• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

I am really impressed Verizon got their hands on this phone. Its not like us to get the pick of the litter with phones.

What, are you kidding me? They got the Droid, Droid Incredible, this and they could have had the iphone if they wanted it. I think it is just like Verizon to have their pick of the litter.:D

But I am super glad they got this phone and I am glad I sold my Incredible a while back when I got good money from Ebay for it, and that I was waiting to buy another one and this baby came out instead.

Upvote 0
yeah notice anything about all those phones? They all came out within the last 7 months. Trust me, this is a new thing for Verizon.

And another thing. Yeah verizon had the droid, but then tmo got the nexus. Verizon got the incredible, and sprint got the EVO. Everytime verizon comes out with something, one of our competitors has something better at the same time. But not with this. In all honesty this is the best phone coming out right now, and the fact that it's coming to Verizon makes me all giddy inside!

Upvote 0
So if I get verizon for this phone and then later want to add my wife, it's only $10 to add a line? Would she have to get her own $29/month data plan for whatever phone she got?

Its only $10 if you already have a family plan with at least 2 lines, and you're adding another one.. Family pricing starts at $70 for 700 minutes for 2 lines.. Data plans are dependent on the phone itself, so if she got a smartphone, yes she would have her own data plan

Upvote 0
Its only $10 if you already have a family plan with at least 2 lines, and you're adding another one.. Family pricing starts at $70 for 700 minutes for 2 lines.. Data plans are dependent on the phone itself, so if she got a smartphone, yes she would have her own data plan

Thanks, just went on verizon and saw that. Seems like with my 25% discount that Verizon would be a great deal for the two of us.

Do you know if they can port 2 numbers onto 1 account that have different area codes? Sprint said they could do it, but AT&T can't.

Upvote 0
Also, is it pretty common for people to add a 3rd line for $10 if they're not quite elligible? Does elligibility follow the individual "line" or the entire account?

Example: I start an account for just myself right now for say 3 months, then I add my wife and go to a family plan (does this reset MY eligibilty date/2 year contract) or just hers?

Upvote 0
Current iphone 3g guy here with 18 months of NON service, I just got off the phone with Verizon earlier when over plan pricing, etc.. and I will be getting a call as soon as the pre-order is announced so I guess you could say I'm on a pre-order-pre-order, lol, soooooooo sick of my iphone and ATT's crappy coverage and terrible treatment of its customers.

Upvote 0
I have never pre-ordered a phone from Verizon before. How exactly does it work. Are you GUARRENTEED a phone on Launch day? Do you pick it up at a store or does it get shipped to you? Anyone care to fill me in?

Gets shipped to you

Thanks, just went on verizon and saw that. Seems like with my 25% discount that Verizon would be a great deal for the two of us.

Do you know if they can port 2 numbers onto 1 account that have different area codes? Sprint said they could do it, but AT&T can't.

Also, is it pretty common for people to add a 3rd line for $10 if they're not quite elligible? Does elligibility follow the individual "line" or the entire account?

Example: I start an account for just myself right now for say 3 months, then I add my wife and go to a family plan (does this reset MY eligibilty date/2 year contract) or just hers?

yea that is a pretty sweet discount- nice!! Its actually very common for people to do it, cuz as you saw, the overall net 2 year cost ends up being cheaper than getting the phone outright.. Each line has its own individual contract, so your contract is unchanged by adding a 2nd line

Current iphone 3g guy here with 18 months of NON service, I just got off the phone with Verizon earlier when over plan pricing, etc.. and I will be getting a call as soon as the pre-order is announced so I guess you could say I'm on a pre-order-pre-order, lol, soooooooo sick of my iphone and ATT's crappy coverage and terrible treatment of its customers.

Yet another Android/VZW converter- welcome!!! :D

Upvote 0
Gets shipped to you

yea that is a pretty sweet discount- nice!! Its actually very common for people to do it, cuz as you saw, the overall net 2 year cost ends up being cheaper than getting the phone outright.. Each line has its own individual contract, so your contract is unchanged by adding a 2nd line

Thanks alot for the info. So I can get myself the super cheap plan for now, since I can stay under 450 minutes a month. And then in a couple months add my wife, excelent.

One thing for her is she's got this little wallet/pouch thing she wears on a laynard because she works in a not so good high school, she currently keeps her iphone 3GS in it and it barely fits, so the droid X is a no go for her, but does anyone know what size the droid 2 is going to be?

Upvote 0
Thanks alot for the info. So I can get myself the super cheap plan for now, since I can stay under 450 minutes a month. And then in a couple months add my wife, excelent.

One thing for her is she's got this little wallet/pouch thing she wears on a laynard because she works in a not so good high school, she currently keeps her iphone 3GS in it and it barely fits, so the droid X is a no go for her, but does anyone know what size the droid 2 is going to be?

Oh, and what about the multiple area code porting to a common account? Sorry for all the questions, I get annoyed when noobs come into a forum that i frequent, but you guys are so damn fast and knowedgeable compared to the idiots at most cell phone stores.

Droid 2 should stay the same at 3.7- looks to be the same size as D1, judging from leaked pics, also most sites put it at 3.7, so its probably a no-go for D2 also.. Also gotta remember that D2 is gonna be 2x as thick as the 3Gs..

No prob porting multiple area codes, but you might wanna double check with VZW to make sure that the numbers are portable- 99% of numbers are, but there is that 1%

My upgrade isn't until July 29th. I'm a little rusty on my Verizon policy. If this phone is available for preorder on june 23 or when ever then released on July 19th, Can I still pre-order it or reserve a phone and have it shipped on that date? I don't want to end up like these guys with the incredible and still waiting on my phone :(

You have to be eligible to upgrade at the time of order, so you would have to get them to bump you up.. June 23 will just be the date they announce it- pre-order, if they do one, would be more like the Inc- 10-14 days before release.. Bumpin you up 3 weeks or so definitely counts as "reasonable" so there's no reason they shouldnt do it as long as payment history and other factors check out ok

Upvote 0
ahh, well unfortunately I'm on an employee account (my wife works in porting and knows nothing about phones :eek: or the ordering policies) so my upgrade is every ten months. I don't think I can, in good conscience, ask them to further move my upgrade date. Besides it probably won't be available to employees on launch day anyway :( alas my heart sinks...

Upvote 0
ahh, well unfortunately I'm on an employee account (my wife works in porting and knows nothing about phones :eek: or the ordering policies) so my upgrade is every ten months. I don't think I can, in good conscience, ask them to further move my upgrade date. Besides it probably won't be available to employees on launch day anyway :( alas my heart sinks...

Wait so your wife works in porting for VZW?

Upvote 0

Wait...you get a 25% discount with Verizon? How can I get that? They're real chincy on discounts. Do tell.:D

Upvote 0
What, are you kidding me? They got the Droid, Droid Incredible, this and they could have had the iphone if they wanted it. I think it is just like Verizon to have their pick of the litter.:D

But I am super glad they got this phone and I am glad I sold my Incredible a while back when I got good money from Ebay for it, and that I was waiting to buy another one and this baby came out instead.

Its gonna be a crazy next few months for Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones