• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No s3 for metro...?? Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I probably cave in and get a GS3 this will be the first thing I'll get.

Hyperion Samsung Galaxy SIII 4200mAh Extended Battery + White Back Cover * NOW WITH NFC *

41w2W6RDrxL._SS400_.jpg

Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy SIII 4200mAh Extended Battery + White Back Cover (Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S III GT-i9300, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i747, Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung i535, T-mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 Samsung T999,

Just bought my white otterbox case and 10 screen protectors. Trying to stock up so that as soon as I get the phone i dont have to go one second without a case and a screen protector.

Just bought my white otterbox case and 10 screen protectors. Trying to stock up so that as soon as I get the phone i dont have to go one second without a case and a screen protector.

Do you think the gorilla glass will help on the s3 as my esteem has no scratches but I think I will get a screen protector too

IMO, you would be better off buying an external battery pack. The most important thing to me is to protect my phone. Battery life is secondary. That battery requires a thicker back cover which would mean you can't use a case with the phone (unless there is a specially made one that fits that fatter case but I have not seen one). The SIII is prone to screen cracking so the first thing I will do when I get mine is to put a strong case on it.

Also, an external battery pack give you a lot more flexibility. You only plug it in when needed so you are not holding the extra weight in your hand all the time. You use it to recharge other devices and you can leave your external battery charging in your car or in your office as you are out doing things with your phone.

IMO, you would be better off buying an external battery pack. The most important thing to me is to protect my phone. Battery life is secondary. That battery requires a thicker back cover which would mean you can't use a case with the phone (unless there is a specially made one that fits that fatter case but I have not seen one). The SIII is prone to screen cracking so the first thing I will do when I get mine is to put a strong case on it.

Also, an external battery pack give you a lot more flexibility. You only plug it in when needed so you are not holding the extra weight in your hand all the time. You use it to recharge other devices and you can leave your external battery charging in your car or in your office as you are out doing things with your phone.

there's this:

Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S III Extended Battery HoneyComb TPU Case -Black

416vouweMeL._AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Hyperion Samsung Galaxy S III Extended Battery HoneyComb TPU Case -Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've never heard anything about screen cracking. It has gorilla glass like the Esteem. I've dropped my Esteem from over four feet hitting the bottom left corner of the phone on the concrete of my shop floor and all I got was a small scratch on the plastic. I'm not worried about the Samsung screen.

Same here I have drop my esteem as well a couple of times the screen is intact just a tiny scratch on the plastic with the s3 we should be fine

I'll elaborate on my story. I dropped my Esteem from about four feet. It had a 3000mah extended battery in it. When it hit the concrete it hit so hard the back came off and the battery fell out. You have to really look to see the scratch on the phone.

I'll elaborate on my story. I dropped my Esteem from about four feet. It had a 3000mah extended battery in it. When it hit the concrete it hit so hard the back came off and the battery fell out. You have to really look to see the scratch on the phone.

I had the same type of fall lol tiny scratch :D

The S3 screen is gorilla glass, true. However, it is considerably thinner than the esteem. In other words, it is still scratch resistant, and will easily survive abuse by sharp objects running across its surface. However, being thinner, it makes it less prone to hold up to vibrations which would cause the glass to shatter, such as those resulting from a fall.

So the S3's screen is scratch-resistant, but not SHATTER-resistant.

That's the price you pay for thinner phones, unfortunately. The laws of physics only allow you to get away with so much. :(

A few drop tests, if you're still thinking it's not gonna shatter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TIPstdVaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7e9ebi41Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuwD7pdxxyo

The S3 screen is gorilla glass, true. However, it is considerably thinner than the esteem. In other words, it is still scratch resistant, and will easily survive abuse by sharp objects running across its surface. However, being thinner, it makes it less prone to hold up to vibrations which would cause the glass to shatter, such as those resulting from a fall.

That's the price you pay for thinner phones, unfortunately. The laws of physics only allow you to get away with so much. :(

Good analogy:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TIPstdVaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7e9ebi41Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuwD7pdxxyo

dont forget its significantly larger and more exposed to the edge of the phone as well vs the esteem that has the body going out a bit on the edges

Do you think the gorilla glass will help on the s3 as my esteem has no scratches but I think I will get a screen protector too

I've tried so many screen protectors from different Sellers on Ebay. Despite all being stupid cheap, they are different. Well i finally found one that i liked, go figure it was the cheapest too. Well the screen protector literally feels like nothing is there. No exaggeration. They are a buck a piece and you can't beat em. Honestly, i don't care if the screen was built by NASA and guaranteed not to scratch for life, I'm still getting a screen protector. I clean my screen multiple times a day so it really helps in keeping it smooth.

I can link you to the seller for the ones i get off the bay.

Drop Test: Samsung Galaxy S3 - YouTube
Samsung Galaxy S3 vs. iPhone 4S Drop Test - YouTube
iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test - YouTube

I'd recommend a silicone case, if you plan to drop it. All my phones and MP3 players I have had silicone cases and I never dropped any of them until I got my Esteem, which I dropped, but it had no case.

I literually just hung up the phone with my boy that has his own store and he called another rep on 3way and that rep said that he's being told Oct 15th but he can't promise anything because of how many times the dates change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom