• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

device not found after typing su
I put super su on the phone but still doesn't find the device.
rebooted phone and tried again and didn't work.

I know I'm missing something stupid but I've been reading for almost all of my free time for the last 36 hours and can't figure it out.

system/bin/sh: su not found

the command window needs to point from where you have adb setup.

so did you type "adb shell" and hit enter? then type "su" and enter again?

what do you mean you put su on the phone? did you flash it? or install it from the play store? it needs to be flashed.

Yeah I typed it in 10 ways from sunday. I haven't had any luck flashing anything yet without root or TWRP working. I'm assuming there is a file that I can flash via fastboot? Thanks again for the time, I know this is exactly how you want to spend your Saturday night.

Yeah I typed it in 10 ways from sunday. I haven't had any luck flashing anything yet without root or TWRP working. I'm assuming there is a file that I can flash via fastboot? Thanks again for the time, I know this is exactly how you want to spend your Saturday night.

well to be honest......i do not have much going tonight for once:rolleyes:, so it is all good;)

if you go to chapter 4 there should be instructions on how to flash the su file.

That's the biggest problem, I can't get a recovery to stick. TWRP either from Goo Manager or from installing via fastboot isn't working. Whenever I go to use recovery the pic of a phone with a caution triangle pops up.

2.3.1 it says something about the it being outdated for the core, I think I will have to factory reset and start over. I unfortunately have to go run a couple of errands for the wife so I won't be on here for the next half hour to 45 minutes. I truly appreciate the effort and will try more when I return. Other wise I will probably be bothering you again in the next few days. I just can't stand not being able to do what I want with this device and really not used to it since normally I root and take care of things within the first 6 months of release. Thanks again.

2.3.1 it says something about the it being outdated for the core, I think I will have to factory reset and start over. I unfortunately have to go run a couple of errands for the wife so I won't be on here for the next half hour to 45 minutes. I truly appreciate the effort and will try more when I return. Other wise I will probably be bothering you again in the next few days. I just can't stand not being able to do what I want with this device and really not used to it since normally I root and take care of things within the first 6 months of release. Thanks again.

go to chapter 3.....it has the latest(i think) twrp recovery.....give that one a go.

i'm here so just post here if you run into any issues.

do I need to rename the file as PCIjmg file, or whatever that code is, sorry trying to get the baby to bed. I followed the directions with that file from chapter three and it won't do anything.

do I need to rename the file as PCIjmg file, or whatever that code is, sorry trying to get the baby to bed. I followed the directions with that file from chapter three and it won't do anything.

no follow this from the guide:

1.go to openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-jewel.img to download the file.
2.move the file into the android folder you created earlier when you unlocked your bootloader.
3.on your phone you should be in the bootloader menu screen, select the fastboot option. if you are not in the bootloader menu then power off the phone and then press and hold power+vol down.
4.on your computer press and hold shift while right clicking the android folder.
5.select open command window here option (windows 7)
6.enter command:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.4.1.0-jewel.img

Just when I was getting ready to be really angry, I realized that I had turned my security back on when I gave up last night. Shut off security, ran it and got it done. Thanks for all the help ocnbrze. I really appreciate it. Now I just have to figure out what rom I want to run....

Received a replacement LTE this morning. To my credit, I lasted an entire three hours before my hands started shaking and I realized I couldn't possibly run stock [4.1?!]. I was concerned I couldn't root, because the nice man at the store put in the extra effort to update my firmware for me! [what a nice guy] Thank Crom for rumrunner!

With Hboot 2.09 and Software 3.17.651.4, I went over to HTCDev to unlock. Flashed TWRP. Flashed SuperSU. Slid over to the Rumrunner page...did the dance [procedure failed on me twice; third time was charm]. Installed a custom Hboot to eliminate traces of dubious activity. Done.

From out-of-the-box to S-OFF in approximately two hours, with periodic distractions. This was all performed on a 64-bit Windows machine and a few cups of coffee.

Trust the Guide. Excellent work, dudes!

im having a hard time finding a guide/tutorial with links and files that actually work. ive done tons of reading so i kinda know what most things mean,

help out a newibe.

Could you boot your phone to Hboot and post up the information you see on the screen?

Once we have that info we'll be able to help you get sorted out. :)

Could you boot your phone to Hboot and post up the information you see on the screen?

Once we have that info we'll be able to help you get sorted out. :)

Jewel Oct ship s-on rl
Hboot: 2.09.0000
Radio: 1.13.11.0830
SpenDS-31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012. 15:46:20

Jewel Oct ship s-on rl
Hboot: 2.09.0000
Radio: 1.13.11.0830
SpenDS-31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012. 15:46:20

Ok, you need to use Rumrunner to get S-off.

Go here and read this post by EarlyMon: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-2013-05-21-a.html#post5389081

Download the mini-sdk from that post and follow his instructions to install.

Open the Rooting for Dummies guide here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/605567-ltevo-rooting-dummies-complete-guide.html

Go to Chapter2, then select HTCdev. Follow the instructions to unlock your bootloader.

Once your bootloader is unlocked, go to the section in the guide for Rumrunner. Read what is in there, then go to the linked thread over at XDA, read everything! Follow the instructions as shown in their thread.

Once you've achieved S-off all you need to do is load up TWRP recovery. Go to chapter 3 in the Rooting for Dummies guide and follow the instructions to install recovery.

I know it looks like a lot, but if you follow all of the directions it really isn't all that bad. Remember we're here if you get stuck. :)

PS: Almost forgot...Welcome to the forums!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom