• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official MetroPCS BYOD discussion thread

So... I'm interested in getting an unlocked android. I'm not sure what I can get anyway since I have MetroPCS.

Here's some I was looking at.

Amazon.com: I9220(n9000)5.0" Capacitive Android 4.0 Mtk6575 Dual SIM Smart Phone: Electronics

Amazon.com: Phecda i 9300 MTK6577 Android 4.1.1 Smartphone *GSM+CDMA Dual Standby Quad Band with 4.6" Capacitive Screen and GPS (White): Electronics

Amazon.com: Samsung i9082 Galaxy Grand Duos 8Gb Factory Unlocked Dual Sim wifi 3G Android 4.: Electronics

So what are the risks of buying these kinds of androids? If none of these work on MetroPCS could any of you direct me to one that does with a link or something?

I don't really care if it's brandname, I would like one the size of the Note, I just don't want to spend THAT much on a phone and as we all know Metro PCS does not have a phone available in this size.

Would like all the info I can get about this.

Upvote 0
So... I'm interested in getting an unlocked android. I'm not sure what I can get anyway since I have MetroPCS.

Here's some I was looking at.

Amazon.com: I9220(n9000)5.0" Capacitive Android 4.0 Mtk6575 Dual SIM Smart Phone: Electronics

Amazon.com: Phecda i 9300 MTK6577 Android 4.1.1 Smartphone *GSM+CDMA Dual Standby Quad Band with 4.6" Capacitive Screen and GPS (White): Electronics

Amazon.com: Samsung i9082 Galaxy Grand Duos 8Gb Factory Unlocked Dual Sim wifi 3G Android 4.: Electronics

So what are the risks of buying these kinds of androids? If none of these work on MetroPCS could any of you direct me to one that does with a link or something?

I don't really care if it's brandname, I would like one the size of the Note, I just don't want to spend THAT much on a phone and as we all know Metro PCS does not have a phone available in this size.

Would like all the info I can get about this.
Wouldnt recommend any of these but the 1st one only has a 2G radio, the 2nd one may get you some sort of 3G in refarmed, the 3rd one flat out states tmobiles not compatible even though you MAY get 3G in refarmed areas

Upvote 0
Wouldnt recommend any of these but the 1st one only has a 2G radio, the 2nd one may get you some sort of 3G in refarmed, the 3rd one flat out states tmobiles not compatible even though you MAY get 3G in refarmed areas

Although I actually made a thread for this but it instead lumped it in here, thanks Lol! Could you possibly PM me some links to some that would work? I really need a phone the size of a note 2. :)

I'm going to retry making a thread. Lol

Upvote 0
Although I actually made a thread for this but it instead lumped it in here, thanks Lol! Could you possibly PM me some links to some that would work? I really need a phone the size of a note 2. :)

I'm going to retry making a thread. Lol

Oh sorry I was about to PM you that I merged it into here since its a quesion about BYOD too

Upvote 0
Okay just confirmed with MetroPCS Customer Service.. If ANY phone is unlocked and uses a sim card it will work.

I specifically asked if the off brand unlocked GSM phones from China on Amazon will work on their service and the Rep confirmed it and said as long as you have a Metro sim card and an unlocked phone that will take a sim it will work.

As far as I could tell if you have a Metro sim card and you plug it into the unlocked device it should work.

At least thats what they just said to me.

If it wouldn't be to much trouble I am requesting all who see this thread/nonmoderator announcement to please contact MetroPCS Customer service to see what your rep says about it.

Please post here what they say to you in regards to offbrand phones, to clear up confusion amongst AF, because my rep could have been lying.

Please and thank you. :)

Here is the number I called: 1(888)863-8768 (this is the cosumer customer service number)

OH AND ONE MORE THING. When you call them you'll want to talk to the rep, so don't wait for the options to come up. After it says whatever in Spanish say, "Speak to an agent." This will transfer you to the first available MetroPCS rep.

Upvote 0
Haven't seen any confusion of the matter that your talking about but here's the criteria for BYOD:
- Has to be unlocked if not a tmobile branded phone
- Has to have a clean IMEI
- MUST support tmobile bands

I've just seen people that are under the impression that you can not use any off brand unlocked at all. People put me under that impression as well until I decided to ask for myself.

That's the only reason why. I also wanted to let people know so we could call them and make sure that's actually correct.

I've had Metro Reps outright lie before so might as well confirm it right?

Upvote 0
I've just seen people that are under the impression that you can not use any off brand unlocked at all. People put me under that impression as well until I decided to ask for myself.

That's the only reason why. I also wanted to let people know so we could call them and make sure that's actually correct.

I've had Metro Reps outright lie before so might as well confirm it right?

The issue is will it work on tmobile frequencies if it doesn't support the frequencies of tmobile there's no possible way for it to work on BYOD that's why some of us were telling you those certain phones won't work on BYOD

Reactions: Thatdad
Upvote 0
Personally if i was going that route i would go the skyrocket variant or note lte from AT&T since its so cheap right now
The skyrocket (to my knowledge) does not have a way to use tmobile frequencies so it would only get hspa in refarmed areas.

LTE would work but it would drop to edge for fall back, and edge is 2G and well aggravating lol
The note will work, but you will need to modify it to get tmo hspa natively.

Upvote 0
The skyrocket (to my knowledge) does not have a way to use tmobile frequencies so it would only get hspa in refarmed areas.

LTE would work but it would drop to edge for fall back, and edge is 2G and well aggravating lol
The note will work, but you will need to modify it to get tmo hspa natively.

most AT&T phone require some work

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones