• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MotoTorch LED flashlight app not working...

I actually just always use the FLASH_MODE_TORCH method on Android 2.2. My original plan was to ask the user which mode to use if they were running SDK_INT > 8 and android.os.Build.ID was not "FRFxx", but I haven't done that yet. I haven't played with the custom roms too much, but what do their android.os.Build settings look like?

Droid 2.2 is different than Nexus 2.2. The Droid wants a surface object and the Nexus doesn't care.

Thanks. That's probably my issue. I don't use the surface object in 2.2 at all.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I'm not sure what to do with a ".gz" file..? I saw that Titanium uses them so I tried dropping it in my Titanium backups folder and it's not showing up in Titanium anywhere :(. I also tried re-naming it to just ".apk" and got a parsing error upon trying to install. Would you mind letting me know what to do with this file?

Thanks!
Im not sure where the .gz came from. I uploaded the raw APK file to mediafire, and mediafire added it in there:(

Upvote 0
Currently, both Tesla and MotoTorch cause my camera to start making it's little clicks and whirrs, as if I am about to snap a pic (the same noises, in fact, as when I run barcode scanner, so if you want to know exactly how it sounds, run Barcode Scanner).

However, Tesla works, MotoTorch does not.

I favor MotoTorch for the simple reason that, for the longest time, it was really the only one around to do it's job and do it right.

Now, I have an alternative - but I like sticking to working products. Ryan, if you get it working, great, but if not, then that is understandable.

Upvote 0
but I think I'm going to switch to Tesla, It is like twice as bright, It looks to use it to the full brightness. I don't know if that's bad or not, I assume it's not.

Currently, both Tesla and MotoTorch cause my camera to start making it's little clicks and whirrs, as if I am about to snap a pic

For a (technical) information dump on how this is working check my post here:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/101037-what-mototorch.html#post941447

The brightness is the same as available in the Camera/Camcorder flash always on mode so I would be surprised if it could harm anything as Motorola is allowing it standard/public APIs. Though a brighter light will use more battery than a dimmer one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones