• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Media files not showing up

I am honestly beginning to think that something happened during the whole rooting process because I can't even get images that I put on the sdcard & sdcard2 to show up for selecting wallpaper. I am thinking I may need to re-root and start from scratch.

I am honestly beginning to think that something happened during the whole rooting process because I can't even get images that I put on the sdcard & sdcard2 to show up for selecting wallpaper. I am thinking I may need to re-root and start from scratch.

You don't need to re-root.

Root is just the combo of a binary for os and an apk.

Those came baked into the rom, so re-rooting is just a do-nothing.

If you think you got a bad install (it happens) re-install Viper4G, choose first to not wipe on install.

If trouble persists, install with wiping.

You don't need to re-root.

Root is just the combo of a binary for os and an apk.

Those came baked into the rom, so re-rooting is just a do-nothing.

If you think you got a bad install (it happens) re-install Viper4G, choose first to not wipe on install.

If trouble persists, install with wiping.

I meant to say un-root and re-root from the beginning since I have had this issue with other ROMs I tried before Viper. As for the ROM I have re-installed it like 7 or 8 times now using various different options and both wiping and not wiping...but still the issues persist.

I meant to say un-root and re-root from the beginning since I have had this issue with other ROMs I tried before Viper. As for the ROM I have re-installed it like 7 or 8 times now using various different options and both wiping and not wiping...but still the issues persist.

no need for that. it will not change anything. where are you putting the images on the card? what folder?

does the image show up in your gallery?

Nope...it's just like the Ringtones, Notifications & Alarms. It's almost like the phone itself just cant find any types of media files. I can find and open all of those files through ES File Explorer, so I know they are all there and in multiple locations (Hard drive: system/media/audio, Internal SD card: sdcard & External SD card: sdcard2) that I have copied them to. I am getting worn out with this LTE...I kind of wish I had my old EVO back.

Ok.

Go to app manager, Media Storage, clear data.

Boot into recovery, clear cache and Dalvik.

Reboot, give it time, maybe 15 minutes, depending.

It's looking like you can use the known Android paths, or just /sdcard/Ringtones etc etc, as you'll find them.

Make sure that the audio files have recognized types, such as .mp3 at the end of the name.

You did that and still no results??

i wonder if it is your sd card that is the root of your problem?

sdcard or sdcard2? My sdcard2 is a 32gb card formatted to FAT32 and the phone does recognized it fine...but it just wont recognize the those files on it.

sdcard or sdcard2? My sdcard2 is a 32gb card formatted to FAT32 and the phone does recognized it fine...but it just wont recognize the those files on it.

so when you use a file manager, you do not see the files at all? but when hooked up to the pc you can see it? just trying to get a better picture on what is going on.

so when you use a file manager, you do not see the files at all? but when hooked up to the pc you can see it? just trying to get a better picture on what is going on.

No I can see them with ES File Explorer and hooked up USB to PC.

Might be time for a card reformat.

Have you formatted the card and internal memory since rooting?

When you ask "card", you mean sdcard2 and "internal memory" you mean sdcard? I have formatted sdcard2, but I am not sure if I have formatted sdcard nor am I sure on exactly how to safely do that.

Are they in a sub folder of a folder whose name starts with a period? A folder whose name starts with a period doesn't show up in the Gallery. Or if the file name starts with a period. That's how Hide It Pro hides your stuff.

When you ask "card", you mean sdcard2 and "internal memory" you mean sdcard? I have formatted sdcard2, but I am not sure if I have formatted sdcard nor am I sure on exactly how to safely do that.

Sorry for the late response, work got a hold of me today. :mad::p

Both of these can be wiped from the: Settings / Storage / "Phone Storage" and "Storage Card" menu's

Both cases it's "Erase Phone Storage / Storage Card"

Make sure you back up your info first!! ;)

After that, I'd boot to recovery, full wipe everything, then try one more reload of the rom. Then restore the files and see if it fixes it. :)

Back
Top Bottom