• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS/CDMA] [HOWTO][ROOT]Automatic Root for SGSIII

I've been out of the rooting scene ever since jellybean came out. I saw the link N4zty posted:

CWM MetroPCS SGS3 - PlayfulDroidz Wiki

Read it about 3 times to get the gist of it first before screwing around but this confused me a bit:

"Do not boot into Samsung's ROM without first applying our Root .zip. Samsung's OTA updates install /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p, which cause Samsung's ROM to replace the recovery image you had just flashed with the stock recovery. Our Root .zip removes these files, thus preserving your custom recovery. Follow the directions below to boot directly into CWM recovery."

Is the Root.zip the Root+Busybox rar? Or is there a seperate file? Also step 6 threw me off a bit:

6. Click on PDA, select the CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v*.tar.md5 file.

Is that the file labeled CWM Recovery? And this method works with jellybean correct?

Thanks.

EDIT: I never could wait, I went with my gut and I have root with that method. Now how do I get TWRP and get rid of Clock? or can they work simultaneously?

I've been out of the rooting scene ever since jellybean came out. I saw the link N4zty posted:

CWM MetroPCS SGS3 - PlayfulDroidz Wiki

Read it about 3 times to get the gist of it first before screwing around but this confused me a bit:

"Do not boot into Samsung's ROM without first applying our Root .zip. Samsung's OTA updates install /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-boot.p, which cause Samsung's ROM to replace the recovery image you had just flashed with the stock recovery. Our Root .zip removes these files, thus preserving your custom recovery. Follow the directions below to boot directly into CWM recovery."

Is the Root.zip the Root+Busybox rar? Or is there a seperate file? Also step 6 threw me off a bit:

6. Click on PDA, select the CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v*.tar.md5 file.

Is that the file labeled CWM Recovery? And this method works with jellybean correct?

Thanks.

EDIT: I never could wait, I went with my gut and I have root with that method. Now how do I get TWRP and get rid of Clock? or can they work simultaneously?

Install goomanager from the playstore. Open it and hit your menu key to install open recovery script.

SUCCESS! I used the CWM method and have 0 issues so far. I'm a grown man but I feel like a giddy school kid right now. Thank you so much to everyone who had something to do with creating this method and those who passed it along. Now its time for the real fun to start!

the solution is easier than you think let me post u the link.

Edit:

the method here is fist flashing clockwork mod to your phone in order to flash root and yes u can later switch to twrp or a newer cwm if u choose later only if ur rooted first.

so heres the basic break down so u can easily understand what ur going to be doing.

first use odin to flash clock work mod to your phone once you have that on your phone download that SuperSU-v0.96+.zip and place it in your sd card then boot into recovery and flash that zip and bam your instantly rooted.

Follow this thread its the easiest way to root any us variant of the gs3. regardless of what build of android its using.

http://androidforums.com/official-u...636808-sgs3-r530m-clockworkmod-6-0-1-5-a.html

@N4zty or anyone else that can answer, first off Im BACK , and so glad to be. I just want to verify something since Ive been gone awhile. I have a brand new Metro S3 with stock ICS, no root, no recovery. I just want to make sure Im doing this right before I dive back into root. With the method you linked above and Shabbys thread can I OTA to 4.1.2, then root with the CWM that gets flashed through Odin, then before rebooting into rom go to CWM, flash the SuperSU-v0.96+.zip, then reboot to have rooted 4.1.2? Thanks

@N4zty or anyone else that can answer, first off Im BACK , and so glad to be. I just want to verify something since Ive been gone awhile. I have a brand new Metro S3 with stock ICS, no root, no recovery. I just want to make sure Im doing this right before I dive back into root. With the method you linked above and Shabbys thread can I OTA to 4.1.2, then root with the CWM that gets flashed through Odin, then before rebooting into rom go to CWM, flash the SuperSU-v0.96+.zip, then reboot to have rooted 4.1.2? Thanks

I used this method after getting 4.1.2 then used GooManager to install TWRP.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=694440

Solved: Rooting 4.1.2 Jellybean without installing CWM or TWRP, or a custom/modded ROM

the solution is easier than you think let me post u the link.

Edit:

the method here is fist flashing clockwork mod to your phone in order to flash root and yes u can later switch to twrp or a newer cwm if u choose later only if ur rooted first.

so heres the basic break down so u can easily understand what ur going to be doing.

first use odin to flash clock work mod to your phone once you have that on your phone download that SuperSU-v0.96+.zip and place it in your sd card then boot into recovery and flash that zip and bam your instantly rooted.

Follow this thread its the easiest way to root any us variant of the gs3. regardless of what build of android its using.

http://androidforums.com/official-u...636808-sgs3-r530m-clockworkmod-6-0-1-5-a.html

people should keep lookout on that thread for this weekend. gunna completely revamp it all ;)

http://androidforums.com/official-u...8-sgs3-r530m-oudhs-recovery-1-0-3-3-root.html

:)

i put a lot of time and effort into forking CWM for our team to have their own recovery, its far from done but it is a great step in the right direction. the tar is for new people, cwm flashable is for everyuone who has recovery already. lemme know any bugs etc. make sure to read the bootom instructions when you boot into recovery :)

Cool. Glad to see you finally changed the title man. Now the newbies won't have to keep making new threads asking for 4.1.2 root!

Cool. Glad to see you finally changed the title man. Now the newbies won't have to keep making new threads asking for 4.1.2 root!

taht wont stop them one bit

you could have a banner in the all things root that said hey this will work forever use this no matter what and they would still make threads :P

All I get is permission failed and unable to Install fail to copy files. I don't know what to do I have usb debugging on, unknown sources checked. I don't know what to do. I have MB2. It was rooted but I've unrooted but I can't root it back because of this and I really need my root. PLZZZZZ HELP
PHP:

downside of using one click scripts, is that you dont really understand the process happening behind it all. this has been patched for a while, i suggest using odin to flash recovery and then flashing a superuser zip. its how you can root any firmware on this device :)

Should I take this down? It was buried in the pages, but keeps resurfacing.
I'd left it for archival purposes...

downside of using one click scripts, is that you dont really understand the process happening behind it all. this has been patched for a while, i suggest using odin to flash recovery and then flashing a superuser zip. its how you can root any firmware on this device :)

I've Odin flash cwm 6.0.1.5 and Tried recovery flashing superSu .96+zip and superSu 1.25+zip. They say everything goes well in the recovery installation, all files install but when I pull the app grid SuperSu is nowhere to be found and I would guess no root. So what do I do did I do something wrong? Because I (Odin flashed recovery>disconnected usb >battery pull> get it recovery, flash zip>then restart system). Plzz help

Hey guys I got a real big problem, how can I start this...
Ok about a month ago my usb port broke on me but I wasn't woried about losing root access if I ever decided to go back to stock cuz I had mobile odin pro I could flash this and that with eas,
Well I decided to flash the update.zip "mf2" while injecting Su and odin, some of the mobile odin pro options, and now I lost root access. Its weird cuz i got xbin su no busybox
Rootcheker pro say

"SuperSu applucation version 1.65 installed

Standard location
Check command Is -I /system/bin/su
Results system/bin/su no such file or directory
Analysis file/system/bin/su does not exist

Standard location
Check command Is -I/system/xbin/su
Results -rwxr-xr-x root shell 96260 1970-01-01
04:07 su
Analysis setuid attributes not present But root user ownership is present Root access is not correctly configured for this file

Alternative location
Check command Is -I system/sbin/su: permission denied
Analysis file system permission ristricted and denied access

Alternative location
Check command Is -I/system/xbin/sudo
Results Is -I/system/xbin/sudo: no such file or directory
Analysts File /system/xbin/sudo does not exist

Root user Id status
SU binary not found or operating properly

System Environment Path
/sbin/vendor/bin /system/sbin/system/bin /system/xbin

ADB Shell default user
default.prop is configured as: shell (not root)
user -ro.secure=1"

The fishy part is system/xbin/sudo
Any ways is there any hope.
Like I said before usb port is completely out it is broken beyond repair
Don't ask why.

I wanted to do by wireless adb with the Sdk platform tool but couldn't connect I guess you got too to be rooted.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I allways come to guy for help, thanx.

wow*i*just*recently*came*across*this*bookmark*and*i*still*havent*flashed*my*damn*phone i guess its because i kept updating it.. anyone care to help??

wow*i*just*recently*came*across*this*bookmark*and*i*still*havent*flashed*my*damn*phone i guess its because i kept updating it.. anyone care to help??
Go to this thread for the latest root and recovery and follow those directions. There's also a video tutorial. Once you have recovery installed, do a backup in recovery.
http://androidforums.com/official-u...-oudhs-recovery-1-0-3-3-root.html#post5113666

Before you flash any ROMs, MODs, or kernels... Go to this next thread and do a nvbackup. After you've completed these steps you can start flashing all the goodies.
http://androidforums.com/metropcs-c...very-important-backup-nv-before-flashing.html

If you need help on anything just ask in the thread for what you need help with.

Good luck ;)

Back
Top Bottom