• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Droid Eris 2.1 OS coming very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both... Osx is nice so is win 7 both do things the other can't....
I wish I had a nice Macbook next to me instead of another Win 7 laptop. I run 2 computers on my desk at all times but it would be lovely to have a Mac. And that's all I'm going to say on this issue.!!

I kind of feel sorry for those that are still on 1.5. I really don't think this will be pushed out anytime soon. I'd say half of those will update on April 1st if nothing comes down the pike.

I wish I had a nice Macbook next to me instead of another Win 7 laptop. I run 2 computers on my desk at all times but it would be lovely to have a Mac. And that's all I'm going to say on this issue.!!

I kind of feel sorry for those that are still on 1.5. I really don't think this will be pushed out anytime soon. I'd say half of those will update on April 1st if nothing comes down the pike.

the only thing is...SOMEONE at verizon said we will get the update. HTC tweeted we will get the update. but it was never on paper that we were EVER getting an update. sooo...i dont care anyway i got the update lmao!! :)

the only thing is...SOMEONE at verizon said we will get the update. HTC tweeted we will get the update. but it was never on paper that we were EVER getting an update. sooo...i dont care anyway i got the update lmao!! :)

They probably meant by Q1 2011.....:eek:

I will be one of those April 1st updaters if no OTA update comes.

Just those 5% of people who like things to work the first time without messing around with it. I used Windows for over 15 years until I bought a Mac, and have never looked back, it simply WORKS.

Let me preface this by saying that I am buying a Mac Mini next month.

The "it simply works" moniker you here from people who own a Mac is false. Mac's have issue just like any other computer and OSX is no different. If it were different, there wouldn't be support sites for it such as:

macosx.com - Mac Support

Apple - Support - Discussions - Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard

Mac OS X - Mac Forums

You wouldn't even need these type of forums if everything just worked. Here is a great example.

I ordered an iMac for my office at work to do simple video editing about 8 months ago. I set it up the day we received it and within an hour the kernel crashed and the machine needed to be rebooted. It continued to do this every single day. I archive restored the machine about 3 times in an attempt to get it running correctly. Finally, after a destructive restore, it works.

I'm not saying EricB falls into this catagory, but what I've found with Apple is a lot of Apple owners (not all of them) especially Macs, have a completely false sense of eliteness stemming from them drinking the Kool-Aid that Apple has been selling that their products "just work" when they suffer issues as well.

Why don't you hear about them as much? Because only 5% of the world uses them.

here is what I did.
1. back up everything on my SD card and format.
2. factory reset then reboot
3. load zip onto root of SD card then power down.
4. hold down power and call send buttons
5. follow instructions on screen using trackball to "select"
6. phone will go through some steps and downloads, then select update phone when it asks you
7. select reboot phone when it prompts you

its really easy just follow the steps and your golden.

Does the SD card get wiped too or was step one just a precaution?

I guess I'm just lucky with electronics then. Maybe I should rephrase my previous statement, "It just works FOR ME".

I guess I'm just lucky with electronics then. Maybe I should rephrase my previous statement, "It just works FOR ME".

The thing is, Windows XP just works for me. As an OS I love it.

I'm not debating how awesome OSX is, though. I love OSX and it's the reason why I'm buying a Mac Mini next month to replace my PC at home. I also have a Macbook Pro coming for work any day now in addition to XP work laptop.

Windows 7, however, is a huge advancement over any OS Microsoft has ever released.

I think the vibrate thing when making a call is to let you know your call connected. I know some think it's annoying but if I reach down and press a speed dial button without looking it tells me when it's connecting.

I agree that it's just to let you know the call is connected, but for those who don't like it, the workaround will prevent it.

Just those 5% of people who like things to work the first time without messing around with it. I used Windows for over 15 years until I bought a Mac, and have never looked back, it simply WORKS.

That's how I feel about switching from WinMo to Android. My Eris just works....

Why wait? It's here. Leaked, but it's here. I think for some reason the fear of the slightest bug in a piece of software sends people running for their mommies. 2.1 is out, it's here, I have it on my phone. It's faster and better than my experience with 1.5. I cannot find any significant thing wrong with it and all my apps run great.

The only particular caution I would give anyone are these two things. First, make sure you follow the directions that have been provided a hundred times. And second, be aware that some of your paid apps may not show up in the Market after you update to 2.1. But IMHO that is not even an issue. I have all my apps anyway from other sources, backup, friends, etc.

Oh, and for the last time, the gmail image problem is not new. It is NOT a result of a leaked 2.1. If they were to release OTA 2.1 today the image problem would still be there. Those image issues are a result of the gmail program and NOT 2.1. they will update it eventually anyway, so relax.

Another thing to think about. When the OTA does come there will be plenty to complain about, it will not be perfect. I have never seen a perfect release of software, ever.

If you want 2.1 just get it now and enjoy it early like the rest of us. ;-)

To those who have had a bad experience I am truly sorry. I also think there are some bad phones out there. I have a co-worker that has returned his phone twice for problems on it.

You should know that the megaupload link was the first and I guarantee the most used link for this. And out of all who downloaded it from there only a handful have complained of ''viruses'', which are probably no more than browser cookies. But maybe you should look into upgrading from what you are using now and I guarantee you will have less headaches.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

I use Chrome. I had 3 critical items that took over my computer. This morning it still has not recovered, Chrome or Explorer will not load. I am not sure why that happened to just a handful of us. This was luckily on my netbook so if it does end up non recoverable then it will be a minimum lost.

Was hoping Google Earth would work with this leak, but no such luck.:(

Wouldn't really use it for anything but the "Coolness factor".:cool:

To those who have had a bad experience I am truly sorry. I also think there are some bad phones out there. I have a co-worker that has returned his phone twice for problems on it.

After looking around these forums for three months now, I whole-heartedly agree with that.

My Eris, still on 1.5, has never given me a problem (that is, a problem that did not turn out to be my lack of education on the device). I see no lag anywhere, as long as I do routine maintenance once per week.

I see others posting similar happiness with their devices, but mostly I see people with phone lag on-screen, browser freezing and crashes, sound issues, syncing issues and a host of other things.

So, some of that is user error (along with lack of proper maintenance), some has to be the software and some could even be the hardware itself (the Eris they have in their hand was not inspected properly before shipment, etc).

After looking around these forums for three months now, I whole-heartedly agree with that.

My Eris, still on 1.5, has never given me a problem (that is, a problem that did not turn out to be my lack of education on the device). I see no lag anywhere, as long as I do routine maintenance once per week.

I see others posting similar happiness with their devices, but mostly I see people with phone lag on-screen, browser freezing and crashes, sound issues, syncing issues and a host of other things.

So, some of that is user error (along with lack of proper maintenance), some has to be the software and some could even be the hardware itself (the Eris they have in their hand was not inspected properly before shipment, etc).

I come from the automotive business and the saying there was always avoid brand new models, brand new engines, etc. Also, avoid cars made on a Monday or a Friday. In other words, everyone makes a lemon once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom