• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Man, this is a big phone

kishin14

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Is no one else concerned by the size of this phone? At first, I thought that most of the extra screen size (versus 4.3 inch screens) would be absorbed by the bezel and that it would be not much bigger than my old phone, the droid x. However, based on its dimensions, this phone is noticeably bigger. At 5.35x2.67x0.35 inches, its nearly a third of an inch longer and 2.5mm wider.

For comparison, I went to a T-Mobile store to check out the size of their version of the GSII, which is about the same size width-wise but a little shorter. I went in with an open mind, but after holding in my hand for a few minutes, I found it to me too big for my tastes. With the Nexus being even bigger, the size might just be a deal breaker for me.

It seems that new phones are getting bigger and bigger. Even the Droid Razr, which has a smaller 4.3 inch screen is beastly. It's just as wide and actually taller than the 4.5 inch T-Mobile GSII.

I really want this phone, but even I have my limits when it comes to phone size. I guess I need to see it in person to judge whether I can get used to the size. My hope is that the phone's curvy corners and thin bezel will make it "look" smaller than it really is.

I actually checked out the SSGII also while holding my Thunderbolt with a seidio innocase and actually it felt really good in my hand actually more comfortable then my Thunderbolt but that's with a case on it. I'll have to see how the Nexus is with a decent case on it but I don't think it will be too bad it's not much wider then my THunderbolt and I don't mind length

the curve should make it even more comfortable as I had a Fascinate for a short time and compared to the Nexus S with the same size screen the Nexus S was far more comfortable to hold

Upvote 0
It's HUGE. I've been asking people about it for weeks but nobody really seems to be too bothered by it. I'm coming from an OG Droid, so any new Android phone is gonna seem huge to me, but one of the big reasons I'm going with the Droid RAZR is because it's shorter and thinner.

Yes Razr is quite thinner but it's shorter than Nexus only by 5mm. Also Razr is thicker on top camera hump like extra 4~5mm. I personally think 7.1mm has gone too far in thinness as I prefer the phone to have some thickness to hold onto rather than paper thin. I wonder if heat dissipation won't be issue for Razr as SoC, radio chips are in such super tight space.

Upvote 0
It is a big phone indeed. Tough for one handed manipulation and texting for most yes. For some the size will be a dealbreaker. For some the size will take some getting used to. I'm in that camp, but welcome it. With it's screen and rez for browsing/video/map/etc... capabilities, I'm willing to forgo the one handed manip and pocketable potential issues.

Upvote 0
Hold an SGS2 in your hand -- it's relatively close, but the SGN is thinner.

I think it'll be perfectly fine in your hand and you'll get used to it.

depends on what SGS2 you're comparing it to. my international SGS2 is 8.49mm, which is thinner than the GNex. US customers got screwed hard with the US variants once again. no surprise there.

regardless, i put a case on my SGS2 for two reasons - 1) protection and 2) to make it a tad thicker. 8.49 was just too thin for me. GNex will come with a little bit more heft to it, both weight and dimensions, so i'll likely rock it naked with a screen protector. should feel amazing in the hand.

Upvote 0
It is a big phone indeed. Tough for one handed manipulation and texting for most yes. For some the size will be a dealbreaker. For some the size will take some getting used to. I'm in that camp, but welcome it. With it's screen and rez for browsing/video/map/etc... capabilities, I'm willing to forgo the one handed manip and pocketable potential issues.

I suppose, if you look at the nexus as less of a phone and more of a mini computer that also makes calls, then the size doesn't seem all that big. Full 720p web browsing and video watching in the palm of your hand is pretty alluring. But I'm the kind of guy that needs to have his phone on him at all times. I never had a problem with carrying the droid x, but it was a pretty snug fit in some of my pants pockets. I'd imagine that would be worse with the nexus.

Upvote 0
You know when the Evo was announced I thought that phone was going to be too big. I went with the Incredible for Verizon and my father stuck with Sprint and got the Evo. I think that phone is just fine now. I think the Gnex will be big to but after using it for a day I will probably love the size. Besides I have only used an hour of minutes this month so far to date over 600 text messages and coming close to the 2 gig mark for data. So a larger screen should fit my needs better

Upvote 0
Well I went into store today and just picked up a SGS1 and it felt like something that would break in my hand. Felt the HTC Desire HD which is smaller than the Nexus (no SGS2 on Telus till Thursday this week) and it felt big in my hand. I really like this phone but I feel its just gonna be too big for me to always carry around comfortably.

Upvote 0
When the larger screen phones started coming out, I kept looking at my Droid and thinking 4" is big enough. But then I started playing with them more and more and really loved the bigger screen. Also, like someone else posted, my phone is more of a data and multimedia consumption device than a phone, so the extra bulk is worth it for the screen real estate. The GNex will be my first official big screen phone and I'm sure despite the size I'll appreciate the screen and just get used to the size.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0
Maybe this is what you're looking for.

zoolander-phone.jpg

Upvote 0
It's not going to make a damn bit of difference, and you won't even notice it.

Just like those of us who upgraded from say, an NV2 to a Droid X. Is it bigger? Sure. So freakin what? It will fit in your hand and your pocket just the same.

Making a big deal out of nothing IMO.

You may not notice it. Good for you. But size matters to me. And I'm sure it matters to others as well. Everyone has their limit. And this phone may be just be on the wrong side of mine. I had a droid x too and while I got used to the size, I never lost sight of the fact that it was a big phone, especially compared to what was out at the time it launched.

Upvote 0
You may not notice it. Good for you. But size matters to me. And I'm sure it matters to others as well. Everyone has their limit. And this phone may be just be on the wrong side of mine. I had a droid x too and while I got used to the size, I never lost sight of the fact that it was a big phone, especially compared to what was out at the time it launched.

That's why the nexus line isn't for everyone. It is android you have choice nobody is forcing you to buy it.

Upvote 0

Then your option is limited to mid range phones like Dinc2, Breakout, Stratosphere. Now some of them come with 4G LTE too. But you won't see dual core beasts with gigantic RAM/memory in 4" or smaller phones any more.

Reactions: redraider1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones