• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Neat ROM

The one area that Jelly Bean is not competing with ICS is battery life. This is not a NEAT ROM problem though.

The only root kernel, at present, for JB, stock based ROM's, is the PhilZ kernel, currently v3.65, which is itself stock. It lacks any of the finesse and tweaks of , say, Siyah and Dorimanx I'm afraid.

Consequently, my battery life is, on average, less than half that which I experienced on NEAT LPY, here.

Even with all the bloatware removed and the use of the very handy Power Saving feature in JB, which reduces your CPU to 200 -> 800MHz, and more draconian battery saving than I ever enacted on ICS, I cannot make it through the day without re-charging. :(

Having said that, there is no way that I would want to go back to ICS after Jelly Bean. :)

Hey Ironass, this is a question not related to the rom.

Is it safe to freeze/uninstall stock Music Player?
Why do some widget change its size without me re-sizing it? Some widget is 4x1 by nature but occupies 4x2 of the homescreen. Any explanation about this?

I'm finding it almost on a par with ics actually butty.
Have you frozen Samsung push and cloud services?

Yeah! Both of those. In fact I've got more frozen things than an Inuit!

Hey Ironass, this is a question not related to the rom.

Is it safe to freeze/uninstall stock Music Player?
Why do some widget change its size without me re-sizing it? Some widget is 4x1 by nature but occupies 4x2 of the homescreen. Any explanation about this?

Yes, it is safe to freeze stock Music. I have because I prefer PowerAmp.

As for the re-sizing of widgets, I take it you are using the TouchWiz launcher, there is an option to resize the widgets on your Home screen as described in the Help menu.

15rze2s.png

Managed to get 12-13hrs of battery life.
Battery Life is much better with XXLSJ + PhilZ Kernel compared to my experience with XWLPY + Siyah 4.1.5(Exact 12hrs with 2% remaining).

Yous screenshot shows a game in between. So it might be little unfair to judge the juice used by the JB. Post screenshots of your total screen time, phone time and one showing your phone condition (wifi on/off, awake time, gps on/off) to be fair.
I`ll post mine once I get home, but for me until now is clear we need a different kernel, battery gets drained veeeeery fast compared with LPY+Dormanx 5.89.

Not getting message notification sounds,have reinstalled Neatrom lite again and still no sound when a message arrives, i use chompsms as default and never had problems before.any ideas anyone?

Ironass, even me with my limited experience am getting tolerable battery life on Neatrom JB :) . I think you must be a pretty heavy user. I have had no problems getting through the day without charging. I too am waiting for Siyah though, but as I have already posted Gokhanmoral's reply to my query on xda, I am not holding my breath. :( Hopefully it will come soon though.....

My battery life is horrendous once I turn the wifi on. I have turned the wifi on and left my phone alone for most of the day, and it was almost dead after about 9 hours. Unfortunately I didn't take a screenshot to post, but that is much worse than on ICS or GB for that matter.

That being said, if I don't have the wifi on, battery life seems pretty decent, but a little more time on JB will tell for sure!

Sale, I may be shot at or even bombed for asking this question here. I am therefore huddled in my bunker as I ask you (and ironass and hawker and syd and all my chums here):- Sale, I noticed that you use Ubuntu. Would you all please let me know if Ubuntu is better than Windows???? Now you guys can shoot... Ducking and dodging bullets and outrunning explosions :D

As I said earlier, here are the screenshots of the first day on JB. Not bad, not bad at all (also Data line was on for about 4 hours). Still a tweaked kernel will increase by few hours this performances.
Oh well..... I`ll wait for the kernel, cause for sure I`m not going back to ICS from this JB Sale release; simply amazing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-20.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-26.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-34.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-55-39.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-56-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-11-25-19-56-10.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 61
Sale, I may be shot at or even bombed for asking this question here. I am therefore huddled in my bunker as I ask you (and ironass and hawker and syd and all my chums here):- Sale, I noticed that you use Ubuntu. Would you all please let me know if Ubuntu is better than Windows???? Now you guys can shoot... Ducking and dodging bullets and outrunning explosions :D
haha. the answer is

YES​

As I said earlier, here are the screenshots of the first day on JB. Not bad, not bad at all (also Data line was on for about 4 hours). Still a tweaked kernel will increase by few hours this performances.
Oh well..... I`ll wait for the kernel, cause for sure I`m not going back to ICS from this JB Sale release; simply amazing.
are you using kaspersky???

Got strange zoom issues when reading app/internet pages. Page keeps zooming in as I scroll up or down, anyone else have this?

Baterry life is way better comparing to shiya or dorimanx with ics. And now blue mod... I'm even happier :D

Got strange zoom issues when reading app/internet pages. Page keeps zooming in as I scroll up or down, anyone else have this?

I Use Dolphin Browser Most Of The Time And It Appears That It Is Possible To Slide Up And Down At The Edge Of The Screen To Zoom In And Out, I Wonder If Its A Jelly Bean Feature!

I Use Dolphin Browser Most Of The Time And It Appears That It Is Possible To Slide Up And Down At The Edge Of The Screen To Zoom In And Out, I Wonder If Its A Jelly Bean Feature!

Yeah, now I try to do it it only zooms if scrolling either edge. Quite a cool thing actually!

Ok, I must amend my previous statement that battery life is as good as ICS. After some use, I have noticed that battery drain is rather high. In the default battery stats, I have noticed things like "Media", "Touchwiz Launcher", Android Os, Android System, Android Core Apps, Device Idle all taking up battery. This is totally unexpected. This is probably a problem with the kernel itself because the Rom as I have previously mentioned, is flawless. But since I have to travel (A LOT) everyday to and from work, I might switch to Neatrom LPY until SIyah kernel comes out for JB. Is anyone else switching back to Neatrom ICS ?? :(

Did you tried newer version of PhilZ kernel? Latest one is 3.65. I really can`t complain on battery life. It`s far better than on ICS... :)

Thanks Syd, but honestly, I am not that impressed with Philz kernel. Having used Dorimanx for so long, the differences are glaringly obvious. :(

Back
Top Bottom