• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

According to the CS rep that I spoke with yesterday it is all dependent on the price of your plan. If you have a plan that cost more than $79.99 you are eligible for an early upgrade of your phone every 12 months...but of course you loose your NE2 discount.
Mine costs more that that and I don't get a yearly upgrade...unless they mean a voice plan over $79.99. In which case, it would be cheaper for me to buy one at full retail. ;)

Annual Upgrade policy from the Verizon website:

You can get a new phone every year with Annual Upgrade. Sign up for a 2-year agreement on a calling plan of at least $49.99 and you can purchase a new phone at its promotional price through My Verizon every year with a 2-year renewal (upgrade fee may apply).

So you can get the Droid X for $199 price, but you will lose your NE2 discount.

In that case, I might have to upgrade my plan even though I don't use the phone for calls that much...

Also you have to be current on your bill. So no past bills due.

I know I was trying to upgrade to the Incredible a few months back but I had just changed my plan. So I had to have 3 consecutive months of the $49.99 plan or higher before I could use the Annual Upgrade. (however you could talk to a CSR and they may waive it, they did for me, I ended up not ordering the Incredible due to the long wait)

So that could also be a problem if you've changed anything in your plan recently.

Annual Upgrade policy from the Verizon website:

So you can get the Droid X for $199 price, but you will lose your NE2 discount.

Yes so you dont get the $50 off the discount price and you have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee... Yes thats right if you meet the requirements you have to pay VZW $20 so that you can upgrade in the store or over the phone with a rep... I have tried it online and it never charges me but if you talk to a rep they will tell you they charge you an Early upgrade fee...

I just looked at what I have...I have a family plan (just my wife and I) for $100. So, when we get the X's, maybe I just need to get them to move us both to individual lines at $50 each and we can both get yearly upgrades.

I just looked at what I have...I have a family plan (just my wife and I) for $100. So, when we get the X's, maybe I just need to get them to move us both to individual lines at $50 each and we can both get yearly upgrades.

Yeah I think only the primary holder can do the annual upgrade.

But I'm not certain.

I thought you can upgrade your phone every year. If your CONTRACT ends in 2010, doesn't that mean you are already eligible for Droid X at the upgrade price ($199)? Since upgrading your phone renews the contract, the only way your contract would expire in 2010 is if you hadn't used your annual phone upgrade yet. Am I missing something here? Yes I understand this only applies to the primary line.

Ok here's the deal.. Standard upgrade on a 2 year contract is after 20 months for single lines and secondary lines on a family plan. For the primary line on a family plan, and for single lines who have an $80 plan or higher, you can upgrade after 12 months of a 2 year contract. For any line on a 1 year contract, you can upgrade after 10 months.

Now for this promotion, it doesn't matter what kind of contract you have, or what plan, or what type of line you have, or what your upgrade date is. If your CONTRACT ends before the end of the year, you can upgrade early to ANY smartphone, through the end of August. You will forfeit a New Every Two credit if you have one coming before the end of the year.

Ok enough talk about contracts and stuff- who wants an X?!?!

Ok here's the deal.. Standard upgrade on a 2 year contract is after 20 months for single lines and secondary lines on a family plan. For the primary line on a family plan, and for single lines who have an $80 plan or higher, you can upgrade after 12 months of a 2 year contract. For any line on a 1 year contract, you can upgrade after 10 months.

Now for this promotion, it doesn't matter what kind of contract you have, or what plan, or what type of line you have, or what your upgrade date is. If your CONTRACT ends before the end of the year, you can upgrade early to ANY smartphone, through the end of August. You will forfeit a New Every Two credit if you have one coming before the end of the year.

Ok enough talk about contracts and stuff- who wants an X?!?!

Uh yeah but what about people like me? I am a secondary line on a family plan.
My upgrade date is in September of this year and my f'in contract end date is January 4th, 2011 (of course). Will I get the $299 price or not???

Uh yeah but what about people like me? I am a secondary line on a family plan.
My upgrade date is in September of this year and my f'in contract end date is January 4th, 2011 (of course). Will I get the $299 price or not???

If your upgrade date is September I would go the customer service phone route... They are allowed to do one "Favor" a year for you and that includes selling a phone at discounted price with new Two year contract even if you are not up for renewal... Granted they cant do this if you just got your phone but if your upgrade is coming soon they might just do it for you...

And just got off the phone with Best Buy confirmed Pre-Orders are there. They are on a first come first serve basis so if they are shorted on the pre-order phones they get and only receive 40 instead of 100 only the first 40 pre-orders get the first shipment of phones...

Hmmm...well, in that case, I guess I'll upgrade my wife's phone to the X (but I'll take it/activate it on my line) and then use my NE2 to get her one on July 26th. She can wait an extra week for the added discount.

...or I could get them to bump up my NE2 by a couple days and get both phones on release day...

Hmmm...well, in that case, I guess I'll upgrade my wife's phone to the X (but I'll take it/activate it on my line) and then use my NE2 to get her one on July 26th. She can wait an extra week for the added discount.

...or I could get them to bump up my NE2 by a couple days and get both phones on release day...

Of course the wife can wait, lol just what I would do to my wife.

So why do you men think you deserve to get the phone before your wife does, even though she's the one that has the upgrade available?

Because that is what we do... Technology is our crack and we have to have it... no matter who it hurts... So when everyone is standing outside the VZW store waiting to get it and they open the door all the men will start running in the store and leave our wife waiting at the curb or she might get trampled... (and her husband would be the first one to push her down)

Guess I just have a perfect husband! He gave me his last upgrade since my phone broke and his was still working just fine. He kept his last BlackBerry (world) for several years. He recently upgraded to a new BlackBerry (he has to have a BB to connect to work from his phone). He knows I plan to buy the X but doesn't see what the big deal is.

Guess I just have a perfect husband! He gave me his last upgrade since my phone broke and his was still working just fine. He kept his last BlackBerry (world) for several years. He recently upgraded to a new BlackBerry (he has to have a BB to connect to work from his phone). He knows I plan to buy the X but doesn't see what the big deal is.

I guess I have the perfect wife then, she gave me her last upgrade, this time I will be using mine. She actually kind of hates technology so it kind of works out for me since I love it. She hates touchscreens

If your upgrade date is September I would go the customer service phone route... They are allowed to do one "Favor" a year for you and that includes selling a phone at discounted price with new Two year contract even if you are not up for renewal... Granted they cant do this if you just got your phone but if your upgrade is coming soon they might just do it for you...

And just got off the phone with Best Buy confirmed Pre-Orders are there. They are on a first come first serve basis so if they are shorted on the pre-order phones they get and only receive 40 instead of 100 only the first 40 pre-orders get the first shipment of phones...

Okay, i was planning on trying to just talk the store into letting me do it anyway despite the 4 day different (that is, if they don't let you go by the upgrade date as well).

But in Best Buy, does this same rule apply for early upgrades? Where they will let you pay the 199 if you have the contract end date (or maybe upgrade date in my case) before 2011? Is BB following this same thing?? Nobody has confirmed who exactly gets to pay only 199 at BB when pre-ordered.

Back
Top Bottom