• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
On yet another note,

WOOHOO I'M A SENIOR MEMBER
victory_baby_picdump-s400x400-140848.jpg

Upvote 0
I need an intervention here, I think.

After reading the Droid-Life headline about the volume issue possibly being hardware... It may have finally brought me to the edge.

I'm seriously thinking about using my upgrade on an iPhone 4S.

I've always had Android smartphones, but I do own an iPad... I've never, not even once, considered abandoning my beloved mobile OS when it came to phones... until now. It's just too much... the wait... the problems... I'M HAVING A CRISIS HERE.

I might get flamed for this here but the iphone is a good phone with quality hardware. I used to have one before my Thunderbolt.

If the iphone currently supported LTE and aty least a 4 inch screen I may not be waiting for a Galaxy Nexus. I am a fan of both the iPhone and android devices.

Upvote 0
Yeah, radio interference is a huge thing for the FCC, anytime you read an FCC warning, that is the main point, it must not give off any radio signals which can cause a problem, and it must take all radio signals without causing a problem. If you are able to bring another phone near it and cause a problem... well, thats a big problem.

It's called electromagnetic succeptibility, and yes it is a huge problem. Surprised if that is the problem that the FCC didn't catch it. FCC certs should tell what tests it underwent and that no frequency ranges caused problems.

Upvote 0
Hi folks. Literally just got my Nexus. UK incase anyones wondering. Anyone needs any Qs answered let me know and ill do my best. BTW this thing is gorgeous.

i'm curious as to how mass storage/file transfer works between the GNex and your pc with the MTP (since the GNex doesn't support USB file transfer)?? Thanks!

...and, Congrats on the purchase!! :D

Upvote 0
It's called electromagnetic succeptibility, and yes it is a huge problem. Surprised if that is the problem that the FCC didn't catch it. FCC certs should tell what tests it underwent and that no frequency ranges caused problems.

I believe it was posted earlier... the only reports of the problem are on the GSM version of the phone, I don't believe there have been any confirmed reports from the LTE version... which should have been caught by the FCC... :)

Upvote 0
Ok gang...I'm out until some time closer to 12/8

enjoy!

No you're not.

You might not post, but I know you'll be lurking. They're always lurking.

lol - so true.

See ya in a couple of hours!

yup

I have been lurking on this thread since it was 50 pages....finally coming out.

Welcome out of the darkness and into the light ....although that could be reversed and still be true.....anywhoo - welcome!

Upvote 0
Add me to those who don't think Verizon is the bad guy here. Or at least not to the extent many are painting them to be.

Here's what I think a lot of you are missing: VZW doesn't owe you anything. They are not in the Galaxy Nexus business. As far as they're concerned, they're biggest priority is to provide hardware and service that appeals to as wide a swath of people as possible. Whether you want to accept this or not, Nexus phones are a niche product. The majority of consumers don't know and honestly don't care about a Nexus vs a Rezound vs a RAZR. Verizon probably feels the same. They're interested in what's available at that moment, the instant they step into a store - and those are the phones that Verizon is most interested in, those they can sell RIGHT NOW. Many folks want either the iPhone or "the iPhone with a bigger screen." We're not the folks VZW caters to, and they shouldn't. We're a tiny minority.

It sucks, yeah. We live and die by these phones and follow every piece of info like a case we're trying to crack. So we become so immersed in it the whole world starts looking like it's conspiring against releasing this device. In actuality, it's just not an issue.

Just my 0.02. I completely sympathize with everyone waiting for this device and hope you get what you want as soon as possible. It's Christmas time, everyone wants their new favorite toy NOW. ;)

Upvote 0
I currently have an OG Droid with a camera that won't focus without a slam to a table.

Talk me out of switching to AT&T and getting the Samsung Galaxy SII through Amazon's 1 cent sale.... or waiting for Verizon to release the Nexus for $299.

I would lose unlimited data on VZW, but I rarely go over 1GB per month on 3G.

I'm in a VZW 4G area, but AT&T's 3G speed is plenty fast.

I've got the thing in my Amazon cart and am trying to think of a reason not to do it.

Upvote 0
I have decided that's it is now close enough to Christmas that I'm going to let my kids give me the Nexus as a present and as long as it comes out by 12/24/11 I'm good. I'm going to Florida for 2 weeks on 12/9 for vacation and will likely have the nexus delivered to my clinic while I'm gone. By doing I have now removed all stress from my life, and I am just posting to gloat. :)

Upvote 0
Add me to those who don't think Verizon is the bad guy here. Or at least not to the extent many are painting them to be.

Here's what I think a lot of you are missing: VZW doesn't owe you anything. They are not in the Galaxy Nexus business. As far as they're concerned, they're biggest priority is to provide hardware and service that appeals to as wide a swath of people as possible. Whether you want to accept this or not, Nexus phones are a niche product. The majority of consumers don't know and honestly don't care about a Nexus vs a Rezound vs a RAZR. Verizon probably feels the same. They're interested in what's available at that moment, the instant they step into a store - and those are the phones that Verizon is most interested in, those they can sell RIGHT NOW. Many folks want either the iPhone or "the iPhone with a bigger screen." We're not the folks VZW caters to, and they shouldn't. We're a tiny minority.

It sucks, yeah. We live and die by these phones and follow every piece of info like a case we're trying to crack. So we become so immersed in it the whole world starts looking like it's conspiring against releasing this device. In actuality, it's just not an issue.

Just my 0.02. I completely sympathize with everyone waiting for this device and hope you get what you want as soon as possible. It's Christmas time, everyone wants their new favorite toy NOW. ;)

I agree.
And for the record - I pick on Verizon in my avatar's because I can....not because I truly lay 100% of the blame at their feet.

I currently have an OG Droid with a camera that won't focus without a slam to a table.

Talk me out of switching to AT&T and getting the Samsung Galaxy SII through Amazon's 1 cent sale.... or waiting for Verizon to release the Nexus for $299.

I've got the thing in my Amazon cart and am trying to think of a reason not to do it.

Because have waited this long for the Nexus on VZW. To go to AT&T would be a decision made due to frustration. Wait it out. Get a $20 camera somewhere to tide you over if you have to - or better yet, one of the disposable ones. They're kinda fun to shove in people's faces anyway - takes them completely by surprise.
Just my $0.02
I hope you stay though.

Upvote 0
An open question to the subsect of those posting who have a relatively recent phone as opposed to those that are sitting on dying OG droids and INCs. As this release is pushed back due to rumored techincal problems and we get closer to CES 2012, rumblings are already begining. With rumors for upcoming quadcore 720p phones begining to surface at what point if any would you decide to hold on your Gnex purchase and shift your attention/dollars/madness to one of these potential devices.

For myself I wont wait.. my verizon contract is expiring mid next month and my ability to get my hands on an import vs the eventual verzon release will decide how I get the phone. I really don't think I would want to go with an non nexus phone because while it is possible to predict OEM/carrier updates(way behind the curve) it is impossible to predict the amount of dev support a device may get and thus the quality and frequency of rom releases. Not to mention some times those rom releases are dependent on getting things from the official releases if the devs cant get something working properly in an update.

Upvote 0
Hi folks. Literally just got my Nexus. UK incase anyones wondering. Anyone needs any Qs answered let me know and ill do my best. BTW this thing is gorgeous.
Congrats! As huskerkate brought up earlier, the debate of USB transfer seems to be still raging - any hands on data you can provide would be helpful. Also, if you have a USB On The Go cord, I'm very interested to hear if it works for you on the Nexus; there have been conflicting reports on this as well. Any light you could shed on these would be great!

Upvote 0

If you travel outside of metropolitan / rural areas then stick with Verizon. If not and you are good with ATT's service in your town pull the trigger. If I wasn't locked in for another 11 months I would switch. I really like the look of the SGSII's with their small bezels.

Except I'd go to sprint as they are supposed to have the 2nd best network and I just trust that Dan Hesse guy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones