Thanks everyone of all the help, I am starting to feel at home here!! :)

Upvote 0
Wow, seriously on the screen? Cool. I really don't like the skins for the
screen, have one on my Pre and somtimes they get bubbles etc.

Ok, so I am gonna check out unrEVOked, sounds pretty easy I guess. Do you think I should wait a few weeks to root after I get my phone to make sure the phone works OK and is not going to give me any problems before
I root seeing that it voids the warranty and all?

Oh, and where do I find the software once I get my phone rooted for the free
wireless tether app? Will it be in the app catalog?

Thanks everyone of all the help, I am starting to feel at home here!! :)

Not a problem, hope you enjoy your stay :)

It depends on some people. Some people don't mind having an unrooted phone forever or just for a while, others, like me, love the challenge of unlocking their phone to its full potential immediately. I think it might be a good idea to wait only because you are new to Android. I had an Android phone before the Evo so I was already pretty comfortable. And while you wait on rooting, maybe you can search through some of the threads, and read some of the stuff at unrEVOked's website. Also read up on what rooting does exactly. It's pretty long to explain here in a short summary, but if you'd like, I can describe it as long as necessary. But you do make a good point...but from what I've seen...most issues with the phones that come from the factories can be seen almost immediately when turned on for the first time. Things such as the phone rebooting constantly, or the screen doesn't turn on, or something like that that would actually prevent you from being able to even root even if you wanted to. But that wouldn't be a bad idea...just take some time getting adjusted to the phone for a while then root. We're always here when you're ready to though or have any questions :)

Your warranty is only really voided if you let Sprint know that you have a rooted phone. So if you tell someone over the phone at Sprint or you go into a store and show them or tell them that you have a rooted phone, that's when you'll have a voided warranty. Once rooted, if you don't like the root or need to have it checked out, you can unroot it about as easy as it was to root. Truthfully, I have never unrooted my phone so I am speaking on what others told me about unrooting.

The wifi tether will be in the "app catalog" lol It'll be called "Market" when you get your phone. You simply will go into "Market", and search for "wifi tether" and there will probably be about 3-4 different wifi tethering apps. The first one will probably be a green wifi signal, and will just say "Wifi Tether"...that is the most basic tethering app that rooted Android users will use. I use one called "Barnacle" and it's the same stuff...just different name ahah.

Ah, okay, well that will be good for you :) Seeing as you hardly leave the house except for the store, you probably won't even need the case. Once you get the phone and hold it, you'll know if you want a case or not and if you want a screen protector. My friend's screen on his Epic was done very nicely with no bubbles. They did it at the booth in the mall for him and all he did was pay them...can't remember the price though.

But anyway, yeah. Hope I've helped in some way. :)

Upvote 0
But anyway, yeah. Hope I've helped in some way. :)

You my friend have been a HUGE help! Now I only have to wait 9 more days to get the darn phone!

I think I am going to still get one of the Seidio Innocase Active cases so I can have a prettier color then black :) and basically in-case I am a bit
on the clumsy side one day and drop my phone. I do some camping in the summer and it does help to have some protection.

I am not going to get a car charger right now because I think I can use the charger I have that I am using for my Palm Pre. I read that basically the chargers are the same for both phones... I hope that is right!

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
You my friend have been a HUGE help! Now I only have to wait 9 more days to get the darn phone!

I think I am going to still get one of the Seidio Innocase Active cases so I can have a prettier color then black :) and basically in-case I am a bit
on the clumsy side one day and drop my phone. I do some camping in the summer and it does help to have some protection.

I am not going to get a car charger right now because I think I can use the charger I have that I am using for my Palm Pre. I read that basically the chargers are the same for both phones... I hope that is right!

lol!!!! OOPS! I totally forgot that you are right...my friends have the Palm Pixi and Pre for Sprint and my charger works fine for their phones so yeah, you are good to go in that area ;)

Maybe search around on Amazon too. I found some really great looking accessories from there. I got a very good pack from there with all sorts of things like a screen protector, car charger, wall charger, data cable, even a suction thing for the car so I could use it as a GPS!!...on Sprint's website, that alone would've cost me over $40...I paid less than $20 for the whole package :D lol

Haha well enjoy the wait! It shouldn't be too long. I got my Evo in less than 3 days.

Upvote 0
Wooo-Hoooo! I could not wait! I called Sprint CS and told them the volume button is not working on my Pre and when could I get an upgrade? Well, my upgrade
is not till March 18th (next Friday) and so they are giving me an upgrade early and I may have my new EVO in white as early as tomorrow!!! (maybe Friday latest). The BEST part is that I only have to pay $124.99 instead of the $199 I would have paid at the Sprint store next week AND they are just adding it on to my monthly bill!

I am so happy and excited right now....I have got to go shopping for a new case and stuff!

So look out, I will be rooting very soon! :)

Upvote 0
Finally got the EVO.
I literally took my Moment and smashed it into a hundred pieces as soon as I got the EVO....LOL
Went to Best Buy Mobile for my upgrade yesterday......and got a killer deal....
Got the new black EVO, Zagg screen protector, PT Platinum case and holster and a car charger for $99.
The hottest girl was working there and discounted the phone from $199 to $99 and threw in all the extras for free.
I am a happy man.....

Upvote 0
I've had my Evo for about 6 months and I SWEAR, I love it more, everyday! Of course it took me buying the extended batt early on but once batt life wasn't an issue....ownership became pure bliss. Not rooted but highly customized and did not do the 3.70 bloatware update (thanks to this forum;))!!!

Wife has the iPhone 4 and IMHO the UI is childish compared to my v2.2
Just felt the unexplainable need to profess my love for this phone and the OS!

Peace out!
-D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones