• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Samsung Fascinate Pre-Release Thread***

That brings up another issue Kings. the spyglass to activate all of the voice search/navigations option only use Bing. You have to get Google Maps Nav. from the market but even then, the voice options only work from within the app itself. I'm sure once its out and root is available the problem will cease to be a problem at all.

Well Lucky, thanks. That just bites. Having never rooted and reading about root problems (only when it does not work) I am not thrilled about the prospect. Once I check out the camera (a real weak spot on the D1 with all it's 8mp) and see all other experiences I may go for it and root if it is a MUST have. Lucky for me that I am not due until Nov and will have all of this sorted out by then. The X is a little big and the Dinc is a tad small. Just like Goldie Locks, the Fascinate is just right but all screwed up by VZW that as far as I can tell can be made right.

Upvote 0
There are already guys that think they can crack that.. removing bing and setting google so it comes up as default. I'm sure it will be done fairly quickly. I'm not even sure you'll need to root to do that, but we'll find out. Rooting will be the way to go anyway to get rid of the bloatware.

Did you guys read that- no way to change car navigate from VZW:mad:. Luckily I never go there, I simply voice in my google browser widget "Navigate to nearest gas station" and voila. I will wait to see if you really can de bing it and retain all of the google stuff via apps. I am skeptical. Cnet says you can't but what do they know and of course they act as if rooting does not exist. Only another day to find out. The GPS signal is a deal breaker too if it is bad. I rely on my D1 for all navigation and it is superb. This fascinate has to be as good.

Upvote 0
Hey all. My first post here. I currently have the Inc and love the phone. My daughters phone to a dump and I had to go to Verizon to get her a new one so she didn't have to go a whole night with out a phone!! lol. We got to Verizon right when the were closing. Thank god for my sake that they let us in. All the employees were huddled around checking something out. It was the Fascinate! I know one of the guys through college. I was able to go hands on with the phone. Let me remind everyone that I am a die-hard Inc fan!! The Fascinate was AWESOME!! I live in Ohio and did quite a few Fascinate vs Inc test. Let me start by saying that the camera/video is most important to me as I have three kids and use both ALL the time. I took several identical photos.....the Fascinate picture were UNREAL!! Even better than my beloved Inc!! The camcorder was sick! Again, better than my Inc! I did (the best I could) hitting the Youtube simultaneous, Fascinate again!!! You get the picture here......every comparison I did put the Fascinate ahead, well ahead. I have heard nothing but horrible things about Bing, I kind of liked it. Every Market place app they had down loaded worked, not issues at all!!! I NEVER thought I would say this, but first thing Friday, I will be getting one!!!!

Upvote 0
Hey all. My first post here. I currently have the Inc and love the phone. My daughters phone to a dump and I had to go to Verizon to get her a new one so she didn't have to go a whole night with out a phone!! lol. We got to Verizon right when the were closing. Thank god for my sake that they let us in. All the employees were huddled around checking something out. It was the Fascinate! I know one of the guys through college. I was able to go hands on with the phone. Let me remind everyone that I am a die-hard Inc fan!! The Fascinate was AWESOME!! I live in Ohio and did quite a few Fascinate vs Inc test. Let me start by saying that the camera/video is most important to me as I have three kids and use both ALL the time. I took several identical photos.....the Fascinate picture were UNREAL!! Even better than my beloved Inc!! The camcorder was sick! Again, better than my Inc! I did (the best I could) hitting the Youtube simultaneous, Fascinate again!!! You get the picture here......every comparison I did put the Fascinate ahead, well ahead. I have heard nothing but horrible things about Bing, I kind of liked it. Every Market place app they had down loaded worked, not issues at all!!! I NEVER thought I would say this, but first thing Friday, I will be getting one!!!!

I cant wait to get a hold of one either even after all of the negative reviews and what not. For me it is about how i feel about a phone if i like it and it does what i want it to do then who cares what someone else thinks. Too many people worry about what kind of review it got and not if it is what they want.

Upvote 0
I agree my friend. That is the whole reason I never even thought about the Fascinate comparing to my Inc. Thank god I got a hold of one. It really was awesome. I can't wait till you see that screen in person!! It is crazy! Everything just seemed easier for me to use on it. It was very customizable in my opinion. Going from screen to screen was very smooth as well. My college buddy that works there also made the comment about have a preconceived opinion about the device due to all the stuff flying aboud on the net. His opinion was quickly changed as well. Swype worked perfectly!!!! I really can't say enough about it for the 10 mins I had it.

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
I agree my friend. That is the whole reason I never even thought about the Fascinate comparing to my Inc. Thank god I got a hold of one. It really was awesome. I can't wait till you see that screen in person!! It is crazy! Everything just seemed easier for me to use on it. It was very customizable in my opinion. Going from screen to screen was very smooth as well. My college buddy that works there also made the comment about have a preconceived opinion about the device due to all the stuff flying aboud on the net. His opinion was quickly changed as well. Swype worked perfectly!!!! I really can't say enough about it for the 10 mins I had it.

Big, hi-rez screens on phones are really nice. And Swype ... wow. Been using Swype for two days and I love it. It really does work!!! When you first start the tutorial you're like, "What's up with this scribbly crap!?!" Then you try it and think, "Well, maybe it's not so bad, but I'm sure not as fast as the demo!" So decide to try it for the rest of the week. Two days go by (or less for some people, I bet!) and you LOVE it!!

You can type normally or scribbly. Train words, tap-hold for numbers and symbols like the HTC Sense keyboard.

And honestly, I just rooted my Droid X, then put Launcher Pro on it. SPLENDID phone now. Think gets great battery life. It's about as close as I've ever gotten to the perfect phone, and man is it FAST.

Expect the Fascinate, which should be even easier to root and custom ROM to soon be everything (software wise) that we want it to be. And the extended battery, if it really fits like they said - in the stock casing - then it will come a lot closer to the Droid X in performance. Going from 1500 to 2200 is no small change! That's like 50% more battery power!!

The only thing about the Fascinate that is still hurting my feelings is the 2GB internal. A rooted droid gives you full access to put whatever you want on the internal memory so it's always there, card or no card. Having some ringtones and some wallpapers and all my apps on the internal memory so that even if the card dies or is needed out of my phone for some reason they're still accessible on the phone.

And there's no way even the fastest of MicroSDHC cards is going to come close to the performance of Samsung's great internal NAND storage on this phone. The 2GB is really a shame. Froyo or not, there are some things I just want to have on the phone part of the phone.

Upvote 0
Good points!! It will be interesting to see what can be done once rooted. I hope a lot of changes can/will be made. The first thing I'm going to test on Friday is the GPS. I use this function a lot and I need it to work......I will be keeping my Inc until the 30 day trial is coming to a close. I will keep the better device.

Upvote 0
Well, today is the day. I love all of the good things I hear about the screen and camera. I MUST have accurate GPS, Google voice search, Google Nav by voice. I love my D1 except for the camera and thick body. Can't wait until you guys start to post your experiences and I am optimistic that the fascinate can be customized to do what I want it to do.

Upvote 0
Did you try the GPS out brah?

Yea, it works great. I tried it as I was leaving Best Buy with phone in hand. Worked great. Tried it as I was driving. Worked great. I just tried it as I am now sitting in my apartment. Keep in mind that I am on the bottom floor of a 2 story apartment building. It took a little longer to pinpoint my location but it did it in a matter of seconds.

Upvote 0
Yea, it works great. I tried it as I was leaving Best Buy with phone in hand. Worked great. Tried it as I was driving. Worked great. I just tried it as I am now sitting in my apartment. Keep in mind that I am on the bottom floor of a 2 story apartment building. It took a little longer to pinpoint my location but it did it in a matter of seconds.

Some thoughts after handling both and playing games and apps on them side by side:

As for the Fascinate, all I can say is wow. The screen was impressive. However, the Droid X didn't look as bad as I thought it would after playing on the sammy for a while. 3D games like NFS were smoother.

This is going to be a tough choice. After playing with the Fascinate I'm leaning back towards it now. It certainly feels much more comfortable in the hand than the Droid X.

Just to report, I have a rooted Droid X with Launcher Pro. I've killed some of the bloat and use AutoKiller and no other task managing app killing programs. I have battery life set to the Smart plan.

It's been unplugged for over 20 hrs now, and there's still 30% charge left, which is amazing. I've browsed the web, made about 3 hrs of voice calls, used the flashlight several times, played games on it, and let some of the kids I work with play games on it. I've also emailed and texted quite a bit. Haven't needed the nav. I only need it when I go to a new client's house, and I have a full case load now, so I won't likely need it for a while, but I'm sure it works fine. I don't have it enabled though. I do enable wi-fi on and off throughout the day depending on where I am.

The Droid X battery life, call quality, and reception are just staggering. The root was crazy-stupid-simple. With launcher pro everything is fast, smooth, responsive, and pretty much perfect. And I really like the stock music player with it's corny visualizations. This phone has a lot to love.

Now, after handling the Fascinate, here's where I now realize that it falls short:

1. Screen: No surprise here, but not as far short as I thought it would. The Droid X screen is actually a great screen that really impresses. The Fascinate's screen is simply extraordinary.

2. The hump: Not a big deal, it's just weird, and where the Fascinate takes ZERO "getting used to" in the hand, the Droid X is still not comfortable for me yet, and part of the reason is the odd hump.

3. The square edges: I realize that the square edges probably play a part in allowing this design to accommodate an extra 54 pixels over the 4" droids. However, it's simply not as comfortable in the pocket or the hand because of this.

4. Power/screen on button: What in the HECK was Moto thinking when they put the power button on the top-middle of such a large phone, and by that extra thick hump?? What a bunch of malarkey!! I can't get used to that at all, and it's very difficult to naturally and comfortably pull off with a one handed grip. You can just push the home button with your thumb, but that's so close to the edge it's not natural or comfortable either. The samsung button is PERFECT. They could not have put it in a better place. When I grab the phone it's automatically and quite naturally right were my finger is. A simple push and the screen is on. If I'm holding it right handed, it's right there with an easy push of the thumb. Volume buttons are on the exact opposite side. Why couldn't the Droid X do this??

5. Physical buttons: I actually usually tend to prefer physical buttons. I just like them. Call me old fashioned. However, when using the phone in bed, the click is audible enough it bugs me in a silent bedroom, and could possibly wake my wife. I read on the phone enough at night to justify wanting the silent touch buttons. And the sound the vibrate makes on the Samsung is a touch quieter than the vibration on the Droid X. I like the vibrate feedback to know I touched something, but it's more subtle on the Fascinate.

6. Gaming: In non 3D games, which are many, the 3D graphics is not so important. In 3D games, even though the Droid X is great, again, the Fascinate is extraordinary. The NFS demo for example is perfectly playable on the Droid X, but it was LIQUID SMOOTH on the Fascinate. I'm not exaggerating ONE BIT. It was killer. I thought I was on a mini PS3 or something ...

7. Video playback: I've had to format all movies to H.264 MP4 files in order to get them to playback on the stock droid video player. While they look fantastic and playback exceptionally smooth, you're limited heavily on supported formats, and resolutions.

Now that the gripes against the Droid X are out of the way, time to lay aside a couple of original fears I had about the Fascinate:

1. Battery life: Should come to within 10-15% of the Droid X with its extended battery. I reckon you'll get even closer with some tweaks and bloat removal post root. And if the Droid can make it 26 hrs on one charge, 16-18 on the Samsung will easily get me through a workday. And again, I think with some rooting, tweaking, and a big fat 2200 battery we can do even better than that!

2. Build quality: I thought it looked like stupid glossy plastic. I thought it would feel cheap. It is glossy plastic, but it doesn't look stupid in person, and it doesn't feel one bit cheap. It feels like a classy, polished, sleek, and elegant phone. Yet it protrudes a simplicity with it's minimalistic and very black design that with the screen off, it definitely doesn't look like a spaceship. It honestly looks like the most perfectly ergonomic and sleekly designed phone I've ever seen in my life.

Don't take this lightly. I minored in art, and I love things that look good. This is BY FAR the best looking designed Galaxy S phone. BY FAR. I realize that this is my opinion, but it's based on seeing and personally using, selling, activating, returning, or owning hundreds of phones. This phone looks and feels SICK. I tend to like the rubberized matte stuff, but this stupid Fascinate has won me over to the "dark side". It's phenomenally well executed. Even the Verizon guy couldn't believe how well it felt and looked. It was a little small town partner store that only got one phone in, and he hadn't even opened it - never seen one in person yet. I was in there looking at it with him and a friend of mine. We were all impressed with the Droid X already, but the Fascinate blew us away.

Those are the initial thoughts. Here's what I lose if I switch:

1. Gobs of internal memory. :(
2. A little battery life. (won't be an issue with ext. batt.)
3. Google search/nav. (I'm sure we root-happy folk will see Bing-free ROMs and fixes down the pipe ... I HOPE!)
4. HDMI out. (this is only partially to mostly functional on the DX. You'd have FULLY functional standard def video all the time on the Fascinate, so it's not a total loss by any means)

Anyhow. Hope this is helpful to folks that are considering both phones, and folks that haven't gotten (or won't get) a chance to have a hands-on with the Fascinate. I am leaning back towards the Fascinate now, and honestly I had to play with one to see that screen, feel the sleek feel, and actually use the buttons in my hand. The day to day experience with the design of the Fascinate, in my opinion, will be much more smooth and ergonomic, and buttons will be silent and automatic. Those things are aspects of a phone you have to deal with EVERY TIME you use it, and they certainly stack up against the lack of some internal memory or an HDMI port. You've got to weigh the usability and comfort factors against the raw feature factors because they are just as important on a device you're going to be spending so many hours on, for both work and play.

Upvote 0
the reason they don't do that is because it would cost way too much to make the phone both LTE and CDMA. and that would, for the most part be a waste of money for them cause even when the LTE is released it will only be in a few markets so only a small percentage of people will be able to use it.
they could have put a FFC on the phone but it would serve no purpose on a CDMA network unless people were really self-absorbed and only wanted to take pictures of themselves.

someone just posted over at droidlife, it would appear that the incredible that launched back in june has 4g capability in a hidden menu. must cost to muck money to unhide that menu

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones