• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

Am I the only one having problems connecting to AF? I am typing this from my iPod using tapatalk. I have not been able to access AF since about 7pm yesterday. And judging from the last time someone posted, it's not just me.

Definitely not just you, this is the first time I have been allowed to access this site as well. Now I keep getting prompted for a user name password, hopefully that is fixed soon.

YERP!
phandroid needs a new hosting company. the down time is getting to be ridiculous!
also GOOOO DROID X!!!
and lakers :)

I will buy it day 1 and wait for specs on Droid 2 while enjoying the X and buy the Droid 2 if it's better within my 30 day return time frame. Love the whole media experience on the X but if Droid 2 has Froyo stock and better e-mail capabilities then I'm all for a smaller more efficient phone. Love that Droid X though.

The way things are getting better and faster for Android and with more and more phones coming out with less wait times than it used to for Verizon, i think the Droid X will only last me 6-7 months. Especially with what might happen later this year or early next but not necessarily Android.

The way things are getting better and faster for Android and with more and more phones coming out with less wait times than it used to for Verizon, i think the Droid X will only last me 6-7 months. Especially with what might happen later this year or early next but not necessarily Android.

I agree with you there. My plan is to buy the Droid X or Droid 2 at the 1 year contract price so I can just upgrade in a year as opposed to 2 years which will feel like an eternity considering the fast pace of advancing mobile tech nowadays.

How hard would it be to measure the phone when you have it in hand? I thought it looked the same size as the EVO's screen so 4.3 sounds good, I don't really think the .1 is much of a difference unless fan-boys want something to brag about. Either way I am buying this phone as soon as it is released.
It's pretty tough to measure unless you happen to carry a ruler around with you ;)

However, when you have a picture of the X next to the EVO, you can use a graphics program (or a printed copy and ruler) to compare the diagonal size. You cannot compare the edge lengths though because they are different aspect ratios.

I agree with you there. My plan is to buy the Droid X or Droid 2 at the 1 year contract price so I can just upgrade in a year as opposed to 2 years which will feel like an eternity considering the fast pace of advancing mobile tech nowadays.

Even if you get a 2-year contract on Verizon, can't you upgrade after 12 months anyway?

Also, is it pretty common for people to add a 3rd line for $10 if they're not quite elligible? Does elligibility follow the individual "line" or the entire account?

Example: I start an account for just myself right now for say 3 months, then I add my wife and go to a family plan (does this reset MY eligibilty date/2 year contract) or just hers?

If she assumes the account it will change your date to one year.

Even if you get a 2-year contract on Verizon, can't you upgrade after 12 months anyway?

Only the primary account holder can do this. So just switch account holders ( account assumption) after one year and you can updrade every year. My family account (5 lines) updrade Every twelve months.

Only the primary account holder can do this. So just switch account holders ( account assumption) after one year and you can updrade every year. My family account (5 lines) updrade Evert twelve months.

and because you can port a number inside the account to any of hte phones you have and vice-versa, if the person who is elligible for an upgrade doesn't care, then the person who does can use that other persons upgrade to get a phone and then switch the numbers via port?

What do you mean by "assumes" the account? I would just go from an individual plan to a family plan and add her as the 2nd line.
If the account is in you name have her assume your line (open a new account. And assume your line) by doing this your out of contract end date will change to one year...

Only the primary account holder can do this. So just switch account holders ( account assumption) after one year and you can updrade every year. My family account (5 lines) updrade Evert twelve months.

Can you explain exactly what to do to accomplish this? Thanks.

If the account is in you name have her assume your line (open a new account. And assume your line) by doing this your out of contract end date will change to one year...

Ok, so I go in, open my account with an individual plan, get Droid X, do happy dance.

2 or 3 months later, she goes in, opens account with family plan, assumes my account (I'm assuming there is no ETF for me???) and gets whatever phone she wants. Then my new phone date has gone from 1 year and 9 months, to only 9 months, or 1 year from the date she assumes my line onto her new account?

Just wanted to see if anybody knows if this will have 4G or not. Kind of the deal breaker for me. I won't upgrade until there is a good phone on Verizon with 4g, even if the service isn't available yet.

Thanks!

hhhhmmmm this seems to have turned into a discussion of how to go about managing contracts and stuff like that. Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread in the Shadow forum for discussions like that.

This thread should probably be kept more specific to the Droid X itself.

Just wanted to see if anybody knows if this will have 4G or not. Kind of the deal breaker for me. I won't upgrade until there is a good phone on Verizon with 4g, even if the service isn't available yet.

Thanks!
LMFAO thanks for the laughs.

You should try the evo4g forums and hope their 4g signal reaches your area.

LMFAO thanks for the laughs.

You should try the evo4g forums and hope their 4g signal reaches your area.

Happy to provide an idiot with laughs. I don't care about a signal being present or not. I thought I made that clear. I want the option for it so I don't have to buy a new phone when it does come out. It's called being smart when you buy something. I guess saying "Even if the service isn't available yet" wasn't clear enough for you.

Thanks to everyone else for real answers.

Happy to provide an idiot with laughs. I don't care about a signal being present or not. I thought I made that clear. I want the option for it so I don't have to buy a new phone when it does come out. It's called being smart when you buy something. I guess saying "Even if the service isn't available yet" wasn't clear enough for you.

Thanks to everyone else for real answers.

I believe verizon isn't planning to have LTE fully rolled out for the next 2 years. Right now it wouldn't make sense for them to release 4g devices because 4g isn't a dealbreaker for most people right now. If you are buying a smart phone now you are likely to upgrade before the network is available. (unless you are in one of the 25ish markets they plan to begin rolling out by end of year) And in all honesty, another radio to suck battery life isn't good for the consumer right now either. I don't believe I have seen any of the leaked specs that point to this handset having a 4g radio in it.

I agree. I dont think 4g should be a deal breaker for anyone on Verizon's network as your not looking at getting dependable 4g service for 1.5-2yrs anyway. This should also eliminate the need for a front facing camera on Verizon also since 3g would not be very capable.

The two main factors it seems that should persuade you either way is the Size (too large for some) and the lack of keyboard.

Once released there could be other factors as well (battery life, call quality, etc).

Otherwise, the specs show it above and beyond anything out right now.

My droid will be with his foster parents very soon... :P

I believe verizon isn't planning to have LTE fully rolled out for the next 2 years. Right now it wouldn't make sense for them to release 4g devices because 4g isn't a dealbreaker for most people right now. If you are buying a smart phone now you are likely to upgrade before the network is available. (unless you are in one of the 25ish markets they plan to begin rolling out by end of year) And in all honesty, another radio to suck battery life isn't good for the consumer right now either. I don't believe I have seen any of the leaked specs that point to this handset having a 4g radio in it.

Thanks,

Yeah I know it wouldn't really be used. I would assume it would have the same options as most phones to turn off specific radios when not in use. I already have a Moto Droid. So really, the only reason I ask is because I would buy it full price if it had 4g support for the future. :)

Thanks again!

Ok, so I go in, open my account with an individual plan, get Droid X, do happy dance.

2 or 3 months later, she goes in, opens account with family plan, assumes my account (I'm assuming there is no ETF for me???) and gets whatever phone she wants. Then my new phone date has gone from 1 year and 9 months, to only 9 months, or 1 year from the date she assumes my line onto her new account?

Ok sorry for continuing the contract talk, but we have some incorrect info floating around out there. When a line is assumed, the contract doesn't change at all.. You still get your upgrade at 20 months regardless. As far as the 1 year upgrade, only the primary line gets it, so whether it's your wife's line, or whether you set your assumed line as the primary, the annual upgrade still comes after 1 year.

In your case, you definitely wanna set up the individual account in your name, then add the wife later on down the road- you wont get the discount if the account is in her name..

Ok contract talk over, back to the X!!

Back
Top Bottom