• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

GOOD NEWS GUYS!!! DROID X DOES VOICE DIALING OVER BLUETOOTH!!!

(Sorry if this has already been mentioned)

This article says they paired it with an Aliph Jawbone Icon and it worked.

Check it out for yourself!
Motorola Droid X (Verizon Wireless) - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

this is old news, but I know a lot of people who have held off switching to android because of this feature. Its nice to see they have added it and I can totally understand the excitment!

Best Buy does not offer 1 year contracts, hence I will be buying it at Verizon.

At least my Best Buy doesnt.

Not true at my Best Buy. I actually was at my local corporate VZW store this morning and while waiting for their "experts" to come talk to me I was web browsing on the Incredible. I Googled Droid X and saw that preorders started today at Best Buy which was 15 minutes away. I asked the closest VZW rep if they were doing preorders yet and he said no. When I said I would be going to BB they tried to tell me I'd only be able to return the phone to Best Buy if I had any problems. When I told him I'd only be able to return the phone to VZW if I bought there he looked stupid. I also told him that BB is a straight $200 no rebate needed and he looked stupid yet again. I said I would think it over and headed over to BB. Upon arrival at BB I drilled the phone rep with questions:

Can the phone be bought outright and how much?- Yes and we don't have that price yet.

Does Best Buy do 1 year contracts?- Yes, there is a 1 year option, we don't know what the price for the phone is for that yet.

Can I get a refund if I get the phone elsewhere first? We give you a $50 gift card to reserve your phone which you will use towards the phone on release day. You can't get a refund for the gift card but can spend it towrds nything you want including Droid X accessories if you don't buy the phone.

Will you get officially branded Droid X accessories on launch day?- We should like we always do but we have no idea what we'll get until they arrive.

Do you honor NE2 discounts like Verizon?- We offer the lowest price on the phone so no. $199 is the lowest you'll get through us. (I was like WTF?)

What's Best Buy's return policy/Is there a restocking fee?- As long as the phone is in like-new condition you would get a refund with no restocking fee charged.

Are you guaranteed a Droid X if you preorder with BB?- We show July 15th in our system so you should. If we get less stock than expected then we sell them in the order we received the preorders for them.

So there you have it. Not too bad considering that you don't have to wait on a dumb rebate check and they'll still do a 1 year contract. So I put down my $50 and was FIRST to do so. I will be waiting at VZW regardless the morning of the 15th if they don't do preorders and if I get one there I'll just use my $50 BB gift card to buy the dock or car mount, HDMI cable, case, etc. Reason I'd lik to buy at VZW is to cash in that NE2 credit I have.

Uh yeah but what about people like me? I am a secondary line on a family plan. My upgrade date is in September of this year and my f'in contract end date is January 4th, 2011 (of course). Will I get the $299 price or not???

I don't see why customer service wouldn't move it up 5 days for ya, but I don't know if that would automatically qualify you for the promo.. Methinks not.. :(

I don't see why customer service wouldn't move it up 5 days for ya, but I don't know if that would automatically qualify you for the promo.. Methinks not.. :(

Why wouldn't it if they bumped up the date to be an eligible one?

And what is needed to get the 199 price at best buy?? They just said 2 year contracts, but what about ppl like me with current contracts ending in early January?? Will they just give me the 199 price no matter what?

Aaaand if you have to exchange the phone for an issue, can you do it at a Verizon if you got it from BB? If not, will BB just give you a new one in exchange for free like VZW would within a time period?

Okay, i was planning on trying to just talk the store into letting me do it anyway despite the 4 day different (that is, if they don't let you go by the upgrade date as well).

But in Best Buy, does this same rule apply for early upgrades? Where they will let you pay the 199 if you have the contract end date (or maybe upgrade date in my case) before 2011? Is BB following this same thing?? Nobody has confirmed who exactly gets to pay only 199 at BB when pre-ordered.

This is a VZW-only promo that BB cannot match- same with annual upgrades- can only be done through corporate. A store would not have the power to change an upgrade date, go through customer care.

This is a VZW-only promo that BB cannot match- same with annual upgrades- can only be done through corporate. A store would not have the power to change an upgrade date, go through customer care.

When you say go through customer care, do you mean just going to a real Verizon store on release day? Or like calling VZW customer service on release day? If possible to get it in-store that day, I would prefer that...

So there you have it. Not too bad considering that you don't have to wait on a dumb rebate check and they'll still do a 1 year contract. So I put down my $50 and was FIRST to do so. I will be waiting at VZW regardless the morning of the 15th if they don't do preorders and if I get one there I'll just use my $50 BB gift card to buy the dock or car mount, HDMI cable, case, etc. Reason I'd lik to buy at VZW is to cash in that NE2 credit I have.

I would do the same thing. I am eligible for my NE2 credit as well, and I'd like to utilize that discount. However, I would be pissed if I don't get the phone on the release date. I'd probably buy my accessories online if they're cheaper, and give the BB gift card as a birthday present haha.

My only predicament is that I jumped the gun and "preordered" the Droid X already through a reseller. Upon further examination of my preorder contract, it states that all prepaid sales are final. They also have that "cancel service within 181 days and pay a fee" B.S. going on... Looks like I'm stuck.

Why wouldn't it if they bumped up the date to be an eligible one?

And what is needed to get the 199 price at best buy?? They just said 2 year contracts, but what about ppl like me with current contracts ending in early January?? Will they just give me the 199 price no matter what?

Aaaand if you have to exchange the phone for an issue, can you do it at a Verizon if you got it from BB? If not, will BB just give you a new one in exchange for free like VZW would within a time period?

I'm not exactly sure on the whole moving-up-your-date thing.. Something tells me they go off your original contract, and customer care changing it wouldn't just automatically make you eligible.. I'm not the expert though- give them a call..

BB cannot honor the early upgrade promo, just like they don't honor NE2 or anything else that's VZW-specific. A phone purchased at BB has to be returned to BB, same with VZW.

I'm not exactly sure on the whole moving-up-your-date thing.. Something tells me they go off your original contract, and customer care changing it wouldn't just automatically make you eligible.. I'm not the expert though- give them a call..

BB cannot honor the early upgrade promo, just like they don't honor NE2 or anything else that's VZW-specific. A phone purchased at BB has to be returned to BB, same with VZW.

Okay, so to clarify, the only way you will pay $199 at Best Buy after pre-ordering this phone is if you are signing a new contract and not already on a contract?? Or is there a situation where you already are on a contract and somehow still get to pay $199 at BB?

Obviously I want to renew my contract for 2 more years, I wish BB would just let me re-sign a new one and give me the $199 price.

Not true at my Best Buy. I actually was at my local corporate VZW store this morning and while waiting for their "experts" to come talk to me I was web browsing on the Incredible.

<snipped to make the post shorter>

That's different than my experience at both places unless you're talking about 1 year contracts and not the annual upgrade. I've been told flat out that BB won't do the annual upgrade. I've also been IN VZW stores and told I'm not elligible for upgrade until my 2 year. I asked about the annual upgrade and they told me they couldn't do it in store, it had to be done on the phone.

That's different than my experience at both places unless you're talking about 1 year contracts and not the annual upgrade. I've been told flat out that BB won't do the annual upgrade. I've also been IN VZW stores and told I'm not elligible for upgrade until my 2 year. I asked about the annual upgrade and they told me they couldn't do it in store, it had to be done on the phone.

Definitely want to clarify that BB said there is a 1 year contract option for new customers or contract renewals for those that are currently month to month on Verizon (like me). The whole early renewal thing would have to be dealt with over the phone I believe as ibowtoandroid has been stating.

Definitely want to clarify that BB said there is a 1 year contract option for new customers or contract renewals for those that are currently month to month on Verizon (like me). The whole early renewal thing would have to be dealt with over the phone I believe as ibowtoandroid has been stating.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Okay, so to clarify, the only way you will pay $199 at Best Buy after pre-ordering this phone is if you are signing a new contract and not already on a contract?? Or is there a situation where you already are on a contract and somehow still get to pay $199 at BB?

Obviously I want to renew my contract for 2 more years, I wish BB would just let me re-sign a new one and give me the $199 price.

If you are eligible to upgrade on or before July 15th you can go to BB and grab this phone for 199.99 plus tax and walk out the door. You will not get a NE2 credit and you will not get a 100 rebate card in the mail. You don't have to be a new customer to get it, you just have to be eligible to upgrade.

Now at a Verizon corporate store, If you contract ends at ANY TIME in 2010 you can upgrade to this phone for 199.99. If you have NE2 you can walk out the door for 199.99 plus tax, and you will receive a 100 rebate card in the mail (making the price of the phone a very nice 99.99) If you do not have NE2 you will pay 299.99 in the store and you will receive a 100 rebate in the mail.

I get that I should talk to Verizon customer service on the phone in hopes of getting my contract end date pushed up 4 days to be eligible, but what circumstances will get you the $199 price at BB? I'm still confused on that. Obviously a person who is new to Verizon and getting a brand new contract would get the low price, but what about ppl who already have contracts ending soon? Who of those people get the $199 price at BB?

If you are eligible to upgrade on or before July 15th you can go to BB and grab this phone for 199.99 plus tax and walk out the door. You will not get a NE2 credit and you will not get a 100 rebate card in the mail. You don't have to be a new customer to get it, you just have to be eligible to upgrade.

Now at a Verizon corporate store, If you contract ends at ANY TIME in 2010 you can upgrade to this phone for 199.99. If you have NE2 you can walk out the door for 199.99 plus tax, and you will receive a 100 rebate card in the mail (making the price of the phone a very nice 99.99) If you do not have NE2 you will pay 299.99 in the store and you will receive a 100 rebate in the mail.

So what is the deal with my situation? Sorry to state it again, but no one has given a real answer if possible:

My NE2 upgrade date is in mid-September, and my contract end-date is January 4th, 2011.
I'm assuming that I won't get the $199 price from Best Buy, but will I get it from Verizon on the release date?

then unless you get your CONTRACT END DATE moved back to 12/31/2010, unfortunately you will have to wait until september to upgrade. At the press conference the guy from Verizon said in reference to the upgrade policy that they wanted "to get as many of these devices into peoples hands that we can". So maybe a call to customer service will bear you the fruit you so desire!

You will not be able to upgrade at EITHER place until september unless you get your date changed

and if you date does get changed then Verizon is the only place you will be able to upgrade

You can do annual upgrade online with Verizon. I just became eligible last week and the prices changed to reflect that. (before the prices were just full retail) And I'm pretty sure its an instant discount and not a $100 mail in rebate to do it online.

I haven't bought a phone through BB so no help there.

I believe NE2 doesn't always mean you get a $100 rebate card as in my case it would just be $50 because I'm on the 39.99 450 minutes plan.

the rebate is for anyone buying the phone at the subsidized price. If you buy your phone in the store you should get the rebate

then unless you get your CONTRACT END DATE moved back to 12/31/2010, unfortunately you will have to wait until september to upgrade. At the press conference the guy from Verizon said in reference to the upgrade policy that they wanted "to get as many of these devices into peoples hands that we can". So maybe a call to customer service will bear you the fruit you so desire!

I don't know what everyone else has been told but I was told that it is actually impossible for them to move your contract end date. They can move your upgrade date, but not the contract end date.

With that said, I was told that I would be getting called on the 15th to have an order placed for me, they were going to allow me to upgrade. I called back to confirm and they said they had notes in there about that and I would be able to upgrade on the 15th.

So it looks like they just pushed my upgrade date up from November, or they are going to. I am still going to go into the store on the 15th and see if they can do it so I don't have to wait for the rep on the phone to place me an order.

the rebate stays the same, if you're on that low of a plan then your Ne2 credit is what drops to 50 bucks

So my scenario would be this:

- Renew with a 1 year contract and assuming the phone would be $369.99 (like Droid Incredible currently is) at this contract time.
- mail in rebate of $100 brings phone down to $269.99
- my new every 2 credit of $50 gets applied bringing it down to $219.99

If this is the case then it sounds great! I'll only be tied to it for 1 year too and can upgrade when all the new, dual camera, gingerbread, LTE, etc. bad ass phones show up next year.

^
Sorry if this is wrong, but I am under the impression that if you have a NE2 and you want to apply it you have to sign a two year contract, and you cannot sign a 1 year contract. Hence the New Early 2, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry if this is wrong, but I am under the impression that if you have a NE2 and you want to apply it you have to sign a two year contract, and you cannot sign a 1 year contract. Hence the New Early 2, please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, this will be my first contract renewal with Verizon so I don't know. I hope you're wrong but I put in my 2 years so i hope I get something to show for it even if I only renew on a 1 year contract.

Back
Top Bottom